Holy $#@& Phil Steele

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

How so?

One looks at how the Huskers did in the B1G, then draws the conclusion that the Huskers were good/decent/whatever and the conference was tough. The other looks at the same evidence, then draws the conclusion that the Huskers sucked and the B1G was not tough.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

I still think we all need to look back to what we used to think of the Big Ten...not much has changed.

The teams we thought sucked suck...We have just been waiting for the Huskers to get good again.

Still though, Steele's prediction is basically summed up in saying we'll beat Ohio State twice in year two of a new staff when the program went 4-8 two years in a row.

That's a pretty big stretch in my own opinion. 

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Still though, Steele's prediction is basically summed up in saying we'll beat Ohio State twice in year two of a new staff when the program went 4-8 two years in a row.

That's a pretty big stretch in my own opinion. 

He said we go 10-2. Who are the 2 losses he predicts? I bet one of those is ohio state.

7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

One looks at how the Huskers did in the B1G, then draws the conclusion that the Huskers were good/decent/whatever and the conference was tough. The other looks at the same evidence, then draws the conclusion that the Huskers sucked and the B1G was not tough.

OK.....I see....sort of.

In reality, one doesn't necessarily indicate the other....in either direction.

The Huskers have definitely been not as good as usual the last 10-15 years.  My opinion is still that the Big Ten is still a good conference that's tough for almost anyone to go undefeated in.

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK.....I see....sort of.

The Huskers have definitely been not as good as usual the last 10-15 years.  My opinion is still that the Big Ten is still a good conference that's tough for almost anyone to go undefeated in.

In all fairness every conference is tough to go undefeated in. Maybe 1-2 teams in the entire country go undefeated and it doesnt even happen every year. I think that is more a P5 thing than it is an exclusive thing about the big 10.

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

In all fairness every conference is tough to go undefeated in. Maybe 1-2 teams in the entire country go undefeated and it doesnt even happen every year. I think that is more a P5 thing than it is an exclusive thing about the big 10.

Just a clarification.  I haven't been saying this is exclusive to the Big 10.  The original point being made is that the Big 10 sucks.  I never thought it sucked and I don't think it sucks now.

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK.....I see....sort of.

I agree. I'm just trying to point out the difference in what teach and others are saying and what you're saying as it isn't quite the same argument.

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

IMO the Huskers have been above average to bad since joining the conference. I'm not sure what I think of the B1G. tOSU is the only very good team and even they've had a down year. The bottom-dweller teams have gotten better over the last decade because of the huge money being distributed though.

Setting NC's aside I believe the polls indicate the B1G has gotten better since 2011.  There are more B1G teams in the last 3-4 seasons that finished in the top 10 and top 25 then the first few years after joining B1G.  Winning the B1G has gotten tougher and would be quite an accomplishment for us in the next 2 years given how bad we've been.  It will have to be next year since I believe we'll be fortunate to get 8 wins this year.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Setting NC's aside I believe the polls indicate the B1G has gotten better since 2011.  There are more B1G teams in the last 3-4 seasons that finished in the top 10 and top 25 then the first few years after joining B1G.  Winning the B1G has gotten tougher and would be quite an accomplishment for us in the next 2 years given how bad we've been.  It will have to be next year since I believe we'll be fortunate to get 8 wins this year.

I'm interested in knowing who you think are the 4+ teams that are going to beat us?

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm interested in knowing who you think are the 4+ teams that are going to beat us?

He did say "fortunate to get 8 wins," which I assume means he's not completely certain.

But the four teams that have a very good shot at beating us this season (in order) are:

1. Ohio State

2. Wisconsin

3. Iowa

4. Purdue

Saying otherwise is just blind Kool-Aid drinking IMO. 

reasonable hope at this point (with Maurce Washington's uncertain status, many question marks on the defensive roster, and really not having a viable backup QB) is only losing one of those four, going 9-3, but somehow winning the West. But conversely, if Martinez sustains no injuries and Washington plays at least in all conference games, I could actually see 10-2 happening.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Undone said:

He did say "fortunate to get 8 wins," which I assume means he's not completely certain.

But the four teams that have a very good shot at beating us this season (in order) are:

1. Ohio State

2. Wisconsin

3. Iowa

4. Purdue

Saying otherwise is just blind Kool-Aid drinking IMO. 

reasonable hope at this point (with Maurce Washington's uncertain status, many question marks on the defensive roster, and really not having a viable backup QB) is only losing one of those four, going 9-3, but somehow winning the West. But conversely, if Martinez sustains no injuries and Washington plays at least in all conference games, I could actually see 10-2 happening.

losing to those 4 gives us 8 wins.  He said that we "would be fortunate to get 8 wins".  I interpret that as meaning he thinks there are more than 4 teams that are going to beat us.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I could mention the usual suspects- OSU, Iowa, NW, Wiscy while winning one of them while losing one of CO, MN or Purdue but it's more of a gut feel.  I've predicted low win totals the last couple of years but still underestimated how big of a cliff the program was driven off of.  The rebuild is significant and the latest news makes me think more culture change is required.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Or one could say that Nebraska has not been very good, but the conference is fairly tough in the middle.   There are not 5 teams only winning 2-4 games like KU,KSU, ISU, MU, CU  did in the mid 80's in the big 8 right now. 

2 hours ago, jaws said:

As a fan of a long time Big10 team, I can honestly say that most people were happy with Nebraska joining our conference. I don't remember thinking the Big10 was validated because Nebraska has struggled. I think most people understood that what happened at Nebraska could happen at their school if they made the wrong moves when hiring a new AD and HCs. I do remember hearing many Nebraska fans, online and in person, that thought the Big10 would be a cake walk. Maybe it will be for Nebraska in the future but that isn't how it has played out so far.

As for OSU being down, we will see, but I think some of you have a short memories. There hasn't been anything in their recent history that I would base that prediction off of. Yes, they just lost one of the best coaches in college football, but that doesn't mean they will all of a sudden be a consistent 9 win or less team. OSU's AD has made some great hires and I assume at this point that Day will is ready to take on the challenge. Maybe they won't be as good as they were during the Meyer years,  I can understand that, but they won't be a shell of their former self.  

The big 10 was kind of down when we joined though, and we had just come off two seasons of nearly winning the big 12.  All the publications were picking us to win the conference, and we had no reason to think we would be worse in 2011 than 2010.  Ultimately that staff just couldn’t stop basic power running- it was the main reason we didn’t get a conference title in the Pelini years.  Not that it was the only problem but looking back if we could have just done that one basic thing we don’t have the Wisconsin results and have a title or two.  I agree about OSU though- the only real down year I can remember is when the tresses thing happened.  It’s the type of place that would have to get serious sanctions and hire someone colossally inept to really bad.  But I would be surprised if things don’t drop off a bit without Meyer, maybe just meaning not beating Michigan every year