Holy $#@& Phil Steele

6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Nebraska will defeat Ohio State or Wisconsin or possibly both this year. I think we'll beat Iowa, too.

Unfortunately, we will probably to lose to one or more of Northwestern, Indiana, and Purdue because that's the way these things usually happen.

I think this wins the wackiest offseason prediction.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, runningblind said:

He's done pretty well on the back of two straight 4-8 seasons,  one in only two months.  Ranked #19 last year.  If the wins come this fall like we expect,  then I think things will start rolling in that regard to push NU to high single digits/low teens in the years ahead (2021 and beyond).  I don't ever expect top 5 classes, as he will take guys who are perfect system fits but lower rated for whatever reason. 

2020 I think 15-20 ish range again like 2019.

The good news is that the B1G West is VERY winnable and if Frost runs a winning program that's fun to watch and fun to play in, he should be able to get elite talent.  I think NU can recruit top-5 classes IF Frost proves to be elite.  

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, K9Buck said:

The good news is that the B1G West is VERY winnable and if Frost runs a winning program that's fun to watch and fun to play in, he should be able to get elite talent.  I think NU can recruit top-5 classes IF Frost proves to be elite.  

We've never routinely averaged top 5 classes even when we were elite and one of the only teams on television and lots of people didn't live in the south yet. I don't imagine there's any possible way for that to be normal.

4 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Wrong.

We didn't have a good defense.  If the players don't know where to be or what coverage to be in or what gap to fill or have linebackers that hesitate just a split second...that's the difference between average to below average defenses and good to great defenses.

You can't grade our defensive coaches based on a single year at Nebraska.  That's just lame.

This is a very difficult transition, too, with these players having gone through so many coaches and now being asked to implement a much more aggressive philosophy. Last year is a complete mulligan because you can only judge based on what we were capable of doing and that wasn’t much.

This year is a different story and those players know that. I’m hesitant on this defense, but I’m also very excited.

14 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I think this wins the wackiest offseason prediction.

As suggested, I don't know exactly how it will turn out, but given that virtually every contending team will land a big win against a higher ranked opponent, and falter in a letdown or trap game situation, I'm good with the prediction. It's based on the history of college football. 

• Plus1 1
  • 4 months later...

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Bump.

Man, were we wide-eyed and innocent back in July.

Well I think we all bought into the hype and assumed Frost could quickly turn around Nebraska as he did UCF. In hindsight UCF was in much better shape as they had three winning seasons out of the four before Frost got there in 2016...including a 2013 Fiesta Bowl win. The class signed after that Fiesta Bowl win would have been the upperclassmen Frost inherited when he arrived at UCF. 

• Plus1 2