Holy $#@& Phil Steele

2 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Nice, where did that come from? 

So I am the only Nebraska fan that thinks we have to learn to crawl first.  Doubling our win total this year will be a complete disappointment to everyone but me.  OK  

I don't think that's what he's saying. Not being "very happy" is not the same as "completely disappointed."

I would be somewhat disappointed with 8 wins. Fairly content with 9 wins. Happy with 10. Very happy with 11+. We have one of the best QBs in the nation and there should be improvement in year 2 of a new coaching staff.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually, if you want to compare the competition Nebraska is playing against in either conference, you need to take Nebraska out of the statistics.  

So, since 1990, The Big 12 has had 3 NCs won by 3 teams.

Since 1990, the Big 10 has had 3 NCs won by 2 teams.

Not that big of a difference if you are trying to use this as an indication of one conference being more dominant than the other.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Apsu said:

Hello all...
Two years ago we were a very fitting 4-8.
Last year we were probably the best 4-8 team in the history of the game.
Given this year's schedule, 10-2 is not that much of a stretch.

Hi, new person, welcome to HuskerBoard!

oro2B3J.gif

• Plus1 3

As a fan of a long time Big10 team, I can honestly say that most people were happy with Nebraska joining our conference. I don't remember thinking the Big10 was validated because Nebraska has struggled. I think most people understood that what happened at Nebraska could happen at their school if they made the wrong moves when hiring a new AD and HCs. I do remember hearing many Nebraska fans, online and in person, that thought the Big10 would be a cake walk. Maybe it will be for Nebraska in the future but that isn't how it has played out so far.

As for OSU being down, we will see, but I think some of you have a short memories. There hasn't been anything in their recent history that I would base that prediction off of. Yes, they just lost one of the best coaches in college football, but that doesn't mean they will all of a sudden be a consistent 9 win or less team. OSU's AD has made some great hires and I assume at this point that Day will is ready to take on the challenge. Maybe they won't be as good as they were during the Meyer years,  I can understand that, but they won't be a shell of their former self.  

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't think that's what he's saying. Not being "very happy" is not the same as "completely disappointed."

I would be somewhat disappointed with 8 wins. Fairly content with 9 wins. Happy with 10. Very happy with 11+. We have one of the best QBs in the nation and there should be improvement in year 2 of a new coaching staff.

Yep!

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

If you look at the old big 8/12 structure vs Big 10. Focus on the big 3 of each conference to start.

Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas wins hand down in my opinion over Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State

Colorado and Kansas State were badass in the 90's into early 2000's. You could say they both had national championship caliber teams in that span if Nebraska wasnt in their way. Can you say that about anyone else in the big 10 outside of the big 3?

I think the rest of the big 10 and big 12 teams could be strong and steady opponents but none threatening to win a natty. Wisconsin, Michigan state, texas A&M those types could be tough but were not a real talent threat to win it all.

Yeah... Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Iowa once every five years.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Actually, if you want to compare the competition Nebraska is playing against in either conference, you need to take Nebraska out of the statistics.  

So, since 1990, The Big 12 has had 3 NCs won by 3 teams.

Since 1990, the Big 10 has had 3 NCs won by 2 teams.

Not that big of a difference if you are trying to use this as an indication of one conference being more dominant than the other.

Nebraska was the premier program of the conference at that time. Why would you take Nebraska out? They have done nothing in the big 10 of any importance so I see no conflict. Its actually important to keep them in. Because mid 90s Colorado might have competed and won a national championship if Nebraska didnt knock them out. Kordell Stewart. K State in 97 

4 minutes ago, jaws said:

As a fan of a long time Big10 team, I can honestly say that most people were happy with Nebraska joining our conference. I don't remember thinking the Big10 was validated because Nebraska has struggled. I think most people understood that what happened at Nebraska could happen at their school if they made the wrong moves when hiring a new AD and HCs. I do remember hearing many Nebraska fans, online and in person, that thought the Big10 would be a cake walk. Maybe it will be for Nebraska in the future but that isn't how it has played out so far.

As for OSU being down, we will see, but I think some of you have a short memories. There hasn't been anything in their recent history that I would base that prediction off of. Yes, they just lost one of the best coaches in college football, but that doesn't mean they will all of a sudden be a consistent 9 win or less team. OSU's AD has made some great hires and I assume at this point that Day will is ready to take on the challenge. Maybe they won't be as good as they were during the Meyer years,  I can understand that, but they won't be a shell of their former self.  

Understood. But there was nothing in our recent memory back in 1998 that told us we were not going to continue on the same run we had been on since 1960 either. After 40 plus years of being great we have sucked for the last 15.

4 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Yeah... Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Iowa once every five years.

Being a National Championship caliber team? No. Conference Championship caliber. Yes.

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Nebraska was the premier program of the conference at that time. Why would you take Nebraska out?

Because I thought the discussion was about how tough our competition has been in both conferences.  Well, last time I looked Nebraska isn't on our schedule and wasn't on our schedule back then.

So, if you really want to have a discussion and use NCs as your evidence (which I think is an invalid way of looking at it) you need to look at the teams we are playing....which....doesn't include Nebraska. 

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Understood. But there was nothing in our recent memory back in 1998 that told us we were not going to continue on the same run we had been on since 1960 either. After 40 plus years of being great we have sucked for the last 15.

LOL, context matters and the situations are different.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Because I thought the discussion was about how tough our competition has been in both conferences.  Well, last time I looked Nebraska isn't on our schedule and wasn't on our schedule back then.

So, if you really want to have a discussion and use NCs as your evidence (which I think is an invalid way of looking at it) you need to look at the teams we are playing....which....doesn't include Nebraska. 

Yes but like I said Nebraska knocked out numerous contenders during that time span that might change that number. Since joining the big 10. We have not stopped anyone from going to the big dance.

8 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

How are the situations different. Top 5 program in the country talent wise. HOF head coach retires. One of the assistant coaches takes over as the new head coach. All sounds pretty familiar to me. 

Yep, exactly the same. We will just overlook all the differences. 

7 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

How are the situations different. Top 5 program in the country talent wise. HOF head coach retires. One of the assistant coaches takes over as the new head coach. All sounds pretty familiar to me. 

Day is less experienced than Solich, but much more highly regarded as an offensive mind. Ohio State also won't have the difficulty in recruiting Solich did - kids went to Nebraska because of Osborne so once he left it was a tougher sell, top 5 program or not. Sure some kids went to OSU because of Meyer, but plenty of kids will go to OSU just because it's OSU.

There are similarities, but we don't really know much about Day yet so I don't think you can say for sure it's the same. Could be like the Devaney > Osborne transition, could be Osborne > Solich. Could be a Tressel > Fickell transition, but I doubt that one. If it goes south, it'll still take a few years.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Day is less experienced than Solich, but much more highly regarded as an offensive mind. Ohio State also won't have the difficulty in recruiting Solich did - kids went to Nebraska because of Osborne so once he left it was a tougher sell, top 5 program or not. Sure some kids went to OSU because of Meyer, but plenty of kids will go to OSU just because it's OSU.

There are similarities, but we don't really know much about Day yet so I don't think you can say for sure it's the same. Could be like the Devaney > Osborne transition, could be Osborne > Solich. Could be a Tressel > Fickell transition, but I doubt that one. If it goes south, it'll still take a few years.

Day is doomed.  He is looking at 4 losses in 7 years in conference as the freaking bar.

• Fire 1