DrunkOffPunch

USWNT Sportsmanship vs Thailand

Did you have a problem with the USWNT running up the score?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the opening game of the WWC for the US, they played an outmatched Thailand team and won 13-0. There has been some heavy conversation since about a lack of sportsmanship from the US squad for running up the score or excessively celebrating such goals. A counter argument to this is that this is the biggest stage in the women's soccer world. As kids they dream of being on this stage and if you don't want them to score/celebrate, then stop them. Also, since goal differential can determine whether you make it out of the group stage, you might need every goal you can get. To be fair the vast majority of the conversation has been about the excessive celebrations. 

What do you think?

Absolutely zero issues with the amount of goals scored. It's the highest level of competition, and goals scored is a tiebreaker, so there's no reason to let off the gas pedal for anyone. That being said, there's something to say about "acting like you've been there before", particularly when you're ahead as massively as the USWNT was. 

• Plus1 1

To start off I have no problem with the score. If you can score 30 do it. On the other hand I do have a problem with the excessive celebration. The USWNT has been no stranger to controversy in loss (pretty much just Hope Solo). To me, it's not good look.

This is the celebration that people are really talking about. A veteran who's been on this stage before who scored the 9th goal late in the game. Thailand's team is a bunch of amateurs. I will say the USWNT did console some of Thailand's players after the game, which is nice, but this just seems disrespectful to me.

• Eyeroll 1

I have a problem with the premise of your first question.  It implies - possibly unintentionally - that they were running up the score.  I don't think they were trying to embarrass anyone - which is implied by "running up the score".  They were a good team playing a bad team.  Their goalie was terrible.  They litreally looked like they were barely trying out there - they couldn't even keep the ball with us applying minimal pressure.  We routinely got wide open right in front of the the net.

The only thing we could have done differently was kick it back and forth in our own end and not even try.  

• Plus1 2

Running up the score is not a problem. They are serious athletes who should not stop competing until the game is over.

But i’ve never really liked the big show-offy celebrations in any sport unless it is an actual championship moment or something like a dramatic comeback. Some of those celebrations were unnecessary and a bit unbecoming.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I have a problem with the premise of your first question.  It implies - possibly unintentionally - that they were running up the score.  I don't think they were trying to embarrass anyone - which is implied by "running up the score".  They were a good team playing a bad team.  Their goalie was terrible.  They litreally looked like they were barely trying out there - they couldn't even keep the ball with us applying minimal pressure.  We routinely got wide open right in front of the the net.

The only thing we could have done differently was kick it back and forth in our own end and not even try.  

It was mostly unintentional. It was somewhat of a talking point on sports media. 95% of it centered around the celebrations, but since it was being talked about in such a way, I thought I would just word it how it was in the media. Like I said, score 30 if you can, but I think it's pretty natural to call it 'running up the score' when there's such a huge win margin. To be fair I don't think we were running up the score.

Zero problem with either the score or the joy after the score.

This is the World Cup, the highest level of competition in the sport. Thailand qualified to be there, they weren't just handed a spot. If you're good enough to make it there, you're good enough to put up a fight.

Scoring a goal in the World Cup is what every one of these women dreamed of growing up. It's a lifelong goal. They get a goal and they're just supposed to... what? Mope around and not celebrate? 

Melvin Gordon ran for 408 yards on Nebraska in about three quarters of work, and he celebrated every touchdown, every first down, with cheers and high-fives with his teammates. If we didn't want him doing that, we should have stopped him. Our guys are on scholarship, too.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

To start off I have no problem with the score. If you can score 30 do it. On the other hand I do have a problem with the excessive celebration. The USWNT has been no stranger to controversy in loss (pretty much just Hope Solo). To me, it's not good look.

This is the celebration that people are really talking about. A veteran who's been on this stage before who scored the 9th goal late in the game. Thailand's team is a bunch of amateurs. I will say the USWNT did console some of Thailand's players after the game, which is nice, but this just seems disrespectful to me.

I have no problem with this celebration. She’s celebrating with her team and not taunting the other team. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Scoring a goal in the World Cup is what every one of these women dreamed of growing up. It's a lifelong goal. They get a goal and they're just supposed to... what? Mope around and not celebrate? 

Yeah at first I thought it was kind of dumb to celebrate like that that late in a blowout, but then I thought about how amazing it must be to score a goal on that stage, even if it's 100 to 0. I'd be celebrating my a$$ off having so much fun.

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

Melvin Gordon ran for 408 yards on Nebraska in about three quarters of work, and he celebrated every touchdown, every first down, with cheers and high-fives with his teammates. If we didn't want him doing that, we should have stopped him. Our guys are on scholarship, too.

Nobody has said that though. It’s the excessiveness people have a problem with. Again coming from a vet that has scored in WCs before.

It would be more like if Melvin Gordon had that performance against Wayne State and did a pirouette into a slide and some leg farts on rout to a 130-0 blowout.

