Jump to content

Holy $#@& Phil Steele


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, NUinID said:

 

I think you are off some on your thinking.  Nebraska has not been very good over the coarse of time it has been in the B1G.  My opinion of the B1G has changed.  To me it is a league full of teams that are very solid/good they just aren't great.  Iowa, Wisconsin, NW, PSU, Michigan are all good teams that have shown very well all over the country over the last few years.  They just haven't been playoff teams. You can't sleep on Purdue, Minnesota, Indiana or  Maryland either.  They show up to play.  

 

The B1G is a league that you better show up and play every week.  It is still a big boy tough league that will beat each other up it is not a track meet like the B12.  It is much closer to the way the SEC plays football.  

I agree with this and will add that I think the B1G is much tougher top to bottom than any other league

Link to post

  • Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So much for reasonable expectations in year two.   Edit: I tried uploading a picture, but it didn't work. Anyways, Phil Steele has Nebraska playing Utah ... in the Rose Bowl.    Ed

I, for one, am perfectly fine buying into hype.  That's part of being a fan.

Posted Images

I think most improved is almost a no brainer.  You've got a 4-8 team that lost close games with a coach like Frost.  I wouldn't hold my breath on OSU being bad.  They've always been "good", though whether that's an objective statement statement or the result of overinflated poll rankings and a weak big ten, is up for debate.  Still, Ohio produces the 5th most talent in the nation (behind CA, TX, Fl, and Ga) and they aren't going anywhere.  I won't hold my breath on Georgia. Every time we're ranked 5th or higher we self destruct. Instead I will look forward to cooking Brats and watching the boys run the dang ball.  

Link to post

This should be Harbaugh’s year to win with the East being down. I’m interested in that narrative as the season plays out. OSU will be down, PSU will be down, MSU would need to rebound. With the hype and $$$ behind Harbaugh, it should be his year to capitalize 

Link to post
8 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I agree with this and will add that I think the B1G is much tougher top to bottom than any other league

 

Yes, I think top to bottom it is a pretty tough league.  The B1G has IMO the best coaching overall of any conference.  What it lacks is the overall top end talent that the SEC has.  Right now only OSU has that reload talent like an Alabama, Georgia, and LSU.  

Link to post
1 hour ago, NUinID said:

 

I think you are off some on your thinking.  Nebraska has not been very good over the coarse of time it has been in the B1G.  My opinion of the B1G has changed.  To me it is a league full of teams that are very solid/good they just aren't great.  Iowa, Wisconsin, NW, PSU, Michigan are all good teams that have shown very well all over the country over the last few years.  They just haven't been playoff teams. You can't sleep on Purdue, Minnesota, Indiana or  Maryland either.  They show up to play.  

 

The B1G is a league that you better show up and play every week.  It is still a big boy tough league that will beat each other up it is not a track meet like the B12.  It is much closer to the way the SEC plays football.  

No...just like before we joined when we all made fun of the league, it still holds true.

 

OSU is great...then what?  

In the last 10 years the hoosiers have 44 wins

Minny has 61 wins

Purdue has 44

Maryland has 48

 

These teams suck...NU has like 70 wins over that time.

 

The opinion of the big ten changed all of a sudden because we (NU) has been lame so we have eaten some crow.

 

NU is already favored in all its games this year except OSU...think about that for a minute.

  • Plus1 3
Link to post
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

No...just like before we joined when we all made fun of the league, it still holds true.

 

OSU is great...then what?  

In the last 10 years the hoosiers have 44 wins

Minny has 61 wins

Purdue has 44

Maryland has 48

 

These teams suck...NU has like 70 wins over that time.

 

The opinion of the big ten changed all of a sudden because we (NU) has been lame so we have eaten some crow.

 

I like how you went straight to my Indiana, Purdue, Maryland and Minnesota comments and forgot about Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU, NW, and PSU.

 

You confuse being good with being elite.  Right now their are about 4 elite teams in the country.  Teams that are only losing 1 game a year in the regular season consistently is what I call elite. Alabama, Clemson, OSU, Oklahoma are really the only teams right now that I think fit that bill. Oklahoma is iffy on that end IMO. Georgia may get their, but it is too soon to tell.  That still leaves a lot of good teams.  Lots of 8-10 win teams out there.  Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, PSU, NW and PSU fall into that category.  Nebraska has to play 3 of them every year.  

  • Plus1 1
Link to post
7 minutes ago, NUinID said:

 

I like how you went straight to my Indiana, Purdue, Maryland and Minnesota comments and forgot about Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU, NW, and PSU.

 

You confuse being good with being elite.  Right now their are about 4 elite teams in the country.  Teams that are only losing 1 game a year in the regular season consistently is what I call elite. Alabama, Clemson, OSU, Oklahoma are really the only teams right now that I think fit that bill. Oklahoma is iffy on that end IMO. Georgia may get their, but it is too soon to tell.  That still leaves a lot of good teams.  Lots of 8-10 win teams out there.  Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, PSU, NW and PSU fall into that category.  Nebraska has to play 3 of them every year.  

Well...you made the comment about those crappy teams so I was just showing that they are crappy.

 

We knew coming into the Big Ten that OSU and Michigan were good.  PSU is good.  MSU is average but had a nice little 3-4 year run (When Michigan sucked and when PSU was falling apart)...NW?  Come on.  Iowa?  Average.  

 

When we joined the Big Ten NO ONE was like "OMG...we have to play NW and Iowa this year!  UGggg, what are we going to do!"

 

Shoot we even joked about Wisconsin.  

 

It isn't that those teams are good...it is more those teams are all averagely the same...so they beat up each other and end up with those amazingly average records. 8 win teams?  Okay, who cares about that.  We make fun of 8 wins.

