Phoenix Shop Lifting

26 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I'm fending off the belief that "well, if they would have just followed the law...."  Whether that is your intent or not, makes no difference to me.

But he never said that. I think it's pretty clear that BRB believes that no one innocent or guilty of a petty crime like this deserves to be treated the way these people were.

I think it's also clear that he doesn't tolerate thievery.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

I would say that I ran a stoplight on the way home from work today. I knew I shouldn't have, and might have gotten stopped if any cops were around to see it. My driving is a more serious issue than a $4 theft, would you have any sympathy for me if a cop saw this and then drew their guns on me?

Cops can't be pulling guns on people without reservation.

• Fire 2
2 hours ago, mrandyk said:

Cops can't be pulling guns on people without reservation. 

They can if they're black. Too much of the time they shoot, too.

I'm shocked there hasn't been more discussion of race ITT. This incident is a perfect example of racial disparity in the American justice system.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

They can if they're black. Too much of the time they shoot, too.

I'm shocked there hasn't been more discussion of race ITT. This incident is a perfect example of racial disparity in the American justice system.

Yet BRB asks why we bring race into it. Because this would never ever happen to a white family. 

19 hours ago, Waldo said:

Lol you lost me there. I guess some people might eat underwear. You didn’t want to assume, but you immediately assumed. 

People may not eat underwear but if you only have 1 pair that you have been wearing for months because all of your money goes to feed your family you might want some new ones. Its not right to steal but underwear and socks are #2 behind food on the list of things to give the homeless.

On 6/18/2019 at 12:12 PM, BigRedBuster said:

OK...I'm sure we have all seen this on the news.  

OK...here's my problem with this.  THEY DID SHOP LIFT!!!!

https://nypost.com/2019/06/18/video-shows-alleged-shoplifting-that-sparked-phoenix-police-confrontation/

Were the cops over zealous with pulling their guns?  Sure.....But, I have a real problem with people making these parents out to be these innocent little victims in all fo this.  They should still be arrested and charged with shop lifting.

C'mon, man. A 4 year old took a Barbie doll and the guy took a package of underwear. Where in the name of the 8th Amendment is it anywhere close to appropriate for the police to behave the way that they did in response to a 4 year old taking a Barbie? 

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

C'mon, man. A 4 year old took a Barbie doll and the guy took a package of underwear. Where in the name of the 8th Amendment is it anywhere close to appropriate for the police to behave the way that they did in response to a 4 year old taking a Barbie? 

That's not what he's saying.

• Thanks 1

But, I have a real problem with people making these parents out to be these innocent little victims

I think people are projecting a lot of things onto BRB in this topic. He's not saying that because they're guilty of a crime that the police had the right to behave that way. He's saying he doesn't like the family's portrayal.

Maybe that's missing the forest for the trees but it's possible to think both are wrong.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, jsneb83 said:

That's not what he's saying.

No, it's a definite whataboutism. If the first thing you say about this isn't "Holy ****, those cops are ***holes and should be fired", then you're missing the point; the story has rightfully evolved away from what should be a simple shoplifting charge for the father and an apology from the child into something far more disgusting directly due to the actions these "officers" (I use that term loosely) took. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Is anyone in here actually doing that, though? No one's defending shoplifting. We all just admit it's a minor offense that was met with an inappropriate response.

Did I say people in here were doing that? The OP stated that people elsewhere were portraying them as innocent victims. Were they victims? Definitely! Were they innocent? Well, the evidence we have right now points to no. I was just explaining what the OP was saying in another way (while using a word we've had fun with the past couple months), assuming everything he said is correct.