USWNT Sportsmanship vs Thailand

Did you have a problem with the USWNT running up the score?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

So they're the worst team in the NFL playoffs. Let's patronize them and take it easy, not celebrate or have any fun after scoring in the World Cup.

I'm sure the other five teams that scored an average of four goals a match against them didn't celebrate any of those goals.

You are trying really hard to stick up for something that no one posting here actually watched until completion.  

I’ll start by saying I don’t like soccer and don’t pay attention to it. But I have no problem with scoring all the goals you can in World Cup play. There are a bunch of good reasons to;

1- Goal differential matters

2- It is the pinnacle of these player’s careers. They shouldn’t have to throttle their play.

3- There is no mercy rule and apparently substitutions are limited. That is the governing associations problem to address.

4- If you wanna run with the big dogs you’ve gotta get off the porch. I mean I feel some sympathy for Thailand because they are clearly outclassed on the WC stage but that is how sports work. It’s their job to get better, not our job to play down to the competition.

5- You can’t dial down at this level without consequences. They will be facing much tougher competition and you want your players at peak performance for later rounds. It’s not an easy task to get that edge back if you dial it down for an inferior opponent.

As far as the much talked about “celebrations”, imo soccer celebrations are generally all excessive and frankly, ridiculous. I probably feel this way partly because I don’t particularly care for the sport but the celebrations and crowds are over the top. It could be a nondescript game of little importance and they go absolutely bonkers over a goal. NHL hockey teams that have just won the Stanley Cup are at about 10-20% of a typical run of the mill soccer game goal. So, accepting that it is just that way in the soccer world, what the US women did was nothing. There is no reason a player should not be able to celebrate any goal or 5 goals in World Cup play. And it was obvious their celebrations were not in any way intended to taunt or make fun of the other team.

It just is what is, a much better team delivered an asskicking to an inferior opponent. Time for some people to grow up and realize there are winners and losers, especially in sports.

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, teachercd said:

....no one posting here actually watched until completion.  

Truth. I did not even know the World Cup was going on until the news reports afterwards. If it wouldn’t have been such a lopsided game resulting in all the pearl clutching I still wouldn’t know a thing about it.

4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Truth. I did not even know the World Cup was going on until the news reports afterwards. If it wouldn’t have been such a lopsided game resulting in all the pearl clutching I still wouldn’t know a thing about it.

I texted my buddy the other day and asked him what he was doing (He is a big soccer fan because his son plays) and he replied:

"Watching the World Cup, come on over, I have beer"

I was bored so I figured why not, he lives 2 minutes from me...I got there and walked in...I sat down and he got me a beer and we were chatting...15 minutes later I looked at him and said "Oh, women's world cup?" and he said "Yep!  The men don't play until _________" and then we changed the subject...and the station. 

With that said...they need to do everything that they can to get eyeballs on the sport and sponsors and ratings.  

Shoot they should be having HS and College soccer players tweet in their best rendition of the celebrations and play them during the game on American TV...they should get as many people watching as they can.