Holy $#@& Phil Steele

14 hours ago, brophog said:

The biggest problem, at least in my opinion, has been Harbaugh’s inability to allow his offensive staff to run the offense as they want. Remember last year they brought in new coaches that were going to open that offense up to go along with the predominantly shotgun oriented, gunslinger in Patterson. What they got was a bastardized offense that didn’t play to anyone’s strengths. 

So word this year is they’re starting new and embracing the RPO and kicking Harbaugh and his offense to the curb. They have enough talent that they shouldn’t be a problem in nearly every game. But, as you say, Harbaugh has his style, and that’s defense and ball control. It’s what he knows, and what he trusts. With so much pressure on him to finally beat Ohio St and finally earn that salary, can he trust his offensive coaches even if he might lose the game?

Sounds a lot like Les Miles when he was at LSU. Loads of talent that is hindered by the coach being willing to evolve and get out of his comfort zone

• Plus1 1

I'm going to be one of the few that will be okay with 7-5. Not what we all want, but it is improvement, post-season practices, and bowl game. To win 8 regular season games or more, our defense is going to have to take a HUGE step after last year, and I'll believe that when I see it. Offensively, will we move the ball as effectively without Stanley and Divine? Status on Maurice Washington? Inevitable injuries to the difference-makers we do have? Not trying to be a downer, but this is just how I see everything playing out. 

As a poster above stated, let's take a real look at things after year seven. If nothing else, there should be a lot of fun, interesting games between now and then.

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, Jeremy said:

I'm going to be one of the few that will be okay with 7-5. Not what we all want, but it is improvement, post-season practices, and bowl game. To win 8 regular season games or more, our defense is going to have to take a HUGE step after last year, and I'll believe that when I see it. Offensively, will we move the ball as effectively without Stanley and Divine? Status on Maurice Washington? Inevitable injuries to the difference-makers we do have? Not trying to be a downer, but this is just how I see everything playing out. 

As a poster above stated, let's take a real look at things after year seven. If nothing else, there should be a lot of fun, interesting games between now and then.

Yes, I've been watching some videos of last years games and the D had stretches of being terrible. Our line couldn't stop the run on many occasions, the secondary had lots of missed assignments and penalties, and the pass rush couldn't get there unless we sent in extra players. I think the defense can only improve but they're still a liability until in my mind until they prove they can hang with tough teams.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Jeremy said:

I think the last 15 years have gotten to you. Don't worry about the offense, last year will likely be the worst offense we have under Frost me thinks. The Dline is said to be significantly improved and the secondary started playing very well towards the end of the year. We are about to see the most improvement in a football team maybe ever here at Nebraska. We are actually developing the players now rather than whatever was going on under Riley. Big jump coming this season. I don't know what that translates into record wise, but we saw it begin to take shape last season and this year it will be fully apparent this is a different team than we have had in the recent past.

• Plus1 1

Frosts offense is designed to replace skill players year after year especially if you have a talent like Martinez at QB. The line is a question but we have three returning starters. So, I think the offense will be fine. 

The Dline should see a massive improvement with the addition of Daniels, more experienced depth and another off season with Duval. Our corners are more experienced and better coached with depth coming in as well. Linebacker and safety are the questions to me. Safety I think the talent is there and we should be fine. The linebacking Corp is really the major unknown. Mo Barry has all conference potential, but the other three positions we need someone to step up and perform. If no one does then the D could get leaky quick. However, I think the potential for major improvement is there. 

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Frosts offense is designed to replace skill players year after year especially if you have a talent like Martinez at QB. The line is a question but we have three returning starters. So, I think the offense will be fine. 

The Dline should see a massive improvement with the addition of Daniels, more experienced depth and another off season with Duval. Our corners are more experienced and better coached with depth coming in as well. Linebacker and safety are the questions to me. Safety I think the talent is there and we should be fine. The linebacking Corp is really the major unknown. Mo Barry has all conference potential, but the other three positions we need someone to step up and perform. If no one does then the D could get leaky quick. However, I think the potential for major improvement is there. 

I'm drinking the cool aide on the offense, D line and secondary.  What will make this season a huge jump from last year is if we have one or two good pass rushers.  We haven't had one in a very long time and that includes last year.  Hopefully one or two players step up so opposing QBs don't have 30 minutes back there to dance around and find receivers.  That would make our DBs life a lot easier.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Agreed, this season majorly depends on Ferguson staying healthy, A. Davis or JoJo stepping up, and C. Miller or Honas taking the step forward to mirror Barry. Also, would be lovely if Tannor could take the step forward as he has the most upside of the bunch of OLB's we have.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Who's getting injured this year? Being you can see into the future and stuff.

45 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Agreed, this season majorly depends on Ferguson staying healthy, A. Davis or JoJo stepping up, and C. Miller or Honas taking the step forward to mirror Barry. Also, would be lovely if Tannor could take the step forward as he has the most upside of the bunch of OLB's we have.

I think if Ferg stays healthy he has a monster year. Really like his aggression and athleticism.

I'll believe the defense as a whole, and specifically the defensive line, is good when I see it.

They were below average last year. I agree that they should be better this fall, but improving from below average to just average won't make a lot of difference.

Sure, they could be better than that. I hope they are. I'm expecting the offense will have to carry the load most of this season though.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

I'll believe the defense as a whole, and specifically the defensive line, is good when I see it.

They were below average last year. I agree that they should be better this fall, but improving from below average to just average won't make a lot of difference.

Sure, they could be better than that. I hope they are. I'm expecting the offense will have to carry the load most of this season though.

The Dline suffered because Mick couldn't stay healthy which caused Carlos Davis to be put in a position where he doesn't excel. This caused our rotations to be wonky. I really think  it is why our offense appeared slower than how Frost and co usually operate on offense, because we couldn't get the bodies in fast enough on defense, in particular Dline, so we slowed things down on O to give them time. This year, I truly think Darrion Daniels is the 3rd most important player on the team because his presence will make our Dline that much better, help keep bodies fresh on the line when rotating, and will help in stopping the run.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

The defense was bad last year, not below average.

And I think improving to below average will make a big difference, given that a lot of our games were close and we have an easier schedule this year.

If the defense had been merely below average last year we might’ve gone 7-5 or 8-4. 

The offense will almost assuredly still carry the load this season but I hope Chinander will become a better DC as he gets more experience and we’ll have average or even good defenses in the near future. 

15 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

Given last years scoring numbers, the scoring defense improvement of 5 pts/game to get Nebraska to average, would result in +3 wins. That’s considering how poorly yards were turned into points a year ago. I’d expect scoring and production improve in Year 2.

Such a defensive improvement combined with a scoring improvement of 4 points per game results in +4 wins or the 8-4 record many are predicting.

To get to those 10 win totals, Nebraska has to either pull a Northwestern and win every close game, pull an Oklahoma and win every shoot-out, or the defense has to be quite a bit better than middle of the road.

• Thanks 1