Holy $#@& Phil Steele

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Day is doomed.  He is looking at 4 losses in 7 years in conference as the freaking bar.

That won't doom him. What Tressel and Meyer did to Michigan might doom him. He needs to almost be perfect against Michigan. If he wins that game consistently and plays in a few playoffs along the way, then he will be fine. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I am wondering what the feeling will be about the conference if we should happen to win it?   Will it continue to be (in some Nebraska fans mind) a below average conference with a lot of bottom feeders, or will it magically change to a tough road to get there.  We don't have to play in the SEC west, but I doubt there is an overall tougher conference to play in.

Tearing your competition down just makes your wins less important.  You can not have it both ways.

We came from the easiest conference to win in for many years, normally referred to as the Big 2 and little 6.  We moved/became the Big 12 and things got tougher.  

Lack of respect for our competition is what got Nebraska into this giant tail spin.  You would think we could learn from our mistakes.

Football now pulls the train for college sports, not just at Nebraska, Alabama, LSU, Clemson and a few others as it used to be.  With 50 plus million going to the universities of the Big 10 they all want to get better and are spending the money to do so.  Winning the Big 10 is going to get tougher in the future.  It has always been tougher than the conferences we played in.

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Clemson and Georgia? I think Clemson and Alabama. Anywho, Steele has us winning the West the losing to Michigan who makes the playoff leaving us for a Rose Bowl appearance with PAC 12 champs Utah.

Mav posted Steeles prediction a day or 2 ago in the Husker preview megathread but I think most missed it

I was going off of the picture in the OP.  After zooming in on my phone, it looks like Alabama is the #2 seed.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, jaws said:

That won't doom him. What Tressel and Meyer did to Michigan might doom him. He needs to almost be perfect against Michigan. If he wins that game consistently and plays in a few playoffs along the way, then he will be fine. 

Right...which basically means he can't lose over 1 conference game a year.

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Yes but like I said Nebraska knocked out numerous contenders during that time span that might change that number. Since joining the big 10. We have not stopped anyone from going to the big dance.

You're coming to a conclusion that is not able to be proven.  No way in hell can you say KSU would have won an NC if Nebraska wasn't there.  How many NCs would Michigan have if OSU wasn't there?

PSU had only one loss in 2005 to Michigan.  Are you saying KSU would have won an NC in the 90s, but PSU wouldn't have in 2005?

PSU has numerous 2 loss seasons since 1990.  Maybe they would have won NCs if those two teams weren't in their way those years.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm specifically asking about people claiming the reason Nebraska hasn't won anything recently is because the Big 10 is so good....instead of us being not nearly as good as we used to be.  

I honestly don't know of one Husker fan that thinks we are just as good as we used to be......but the conference is just so gang tough.  

The argument is sort of the reverse - it's that Husker fans now think the B1G is better because of the Huskers losing but teach and others are saying that's not true because the Huskers aren't as good.

3 minutes ago, Landlord said:

If Day stays top 10 and has a .500 or better record against Michigan he's got job security forever.

If Day goes .500 or even .700 against Michigan, he'll get canned.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

The argument is sort of the reverse - it's that Husker fans now think the B1G is better because of the Huskers losing but teach and others are saying that's not true because the Huskers aren't as good.

Isn't that saying that people are arguing that the Huskers are actually still good, but we are losing because the conference is so tough?

I don't see anyone making that argument.

5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

If Day goes .500 or even .700 against Michigan, he'll get canned.

.700 will probably do (if he's winning the Big Ten consistently), but yeah .500 won't cut it. But even if he falls short of the expectations, say loses 3 of 4 against Michigan - OSU is still going to be a tough team for at least the near future. And I don't see the above happening, right now Michigan has some kind of complex and couldn't beat OSU if it was Mike Riley instead of Day on the sideline. I'm sure that'll change, but I'll have to see it before I believe it.

IMO it's a totally different perspective when you're the 'top dog' in a conference vs. a team in the middle of the pack or worse.

It's easy for a Husker fan to look at the B1G as really tough, or even tougher than the Big 8, because there are so many teams better than or equivalent to the Huskers. But, I don't think that's wholly fair or true. Do tOSU fans look at the conference the same way we do right now? Do Michigan or PSU fans? Probably not, but that's because they're up at the top.

• Plus1 1