ElevenWarriors: Film Study - Don't Let the 4-8 Record Fool You, Scott Frost Is Building A Prolific Offense In Lincoln

FILM STUDY: DON'T LET THE 4-8 RECORD FOOL YOU, SCOTT FROST IS BUILDING A PROLIFIC OFFENSE IN LINCOLN

Few Buckeye fans walked away from last November's 36-31 victory over the Cornhuskers feeling great about their team's performance that afternoon. Coming on the heels of a disastrous loss to Purdue the game prior, many in Columbus expected to see an improvement from the beleaguered defense as they faced off against a 2-6 opponent who had been smacked around 56-10 by Michigan a month prior.

The Huskers tallied 450 yards of offense in Ohio Stadium that day, continuing a trend that proved the trip to Ann Arbor was the exception, rather than the rule in Scott Frost's first campaign back in Lincoln. Though the former Husker QB himself watched his team struggle to gain 132 yards of offense in the Big House last September, his offense quietly grew into one of the nation's best by year's end, amassing 500 yards or more on five occasions last fall.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/film-study/2019/06/104809/film-study-dont-let-the-4-8-record-fool-you-scott-frost-is-building-a-prolific-offense-in-lincoln

Love these kind of previews.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

but the Husker tackles pull more often than the guards. 

The overall point they’re making, that it is difficult to key off the guards pulling, is spot on, but anybody in this offense can be a puller. It just depends on who is more athletic up front and what you’re trying to accomplish. 

Also note the use of the two back set (and some of these one back sets could be two back sets with an actual R). This is why the potential combination of Washington/Robinson is so explosive. A similar look could be an option, an RPO, a screen, a QB wrap...just all sorts of things. And, as noted above, the defense has a very difficult time keying it. 

It's really is just a nasty scheme to defend against,  but it can be disrupted if it runs into a d-line that the o-line cant handle.  When that happens it screws up the pace and the pressure that the scheme is intended to put on the opposing team.  Of course get a good solid o-line that can at least hold its own against a strong d-line and things start to fall into place. 

11 hours ago, mnhusker said:

It's really is just a nasty scheme to defend against,  but it can be disrupted if it runs into a d-line that the o-line cant handle.  When that happens it screws up the pace and the pressure that the scheme is intended to put on the opposing team.  Of course get a good solid o-line that can at least hold its own against a strong d-line and things start to fall into place. 

The other aspect is the blocking schemes make it easier for the o line by creating more wins for them based on position alone within the play. It can give an average o line the ability to hold up against the tougher d line units at least for a good portion of your plays.

• Plus1 2

16 hours ago, mnhusker said:

I think that point could be made regarding every offensive system. If the D line wins the battles your screwed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 4:12 PM, Redux said:

Actually looking forward to playing them this season, haven't had that mindset for quite some time.

Buckeye here.  The past two years Ohio State has only lost one game, both of them to B1G West opponents in blowouts on the road and at night.  Needless to say, it wouldn't surprise me if the Buckeyes lay another egg, this time in Lincoln.  My hope is, of course, that the new defensive brain trust will improve our D dramatically.  Last year's defense was the worst I've seen in Columbus since John Cooper's first year in 1988.  

Our offense will live or die based on how well our new QB (Justin Fields) plays.  I wasn't impressed with what I saw of spring ball, but perhaps I shouldn't put too much stock into that.  

• Plus1 3

Every team has weaknesses. Especially every defense has a weakness. I’m hoping Frost can exploit every teams weakness, fully. 

His offense is geared to that. 

Conversely, I hope we limit our weakness. I never want Frost’s teams to be all offense (Oregon, TT, WSU, OU, etc). I hope we can score 35+ and still have a team with a defense...