  • Plus1 1
Link to post
17 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No...just like before we joined when we all made fun of the league, it still holds true.

 

OSU is great...then what?  

In the last 10 years the hoosiers have 44 wins

Minny has 61 wins

Purdue has 44

Maryland has 48

 

These teams suck...NU has like 70 wins over that time.

 

The opinion of the big ten changed all of a sudden because we (NU) has been lame so we have eaten some crow.

 

NU is already favored in all its games this year except OSU...think about that for a minute.

Every conference has bottom dwellers that aren't that good.  You seem to be concentrating on them and ignoring everyone else.

 

As for me, I always thought the Big Ten was good.  It's just that when we were at the top echelon of college football, they weren't at our level.  They would have a team every once in a while like Michigan in 97 that would make some noise.  My opinion hasn't changed on that.  I still think it's a good conference and one we should be proud to win.....when that happens.  The conference does have a lot of teams in the middle that are good, but not elite.  That makes for a pretty tough conference to run the table in.  

Link to post
7 minutes ago, NUinID said:

 

I like how you went straight to my Indiana, Purdue, Maryland and Minnesota comments and forgot about Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU, NW, and PSU.

 

You confuse being good with being elite.  Right now their are about 4 elite teams in the country.  Teams that are only losing 1 game a year in the regular season consistently is what I call elite. Alabama, Clemson, OSU, Oklahoma are really the only teams right now that I think fit that bill. Oklahoma is iffy on that end IMO. Georgia may get their, but it is too soon to tell.  That still leaves a lot of good teams.  Lots of 8-10 win teams out there.  Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, PSU, NW and PSU fall into that category.  Nebraska has to play 3 of them every year.  

I think part of point he is making is the same that I was making and believe to be true. People who think Nebraska has struggled in the Big 10 because the Big 10 is just so tough is crap. We started struggling in 2002 after the Osborne recruits were gone and have been struggling to find our way back. Its not because the Big 10 is a better conference thus we have been put in our place and would have never won as many games the last 50 years if we were in the Big 10 instead of the Big 12. We have been struggling the last 15 years and it is all on US, not what anyone has done to us. It doesnt matter if we are in the pac12, big10 or big 12 we have not played good football since 2001. 

 

Just a quick comparison. 

 

Since 1990 the big 12 teams have won 6 national titles and the big 10 has won 3. 

 

That same ratio exists if you go even further back to 1970. 

 

Since 1970 the big 12 teams have won 11 national titles and the big 10 has won 5. 

 

Point being, we won at an amazing rate because we were just that good. Not because we were in a weak conference. Based on the lack of elite competition, the elite teams like ohio state should have competed for more national championships over that same span.

Link to post
9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Every conference has bottom dwellers that aren't that good.  You seem to be concentrating on them and ignoring everyone else.

 

As for me, I always thought the Big Ten was good.  It's just that when we were at the top echelon of college football, they weren't at our level.  They would have a team every once in a while like Michigan in 97 that would make some noise.  My opinion hasn't changed on that.  I still think it's a good conference and one we should be proud to win.....when that happens.  The conference does have a lot of teams in the middle that are good, but not elite.  That makes for a pretty tough conference to run the table in.  

I can agree with that. The exception would be- when we were on top of our game in the 70's 80's 90's we would have crushed them just like we crushed the big 8 and big 12. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
14 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think part of point he is making is the same that I was making and believe to be true. People who think Nebraska has struggled in the Big 10 because the Big 10 is just so tough is crap. We started struggling in 2002 after the Osborne recruits were gone and have been struggling to find our way back. Its not because the Big 10 is a better conference thus we have been put in our place and would have never won as many games the last 50 years if we were in the Big 10 instead of the Big 12. We have been struggling the last 15 years and it is all on US, not what anyone has done to us. It doesnt matter if we are in the pac12, big10 or big 12 we have not played good football since 2001. 

 

Just a quick comparison. 

 

Since 1990 the big 12 teams have won 6 national titles and the big 10 has won 3. 

 

That same ratio exists if you go even further back to 1970. 

 

Since 1970 the big 12 teams have won 11 national titles and the big 10 has won 5. 

 

Point being, we won at an amazing rate because we were just that good. Not because we were in a weak conference. Based on the lack of elite competition, the elite teams like ohio state should have competed for more national championships over that same span.

Yep.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
18 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think part of point he is making is the same that I was making and believe to be true. People who think Nebraska has struggled in the Big 10 because the Big 10 is just so tough is crap.

 

Is someone actually making this argument?

Link to post
21 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Well...you made the comment about those crappy teams so I was just showing that they are crappy.

 

We knew coming into the Big Ten that OSU and Michigan were good.  PSU is good.  MSU is average but had a nice little 3-4 year run (When Michigan sucked and when PSU was falling apart)...NW?  Come on.  Iowa?  Average.  

 

When we joined the Big Ten NO ONE was like "OMG...we have to play NW and Iowa this year!  UGggg, what are we going to do!"

 

Shoot we even joked about Wisconsin.  

 

It isn't that those teams are good...it is more those teams are all averagely the same...so they beat up each other and end up with those amazingly average records. 8 win teams?  Okay, who cares about that.  We make fun of 8 wins.

 

I guess if you think winning 8 games a year is average than we have a different definition of average.  I am talking about games being gimmies.  There are very few gimmies in the B1G right now and really hasn't been a lot of gimmies since we joined the B1G.  Even if Nebraska is an elite team games against Wisconsin, NW, MSU, PSU, Iowa aren't gimmies.  Do you think Urban Meyer thought those were cake walk games?  

 

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




















×
×
  • Create New...