Holy $#@& Phil Steele

With regard to concerns if we have injuries, or certain position groups don't come together... other teams have those issues too.
In the case where a team must adapt, that with the better coaching staff will suffer less.

Anything could have happened last year.  Top player lost for the season against Akron.  Who knows?  Nothing we can do or say about last year that makes a bit of difference.  We all believe that Coach Frost is doing everything he can to make the program what it was.  We just have to wait and see how it all works out.  I feel certain things will be better this year, and truthfully that is all I ever ask for.  Coulda shoulda does not matter, unless it is used to fill a post because it is the off season.  

We do have a lot of believers out in college football land.  I am hoping they are all correct.  Oh by the way, the other day Rick Neuheisel, gave us a glowing report for the future and called the Nebraska fans the greatest in the country.  Pretty nice comment from a guy that Nebraskans seem to hate so badly.

• Fire 2
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:34 PM, huskerfan333157 said:

It's common for a good coach to go 4-8, 5-7 or 6 6 in their first year only to go like 10-2 in their second year.  Pete Carroll and Nick Saban have done it, there are a few others but I'll have to look them up

Holtz (5 times), Belichek (5-11), Paterno (5-5, 1966), Jimmy Johnson, Pete Carrol

why are we doing this again?  If you want to make a 1st year splash call up Dennis Erickson.

7 hours ago, Landlord said:

A decent few really good coaches went around .500 in their first season and then had a huge year two.

But I can't think of any coach ever who has done it from 4-8.

And results from the NFL and the 60's don't qualify, sorry.

Does the exact record of the first year matter?

the point is, there have been a number of good coaches have a bad first year and bounce back to have a pretty good year the next. 

I dont see a reason why that cant happen at nebraska this year.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I don't think anyone would be disappointed with a 9-win season, as long as we reach the CCG.

Absolutely. I would even be happy with less, as long there's a demonstrable improvement from last year to show recruits.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Does the exact record of the first year matter?

the point is, there have been a number of good coaches have a bad first year and bounce back to have a pretty good year the next. 

I dont see a reason why that cant happen at nebraska this year.  

Especially since our coach has already done it once. 6-7 one year then 13-0 the next year. So a 7 game turn around. 

19 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Well, no, not exactly. But it might inform expectations a little bit if there's no record of anybody doing it from our particular record :dunno

On 6/21/2019 at 4:05 PM, Husker in WI said:

Not common, but TCU went from 4-8 in 2013 to 12-1 in 2014. I haven't found a list specific to 4 win teams, but seems like a team goes from 0-4 wins to 9+ about every year- most aren't in major conferences though. TCU was in the Big 12 at that point though, so they're the recent P5 example - 12-13 Auburn (3-9 to 12-2) and 04-05 Penn State (4-7 to 11-1) are other encouraging examples.

3 recent teams, 4 wins or worse to 11-12 wins. So it can be done, but not super likely.

• Plus1 1

The average year two jump is 2 games. The ones that greatly exceed that have tended to match Nebraska’s year 1 profile of close losses and few unwinnable games. 

It’s less the case of actually improving by a lot of games, and more the case that a team wasn’t actually as bad as the record showed.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, brophog said:

It’s less the case of actually improving by a lot of games, and more the case that a team wasn’t actually as bad as the record showed.

Which probably comes into play more often with a new coaching staff coming in and changing the culture, the playbook etc etc.

3 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

3 recent teams, 4 wins or worse to 11-12 wins. So it can be done, but not super likely.

I thought the original question was about new head coaches in first vs second years, which would mean none of those examples apply, but they are good examples of a huge jump being possible for anyone