There is a big difference between high fives and cheers with your teammates, versus choreographed dancing in the middle of the field when you are up by a dozen scores.

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Nobody has said that though. It’s the excessiveness people have a problem with. Again coming from a vet that has scored in WCs before. 

It would be more like if Melvin Gordon had that performance against Wayne State and did a pirouette into a slide and some leg farts on rout to a 130-0 blowout. 

So Thailand, who made it to the World Cup, through qualifying rounds and friendlies, is analogous to a D2 school playing a money game in early September.

Not seeing that.

Your better analogy would be 1995 Nebraska trouncing Florida, up by several touchdowns, and Christian Peter dances into the end zone on a fumble recovery.

All of Nebraska celebrated with him (even though the TD was called back).  Now we're supposed to be upset that these players celebrated too much after fulfilling a lifelong dream?

I'm more upset Thailand didn't play better. What they put on the pitch was more offensive to the sport than anything the Americans did.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

I'll admit, I never even thought of this reason. Maybe this is true, maybe not. But this is funny, true or not.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

So Thailand, who made it to the World Cup, through qualifying rounds and friendlies, is analogous to a D2 school playing a money game in early September.

Not seeing that.

Your better analogy would be 1995 Nebraska trouncing Florida, up by several touchdowns, and Christian Peter dances into the end zone on a fumble recovery.

All of Nebraska celebrated with him (even though the TD was called back).  Now we're supposed to be upset that these players celebrated too much after fulfilling a lifelong dream?

I'm more upset Thailand didn't play better. What they put on the pitch was more offensive to the sport than anything the Americans did.

It's actually closer to true than one would think. They qualified for the WC by finishing 4th in the 2018 Asia Cup. They've lost their last 6 matches by a combined score of 31-3 (the USA game being an outlier, that's still 18-3). None of their players play with an international club. Only two of their players play in Thai League 2, which I'm assuming is the second national league in Thailand, but I can't actually find any info on a women's League 1. Also, this is the country's second World Cup. 

This has been my dissertation on Thailand's Women's World Cup squad. Thank you for listening. 

So they're the worst team in the NFL playoffs. Let's patronize them and take it easy, not celebrate or have any fun after scoring in the World Cup.

I'm sure the other five teams that scored an average of four goals a match against them didn't celebrate any of those goals.

• Plus1 1

USWNT is taking no prisoners. I think they are taking the approach of a bulldozer. No quit at any second so you dont lose your edge.

I wouldnt have celebrated that way, but when you think about how much work they have put in, they have every right to be happy. 

Regardless of the number of world cups they have been in, it is still an honor to win and be successful. 

They have put even a larger target on their back and better be ready to feel no mercy from another team. I dont think they care though.

19 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So they're the worst team in the NFL playoffs. Let's patronize them and take it easy, not celebrate or have any fun after scoring in the World Cup.

I'm sure the other five teams that scored an average of four goals a match against them didn't celebrate any of those goals.

I would say they're closer to the worst team in the NCAA tournament, if that team backed in by finishing 4th in their conference tournament. 

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I would say they're closer to the worst team in the NCAA tournament, if that team backed in by finishing 4th in their conference tournament. 

We can massage the analogy forever. Bottom line is, they're in the World Cup, they should stop us from scoring, and if they can't, we have a right to celebrate it without being accused of poor sportsmanship. These kinds of celebrations happen every year in bowl games, in NFL playoff games, all over sports.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We can massage the analogy forever. Bottom line is, they're in the World Cup, they should stop us from scoring, and if they can't, we have a right to celebrate it without being accused of poor sportsmanship. These kinds of celebrations happen every year in bowl games, in NFL playoff games, all over sports.

Oh, I have no problem with the outcome, and only minor problems with the celebrations; I was just adding a bit of context. 

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Not seeing that.

You’re getting too hung up on the label World Cup. 

Lets not act like excessive celebration isn’t a thing in all sports. In the NFL you get fined. In the NCAA you get flagged. In soccer you get carded. Nobody has said you can’t be excited or celebrate. It’s the way you do it especially when you’re the #1 team playing a team that only got in because North Korea got caught doping and the WWC expanded from 16 to 24. (NK said their players got struck by lightning so they used traditional medicine on them no joke.)

There are unwritten rules in soccer. Like when a player gets seriously injured you kick the ball out so the medical staff can look at them. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

How many Americans were carded during the Thailand match?

None, but that’s missing the point. You don’t get carded for continuous play after a player is seriously injured or for not giving the ball back to a team that kicked the ball out so a player could get medical attention either.

• Sad 1

Just now, DrunkOffPunch said:

None, but that’s missing the point. You don’t get carded for continuous play after a player is seriously injured or for not giving the ball back to a team that kicked the ball out so a player could get medical attention either.

This is Thailand's best team - not the point.

This is the world's highest level of competition in this sport - not the point.

There were no penalties administered for excessive celebration - not the point.

The Americans were living out their childhood dreams of scoring in the World Cup - not the point.

