Will Bolt Named New Husker Coach

5 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

All the people mentioned previously. The only issue I have is the no HC experience. Moos said he wanted someone with HC experience. So going back on that sucks. Erstad was a first time head coach too. We have some good ball players and I hope none of them leave due to the coaching change.

Erstad was a first time anything. He'd never been a head coach, never been an assistant coach, never had any coaching capacity whatsoever other than a year of volunteering.

Anyways, I don't know if this translates the same way into baseball, but in football previous head coaching experience is no proven barometer of future success. Any given year you look at the top 25 and 30-50% of the teams are led by first time head coaches. 

Anyways still, Bolt has four years of head coaching experience, three years of experience as an associate head coach, and five years of experience as an assistant coach.

• Plus1 2

I'm intrigued to see how the things Bolt brings to the table will help the Huskers take the next step from the foundation laid by Erstad. I think Erstad left the program in a pretty decent spot, add in the fire and energy (among other things needed) Bolt brings and who knows what may be on the horizon.

15 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

All the people mentioned previously. The only issue I have is the no HC experience. Moos said he wanted someone with HC experience. So going back on that sucks. Erstad was a first time head coach too. We have some good ball players and I hope none of them leave due to the coaching change.

EDIT: @Landlord beat me to it.  

16 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

I think it is pretty clear that Moos’s comments indicated he was going after Childress. Only after Childress publicly said we wasn’t going anywhere did Moos go to Plan B (and save the university some money in the process). 

21 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

I think it is pretty clear that Moos’s comments indicated he was going after Childress. Only after Childress publicly said we wasn’t going anywhere did Moos go to Plan B (and save the university some money in the process). 

I would be interested in how much $$$ Moos was discussing with Childress. Moos claims that the only person he offered the job to was Bolt, so it might not have gotten that far, but it'd be a good indication of how serious he's taking the baseball program. 

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I would be interested in how much $$$ Moos was discussing with Childress. Moos claims that the only person he offered the job to was Bolt, so it might not have gotten that far, but it'd be a good indication of how serious he's taking the baseball program. 

He could of found about the buyout and/or Childress desire to stay a&m without a job offer.   It's called an interview. 

Welp, given that Childress and DVH weren't up there, Bolt was next up there on my list with O'Connor. Obviously the latter has more HC experience but much like Erstad - and Frost - I think the fact Bolt having actually worn the scarlet and cream is very helpful for him understanding expectations for the program. Particularly since Bolt was here during the peak years of NU baseball under DVH.

Hopefully Bolt can build a quality staff given how little we're paying him. A little underwhelmed with Christy as a pitching coach - he's never actually coached them before.

3 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Welp, given that Childress and DVH weren't up there, Bolt was next up there on my list with O'Connor. Obviously the latter has more HC experience but much like Erstad - and Frost - I think the fact Bolt having actually worn the scarlet and cream is very helpful for him understanding expectations for the program. Particularly since Bolt was here during the peak years of NU baseball under DVH.

Hopefully Bolt can build a quality staff given how little we're paying him. A little underwhelmed with Christy as a pitching coach - he's never actually coached them before.

Christy as a pitching coach is very underwhelming.  

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Christy as a pitching coach is very underwhelming.  

I agree with this. 

I do like the addition of Harvell as hitting coach though.   He was one of the guys that Aggies wanted to replace Bolt with.   

• Plus1 1

The former University of Nebraska standout was added to the Texas A&M Baseball staff in August of 2017. Christy mentors the catchers as well as handling duties pertaining to on-campus recruiting and development of scouting reports. He also handles chores as the first base coach.

To be honest, why in the actual F&** is he handling pitchers? Just because he caught previously?

Honestly I would've been fine with keeping Silva but this is something I don't understand.

Back when Christy played for Nebraska the coaching staff let him call his own games.   He also handled a couple of A&M games when Childress wasn't there and did well.  I think he will do fine as far as pitch calls and staff management.   The part that is harder to guess about for me would be pitching mechanics & development.   I do  not know much about baseball but maybe coaching pitching is more about how to recognize when mechanics are off and correcting those flaws and not as much about developing pitches?   So maybe it takes a good eye  vs practical experience in throwing pitches?  Maybe there is someone on the board that can speak to this as I am  guessing.

Time will tell on that.  Catchers generally make good coaches.  I think folks agree on that. 

It should be noted that Bolt, Christy and Silva were all on staff together at Nebraska so Bolt is familiar with what  Silva brings to the table.  As far as letting Silva go, part of the decision could have to do with chemistry or perhaps it has to do with recruiting.   Guessing again.   Bolt is reportedly bringing in Harvell a top notch recruiter with Southern ties and he will probably be the recruiting coordinator.   Maybe that was something Silva didn't want to give up?  Just spit balling here.   Maybe he wanted a local guy to recruit locally and a national guy?   

The Huskers.com interview seems to indicate it's all about chemistry and recruiting. 

Also I saw somewhere that  people thought 300K was low.  I am not sure if it was on this board.   I do not think that it is low.   I saw an article dated 2017 that baseball head coaches in the B1G made an average of $245K (or something close to that)   The author said he couldn't find 2 Head coach salaries (Erstad and one other) but this is a decent guideline.  So $300K for a first time Head Coach in the Big ten two years later sounds about right to me.   

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1