Bolt's Assistants (Thread)

Thought a separate thread might be useful in keeping track of the news (and rumors) of the staff that Will Bolt is putting together. I'll start us out with:

Lance Harvell
https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/a-good-indication-that-harvell-is-joining-bolt-s-husker/article_91c43931-fc64-559f-8850-480cf7c8a4af.html

Confirmation Tuesday: https://www.klkntv.com/story/40675932/sam-houston-state-assistant-announces-hes-joining-will-bolts-staff-at-nebraska

More on their history together (and Harvell's history in particular): https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-baseball-Lance-Harvell-hitting-coach-recruiting-coordinator-Will-Bolt-132968838/

• Plus1 5

On 6/22/2019 at 10:06 PM, Stumpy1 said:

Healthy raise for both coaches...

True, but it again goes to the notion that Moos went cheap on this hire and on the assistant pool (which may be the real reason why we didn't land Childress?), which can be construed as showing disregard for the program. 

7 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

True, but it again goes to the notion that Moos went cheap on this hire and on the assistant pool (which may be the real reason why we didn't land Childress?), which can be construed as showing disregard for the program. 

I think Moos found the guy he likes in Bolt, who is an up and coming coach in the sport. No need to overpay now; instead, let them earn their stripes and reward them accordingly in the future. 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, bugeater17 said:

I think Moos found the guy he likes in Bolt, who is an up and coming coach in the sport. No need to overpay now; instead, let them earn their stripes and reward them accordingly in the future. 

I hope that's what it was, instead of Moos going in with a very small pot and trying to woo Childress with it. 

1 minute ago, VectorVictor said:

I hope that's what it was, instead of Moos going in with a very small pot and trying to woo Childress with it. 

Haha - me 2!

I really think Moos sent out feelers to see if Childress would be at all interested and probably heard back he wouldn't unless it was $1mill+ (that's entirely speculation on my part). Then there is also the perspective of Childress being ran out of town in Aggieland. With that, would you rather overpay for Childress or go out and get an up and comer who probably has a little fire in his belly to prove himself?

• 1 month later...

Bolt added to his stable of assistants by bringing on Danny Marcuzzo as a volunteer assistant and recruiting/camp coordinator the other day. 

Marcuzzo spent last season as the assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at Coffeyville Community College, working primarily with hitters and infielders. Coffeyville posted 29 wins in 2019, more than each of the previous four seasons. Coffeyville's defense set the school record for fielding percentage in 2019 under Marcuzzo's direction with a .969 clip.

Marcuzzo coached at Central Oklahoma for two years before going to Coffeyville, helping the squad set a then-school record for fielding percentage with a .975 clip in 2018. The Bronchos captured the 2018 Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association regular-season title and qualified for the NCAA Division II Regionals. In 2017, Central Oklahoma reached the finals of the NCAA Division II Central Regional after winning 37 games.

During the 2015 and 2016 seasons, Marcuzzo coached hitters and infielders at Butler Community College. In 2016, Butler set the school record for fielding percentage at .968.

A native of Omaha, Neb., Marcuzzo graduated with a bachelor's degree from Western Illinois in 2012 before earning a Master's degree from Central Oklahoma in 2017.

A decent addition, though if a third paid assistant is approved, I was hoping we'd get someone that's more pitching oriented (since I'm not really keen on Christy as handling pitching coach duties). And the guy is from Omaha, so hopefully he isn't a Jaysker. ;)

• Plus1 1