Holy $#@& Phil Steele

Just now, Moiraine said:

Um, yes I would, or whoever made the original point would, because Nebraska’s average recruiting rankings are higher than MSU’s in that time span. We’ve been best in our division every year we’ve been in the B1G.

Absolutely agree.

So, what was our problem last year on defense? Put another way, let's say you had to choose between these two choices:

1. We just didn't have enough talent.

2. We had inferior coaching.

This is the moment I've been waiting for since this whole digression started! I eagerly await your response.

8 minutes ago, Undone said:

Absolutely agree.

So, what was our problem last year on defense? Put another way, let's say you had to choose between these two choices:

1. We just didn't have enough talent.

2. We had inferior coaching.

This is the moment I've been waiting for since this whole digression started! I eagerly await your response.

I don’t think you have any idea what my point of view is. I took issue with you saying someone’s post had nothing to do with your point, which was a false statement. 

Nebraska has a lot of talent compared to the rest of the division, but even good coaches can’t always turn things around overnight. That said we don’t know yet whether Chinander or the rest of the defensive staff are good coaches. The jury is still out. I’m generally positive so I think/hope they are decent and we’ll improve to mediocre this season, and have a decent defense in 2020.

If I was forced to choose I would say the defense had inferior coaching, but it’s idiotic to make that decision in season 1. I put a lot of weight on coaching change as a variable that can lead to poor play at first, even if the coaches are good. It’s weird to make it a black and white issue, especially after year 1 in the system. 

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

If I was forced to choose I would say the defense had inferior coaching, but it’s idiotic to make that decision in season 1. I put a lot of weight on coaching change as a variable that can lead to poor play at first, even if the coaches are good. 

Me too.

But the narrative after the Wisconsin game on this board was largely that "we have terrible talent left over from Riley's recruiting; just wait until Frost brings in the right horses to the stable!"

So just to bring this entire fevered dream of a tangent to a well-deserved mercy blow: If Wisconsin puts up rushing numbers on us again this season like they did last year and we lose the game, I'll be very interested to see the reactions here.

8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Nebraska will defeat Ohio State or Wisconsin or possibly both this year. I think we'll beat Iowa, too.

Unfortunately, we will probably to lose to one or more of Northwestern, Indiana, and Purdue because that's the way these things usually happen.

Two years in a row Ohio State has gotten BLOWN OUT in B1G West road, night games.  For all his accolades, I think Greg Schiano did a terrible job coordinating our defense.  We've got NFL talent all over the defense and, in spite of that, our defense posted the worst numbers in 30 years.  The good news is that Schiano is gone.  I expect that our defense will be MUCH improved as it will be in competent hands.  

With that said, Nebraska may very well beat tOSU when we visit Lincoln.  It would be a HUGE victory for you guys and for Scott Frost.  

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Let's not, because the real world is much more complicated than a false dichotomy. 

Let's do, because it's the offseason. 

Great context for 'false dichotomoy,' by the way. It's definitely a perfect example of exactly that.

1 hour ago, K9Buck said:

I think there is a good chance for NU and tOSU to meet twice this year, although Phil is picking Michigan from the east.  I think Michigan's offense is decent and their defense is overrated. Harbaugh hasn't been able to beat tOSU or win a big game.  He's 1-3 in bowls, 2-2 against MSU, and 0-4 against tOSU.  

We'll have to see what OSU looks like under Day.  Is he going to be more Lincoln Riley or will he be Will Muschamp

6 hours ago, K9Buck said:

Obviously, Frost will have to recruit at a very high level if Nebraska is going to compete for national championships.  Can he?

He's done pretty well on the back of two straight 4-8 seasons,  one in only two months.  Ranked #19 last year.  If the wins come this fall like we expect,  then I think things will start rolling in that regard to push NU to high single digits/low teens in the years ahead (2021 and beyond).  I don't ever expect top 5 classes, as he will take guys who are perfect system fits but lower rated for whatever reason. 

2020 I think 15-20 ish range again like 2019.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Moiraine said:

If I was forced to choose I would say the defense had inferior coaching, but it’s idiotic to make that decision in season 1. I put a lot of weight on coaching change as a variable that can lead to poor play at first, even if the coaches are good. It’s weird to make it a black and white issue, especially after year 1 in the system. 

I would say it’s bad coaching too.....the previous 10+ years.