Holy $#@& Phil Steele

I remember all of the excitement leading up to last season, and the way it began.  Keeping my excitement in check this time.  

Less than 7 wins would be a disappointment.  

7 wins, acceptable (and my prediction)

8 wins, good

9 wins, great

10 or more wins?  Ecstatic.  

• Plus1 1

48 minutes ago, r06ue1 said:

I remember all of the excitement leading up to last season, and the way it began.  Keeping my excitement in check this time.  

8 wins, good

9 wins, great

That's very reasonable. When were Kool-Aid and/or alcohol banned in your county?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, r06ue1 said:

I remember all of the excitement leading up to last season, and the way it began. 

I think that is the real key, not wins, but trends. Very understandable in Year 1 for a rocky start, but Year 2 is different. If we are making progress to our eventual long term goals, Year 2 has to show signs of ownership. Even if there are a couple of big injuries, this season should start 4-0. The margin in those 4 games is simply too high for anything less. Changes a lot after that, and then it comes down to executing through what may be a more difficult than expected conference slate.

Whether it’s 7 wins, 10 wins, whatever, Year 2 has to be about limiting mistakes, forcing teams to beat you, and to begin exerting dominance again. If those things aren’t happening, it calls into question the big picture. Year 2 isn’t about getting all the way to a finished product, but we should be set up to take a big jump as a program if we are to eventually get there.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, r06ue1 said:

8 wins, good

9 wins, great

This is basically where I'm at. After back to back 4-8 seasons, I would be happy with an 8-4 regular season.

But hey, I hope Phil is right. I'd be ecstatic with a 10-2 regular season. 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, brophog said:

And Syracuse just did it in the ACC.

I'm not worried about if there is precedent for a great turnaround. I trust the direction Frost has this program going in. On top of that like you've been pointing out, we weren't a 4-8 team last year statistically. If you had a checklist for criteria of a turnaround team, I think we check all of the boxes. 

11 hours ago, Apsu said:

It is much easier to make a tremendous turn around like UCF and TCU did, if you play a softer schedule.

But if you play in a major conference, that gets much more difficult.

11 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

TCU made that jump as Big 12 members.

Apsu said MAJOR conference :D

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

With our schedule, anything less than 9 wins and CCG appearance would be a disappointment.

Nebraska's schedule sets up nicely,  but the other factor that should help is that Wisconsin and Iowa have more difficult ones.  They both have tougher road games and tougher crossovers. 

The school to keep an eye on this year with improvement and a nicer schedule than Iowa and Wisconsin is Minnesota.  I suspect NW's run of luck in close games ends this year. 

7 hours ago, runningblind said:

Nebraska's schedule sets up nicely,  but the other factor that should help is that Wisconsin and Iowa have more difficult ones.  They both have tougher road games and tougher crossovers. 

The school to keep an eye on this year with improvement and a nicer schedule than Iowa and Wisconsin is Minnesota.  I suspect NW's run of luck in close games ends this year. 

9+ and a CCG appearance would be awesome of course and could jump start a program turnaround. 

After watching Minny kick Wiscy’s butt last year I had it stuck in the back of my mind that Minny might be tough this year. I usually wait for the first few games to be played to get a feel for how good teams are but it might be worthwhile to read some previews to see what those pesky gophers are up to.

• Plus1 1