Holy $#@& Phil Steele

It’s an interesting conversation but imo how a person views it is relative to how good their team has been in specific years. 80’s and 90’s Nebraska fans could pretty easily say the Big Ten sucked and they could also say our conference at the time was the big 2 and little 6. When you’re consistently in the top ten and regularly playing for natties of course everyone else seems inferior. And in the 2000’s and since we’ve joined the B1G of course it seems the B1G is tougher than we ever previously gave them credit for. The only real difference is we were extremely good in one of those scenarios and have been average or worse in the other.

Trying to be completely objective though, I would have to say the B1G is better top to bottom than the Big 8 or Big XII ever was. There are many similarities with the top couple teams in the conferences and eras but the mid and lower level teams of the B1G are definitely more solid than those of our prior conferences and if you sleep on them they can get you virtually any weekend.

As far as Phil Steele’s 10-2 prediction, I think that is a very reasonable and likely outcome for the Huskers given our schedule and apparent program trajectory. I understand why many Husker resist buying into that or think it’s unlikely given our track record of the last 15-20 years but I also find it highly annoying when the “realists” insist it’s just crazy and are adamant it won’t happen. I’ll always favor the Kool-Aid bunch over the naysayers and supposed realists. It seems the common stock market admonition of prior results do not guarantee future performance is completely lost on some people.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
13 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

Nebraska is also his #1 most improved team and he said his main set of power ratings have the Huskers going 10-2.

I'm honestly worried now that Nebraska could have a pretty good 9-3 season, and then many fans would think it's a letdown season. 

It would be if we aren't in the big 10 title game

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

As far as Phil Steele’s 10-2 prediction, I think that is a very reasonable and likely outcome for the Huskers given our schedule and apparent program trajectory. I understand why many Husker resist buying into that or think it’s unlikely given our track record of the last 15-20 years but I also find it highly annoying when the “realists” insist it’s just crazy and are adamant it won’t happen. I’ll always favor the Kool-Aid bunch over the naysayers and supposed realists. It seems the common stock market admonition of prior results do not guarantee future performance is completely lost on some people.

Word.

• Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

anyone have a list of 4-8 programs that finished 10-2 the following year........or better........?

just wondering how common the phenomena might be?

Not common, but TCU went from 4-8 in 2013 to 12-1 in 2014. I haven't found a list specific to 4 win teams, but seems like a team goes from 0-4 wins to 9+ about every year- most aren't in major conferences though. TCU was in the Big 12 at that point though, so they're the recent P5 example - 12-13 Auburn (3-9 to 12-2) and 04-05 Penn State (4-7 to 11-1) are other encouraging examples.

3 hours ago, Hunter94 said:

anyone have a list of 4-8 programs that finished 10-2 the following year........or better........?

just wondering how common the phenomena might be?

2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Not common, but TCU went from 4-8 in 2013 to 12-1 in 2014. I haven't found a list specific to 4 win teams, but seems like a team goes from 0-4 wins to 9+ about every year- most aren't in major conferences though. TCU was in the Big 12 at that point though, so they're the recent P5 example - 12-13 Auburn (3-9 to 12-2) and 04-05 Penn State (4-7 to 11-1) are other encouraging examples.

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Dunno. But we went 4-8 then 9-3 in 2016. 

And of course there is THIS example that may or may not apply here.

0-12 in 2015

6-7 in 2016

13-0 in 2017

:dunno

• Plus1 1

If anyone asks me what kind of world I want to leave for my children, it is not one where the Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin or Penn State dominates the conference. It is one where Iowa is our yearly b%@&h, and the previously mentioned second rate teams quake in terror of the Huskers.

Anika-Ronan(2019-03-10)2.jpg

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1