Holy $#@& Phil Steele

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Frost does have experience with a hyped team and managed to keep winning games with them. 

The incredible thing about that team, and this was highlighted in the megathread at the time, was how well that team stayed on message all year. Their player interviews sounded like the coaches interviews. That happens because they’re getting a clear, consistent message every day. That’s something the players love about Coach Frost is they know what they’re getting. 

I really thought last year, despite the losses, we saw some of that. I thought the team weathered the storm of expectations well last year, even if the results took longer than anyone wanted. That team was still trying to have fun, coaches were still being creative. That got them through it until the dam broke and the wins came.

I dont worry about the team handling external expectations or hype because no matter how big it gets, their internal standards are higher. 

Where the expectations can become a problem is when they’re judged by expectations that grow faster than they do. Some of these predictions are in that territory. Certainly a 10-2 season or a top ten season is possible, but it’s quite speculative based on the experience level of a roster that has turned over this quickly.

• Plus1 2
46 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

Unless Adrian Martinez has a Cam Newton at Auburn type year.

Extremely plausible in this offense. The split between passing/rushing yards is a little more skewed to passing, but the total yards from scrimmage is similar. Milton actually had more total yards from scrimmage, and Mariota had a lot more.

Auburn that year gave up 24 points per game. If we can do that, who knows what may happen. Their offensive total of 41 points per game is well within the bounds of this offense, traditionally.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

I don't think they have the talent to finish in the top 10. At least not this year. Unless Adrian Martinez has a Cam Newton at Auburn type year.

I think this year is the stepping stone to a loaded team in 2020. 

I like this prediction - its like you have 20-20 vision

13 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

I don't think they have the talent to finish in the top 10. At least not this year. Unless Adrian Martinez has a Cam Newton at Auburn type year.

I think this year is the stepping stone to a loaded team in 2020. 

It's possible by the end of this season there will only be 4 SR starters total...so yeah, 2020 could be okay. 

• Plus1 1

I suspect this will be the youngest depth chart in thirty years and if Frost and Co have been recruting as well as we hope, then next year will be similar as the new blood will be getting on the field as redshirt frosh and sophs and juniors.   This is the most important way to rebuild a program for the long termm - by bringing in athletes and getting them experience as development as soon as possible without destroying their self confidence etc.  A true youth movement is going on in Lincoln and this bodes well for the future for many years to come.

The short term effect of such a young team typically will be:   highs and lows, errors and miscues, roller coaster emotions, etc.   Big wins followed by head scratching disappointment.   Our 0-6 start reflects both a new system with an entire new staff and schemes, etc. and a less than ideal work ethic and dedication to the mission by too many players.  Even with some seniors and redshirt juniors with considerably collegiate experience, the team played like a bunch of rookies or lost boys.  Both of these symptoms should be greatly reduced, although there will be some as we will be introducing another 20 or so raw and inexperienced 18 and 19 years olds in a 21 year old game.