Holy $#@& Phil Steele

23 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

64572423_782595682134926_887131937869240

So much for reasonable expectations in year two.

Edit: I tried uploading a picture, but it didn't work. Anyways, Phil Steele has Nebraska playing Utah ... in the Rose Bowl. 

Edit 2: Figured it out. Picture is in.

Dude, I totally believe it.  Almost took tOSu for a ride last year, it is ON!

4 hours ago, nic said:

When Nebraska joined the Big 10, I felt like Nebraska fans thought they would roll over a weak conference. I don’t know if that was accurate, but that was my impression at the time. I think some Big Ten fans were quietly concerned that Nebraska would dominate and make the conference look bad. When that didn’t happen they copped the attitude you are referring too.

Nebraska fans certainly thought so, but so did the rest of the nation. We bought in because nationally we were being referred to as the new bullies of the Big Ten.

We have been a dumpster fire for years.  I appreciate the accolades, but even Frost tempers expectations.........We still have a lot of unknown for this season.  Until we show we can run with/stand up to/handle Iowa and Wisky I will be somewhat guarded.  Yes we finished 4-2 down the stretch.  Yes we we played most games extremely close.  Yes, IMHO, some of the first losses were more staff related.  However, we have a rather large body of work (since 2003) that shows we have a hard time getting out of our own way.  I do think we are the on the right track.  Staff, culture, S&C, recruiting etc.....but winning is a mindset.  Unfortunately so is losing.  

With all the negativity above, the past "X" years, I have not believed Vegas, the talking heads or analysts as it related to the state of Husker football.  Looking back (multiple losing seasons) they new what they were talking about and I was a head in the sand fan.....Maybe I need to listen this off season.....

Looking forward to the season kicking off!

After the 1997 season Nebraska rolled off the greatest five year streak in the history of college football. Passing the torch to Frank Solich was not a popular move, but for the next four years the team continued to do well. The cupboard was full of talent. However in 2002 my observation was that the team talent was severely lacking from previous decades. We went 7-7 in 2002, and I was in shock because that record was deserved based on our talent. And despite a 9-3 regular season finish in 2003, that observation was still valid, and Solich was fired.

Then Bill Callahan was hired, to the joy of just about nobody. He was a great recruiter, but could not coach worth a darn. Pelini was rehired, mostly based on the Alamo Bowl win, and he proved to be a poor recruiter and a poor coach. He defensive schemes were not at all appropriate for the personel we had. The regular blowouts started. And in the ultimate brain freeze moment, Mike Riley was hired.

Sure I had 8-4 / 9-3 expectations for last year, and to be honest four of five lucky breaks would have gotten us there. I see 10-2 as very realistic in 2019, with the most likely defeats vs tOSU and Wisconsin. And fortunately both are home games... so who knows... last year's bad breaks to balance themselves out and bless us!

• Fire 1
13 hours ago, skersfan said:

Nic the idea was quite prevalent on this site.  Our speed would dominate, we would show Wisconsin who the real Big Red was.  Just fans being fans.

Agreed. I was fine with it and was excited to see Nebraska play in the Big Ten. I looked at Nebraska as an upgrade to the conference. I also learned very quickly that Nebraska fans were classy. Not all fans are. Heck I go on Michigan boards as well, and think the fans on there can be pompous A-holes. Heaven forbid you post with a grammatical error.  This board has been very respectful. I'm still a Michigan homer however. :D

• Plus1 1
22 hours ago, teachercd said:

This is a really good question and I think that a lot of writers/"experts" still think these things...

1.  Nebraska is and has been a good program and should be good again

2.  NW has a "great" coach but seem to live on lucky street

3.  Minny will never be better than 8-9 wins

4.  Illinois SHOULD be good but they suck

5.  Purdue has a really good coach...But...

6.  Wisconsin...Really good but I think people keep waiting for either the break through 13-0 season...or that 4 win season.

7.  Iowa....boring as f#&%

Exactly, then add in the whole urban meyer OSU fiasco, a young PSU, a Michigan with spotlight issues, and suddenly it looks pretty wide open. But i don't know if i fully share that enthusiasm.

On 6/21/2019 at 11:18 AM, Huskers93-97 said:

Fair enough. I just personally hate that we have been on our lowest point since like the 50's. Then some Big 10 folks feel validated that we have come in and struggled when in reality we were already struggling.

When we joined the Big Ten, we were coming off back-to-back 10 win seasons. I'd hardly call that struggling. But it's OK, @Huskers93-97, you're far from the only one with a selective memory of the Pelini era. :thumbs

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2019 at 3:18 PM, Hunter94 said:

anyone have a list of 4-8 programs that finished 10-2 the following year........or better........?

just wondering how common the phenomena might be?

It's common for a good coach to go 4-8, 5-7 or 6 6 in their first year only to go like 10-2 in their second year.  Pete Carroll and Nick Saban have done it, there are a few others but I'll have to look them up

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

It's common for a good coach to go 4-8, 5-7 or 6 6 in their first year only to go like 10-2 in their second year.  Pete Carroll and Nick Saban have done it, there are a few others but I'll have to look them up

To be fair, the majority of us THINK we have a good coach, but we won’t really know for a year or two.  If we’re 10-2, I’d say he’s a great coach.  I’d still say he’s a good coach with a lessor record, but still bowl eligible, until the entire roster is his, and has at least a year under their belts.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

To be fair, the majority of us THINK we have a good coach, but we won’t really know for a year or two.  If we’re 10-2, I’d say he’s a great coach.  I’d still say he’s a good coach with a lessor record, but still bowl eligible, until the entire roster is his, and has at least a year under their belts.

How much of the 2 deep are "his" guys? Its probably fair to say most of the top end talent are frost guys? 

5 minutes ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

I disagree - we know we have a good coach. You don't go undefeated in any conference without at least being good. Exactly how good does remain to be seen and we definitely don't know if he's great yet, but 'good' isn't really a debate.

16 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I disagree - we know we have a good coach. You don't go undefeated in any conference without at least being good. Exactly how good does remain to be seen and we definitely don't know if he's great yet, but 'good' isn't really a debate.

I mean, you don’t need to sell me on the notion of it, just trying to look at it objectively.  He went 4-8 here.  I doubt he does it again, but what if he does?  Still a good coach?  Spoiler alert:  he won’t.

• Plus1 1