Teams throughout the recorded history of sports celebrate scores - not the point.

I am all ears - what is "the point?"  :lol:

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

In the NFL you get fined. In the NCAA you get flagged.

In the NFL and NCAA they get fined/flagged if the celebration was considered as taunting or demeaning the other team.

Please show where that happened here?  All I have seen is her celebrating while running towards her own bench.  Nothing was done towards an opposing player, fan, coach or anyone associated with Thailand.  

Maybe I haven't seen the offending action???

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is Thailand's best team - not the point.

This is the world's highest level of competition in this sport - not the point.

There were no penalties administered for excessive celebration - not the point.

The Americans were living out their childhood dreams of scoring in the World Cup - not the point.

Teams throughout the recorded history of sports celebrate scores - not the point.

I am all ears - what is "the point?"  :lol:

Sportsmanship. You’re creating arguements that I’m not arguing against. Again, not the act of celebrating, the excessiveness in which you do it. 

• Plus1 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, DrunkOffPunch said:

Sportsmanship. You’re creating arguements that I’m not arguing against. Again, not the act of celebrating, the excessiveness in which you do it. 

In your hugely subjective opinion the Americans were exhibiting bad sportsmanship.

I hugely disagree with that take.

And for the record I have no idea who's giving you those eyerolls up there. It's not me.

• Plus1 1

40 minutes ago, knapplc said:

In your hugely subjective opinion the Americans were exhibiting bad sportsmanship.

I hugely disagree with that take.

And for the record I have no idea who's giving you those eyerolls up there. It's not me.

It’s fine that you disagree I didn’t think I would have a popular take on this. No hate, just sharing my opinion. :thumbs

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

If Melvin Gordon had that performance against Wayne State but it was in the National Championship game, leg fart and celebrate and dance your damn heart out Melvin. You've reached the pinnacle and achieved a once in a lifetime dream, enjoy it.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

You are trying really hard to stick up for something that no one posting here actually watched until completion.  

• Eyeroll 2

I’ll start by saying I don’t like soccer and don’t pay attention to it. But I have no problem with scoring all the goals you can in World Cup play. There are a bunch of good reasons to;

1- Goal differential matters

2- It is the pinnacle of these player’s careers. They shouldn’t have to throttle their play.

3- There is no mercy rule and apparently substitutions are limited. That is the governing associations problem to address.

4- If you wanna run with the big dogs you’ve gotta get off the porch. I mean I feel some sympathy for Thailand because they are clearly outclassed on the WC stage but that is how sports work. It’s their job to get better, not our job to play down to the competition.

5- You can’t dial down at this level without consequences. They will be facing much tougher competition and you want your players at peak performance for later rounds. It’s not an easy task to get that edge back if you dial it down for an inferior opponent.

As far as the much talked about “celebrations”, imo soccer celebrations are generally all excessive and frankly, ridiculous. I probably feel this way partly because I don’t particularly care for the sport but the celebrations and crowds are over the top. It could be a nondescript game of little importance and they go absolutely bonkers over a goal. NHL hockey teams that have just won the Stanley Cup are at about 10-20% of a typical run of the mill soccer game goal. So, accepting that it is just that way in the soccer world, what the US women did was nothing. There is no reason a player should not be able to celebrate any goal or 5 goals in World Cup play. And it was obvious their celebrations were not in any way intended to taunt or make fun of the other team.

It just is what is, a much better team delivered an asskicking to an inferior opponent. Time for some people to grow up and realize there are winners and losers, especially in sports.

• Plus1 1

41 minutes ago, teachercd said:

....no one posting here actually watched until completion.  

Truth. I did not even know the World Cup was going on until the news reports afterwards. If it wouldn’t have been such a lopsided game resulting in all the pearl clutching I still wouldn’t know a thing about it.

4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Truth. I did not even know the World Cup was going on until the news reports afterwards. If it wouldn’t have been such a lopsided game resulting in all the pearl clutching I still wouldn’t know a thing about it.

I texted my buddy the other day and asked him what he was doing (He is a big soccer fan because his son plays) and he replied:

"Watching the World Cup, come on over, I have beer"

I was bored so I figured why not, he lives 2 minutes from me...I got there and walked in...I sat down and he got me a beer and we were chatting...15 minutes later I looked at him and said "Oh, women's world cup?" and he said "Yep!  The men don't play until _________" and then we changed the subject...and the station. 

With that said...they need to do everything that they can to get eyeballs on the sport and sponsors and ratings.  

Shoot they should be having HS and College soccer players tweet in their best rendition of the celebrations and play them during the game on American TV...they should get as many people watching as they can.

• Eyeroll 3

My god, they are in the f#&%ing World Cup. I was on soccer teams when I was 9 that scored more than 10 goals. We kept scoring and we kept celebrating.

• Plus1 2

8 hours ago, teachercd said:

You are trying really hard to stick up for something that no one posting here actually watched until completion.  

False. 

• Plus1 1