** 2019 Husker Previews: The Athletic - Confidence surges at Nebraska as Huskers again ‘play for each other’ under Scott Frost **

The Athletic: Confidence surges at Nebraska as Huskers again ‘play for each other’ under Scott Frost

Everyone wants to know what’s changed at Nebraska. What’s different about coach Scott Frost’s second team that has transformed it, after back-to-back four-win seasons for the first time in nearly 60 years, into a trendy pick to win the Big Ten West?

Defensive coordinator Erik Chinander hears all the suggestions about physicality and execution and scheme. He offers something else.

“They want to play for each other,” he said. “The ‘care factor’ is high right now — about each other and about the program. Scott does an unbelievable job. And I think what makes him the best is the culture piece of this whole thing.”

When Frost and Chinander arrived in Lincoln in December 2017 along with the rest of the staff after two seasons at UCF, Nebraska players largely stayed out of the football offices.

“It was like a ghost town,” Chinander said. “They didn’t come around here, period. And now I can’t chase them out. They’re in here watching film. I don’t always know if they’re watching the right things or what they’re watching. But I know they’re watching, and I know they’re together. I know they work out and organize their own stuff. They like football and they care about one another. That wasn’t the case when we first got here.”

https://theathletic.com/1038788/2019/06/24/nebraska-football-2019-schedule-roster-depth-chart/

• Plus1 2

45 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Can't wait for week 1.

I know man. I used to force myself to pay as little attention to offseason stuff like this because it would always just get my hopes up too high, but it's impossible to not read into these stories as nothing but legitimately positive.

When our players want to train hard, everything else just starts to fall into place. 

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

I know man. I used to force myself to pay as little attention to offseason stuff like this because it would always just get my hopes up too high, but it's impossible to not read into these stories as nothing but legitimately positive.

When our players want to train hard, everything else just starts to fall into place. 

One thing about the start of this season is how important that OSU game seems to be.  I hate that it is so early in the season.

Remember the USC game?  Seemed to ruin the season.

• Plus1 1
Just now, teachercd said:

One thing about the start of this season is how important that OSU game seems to be.  I hate that it is so early in the season.

I've been wondering the same thing: will losing to tOSU derail the season because of the preseason hype? I sure hope not.

Just now, RedDenver said:

I've been wondering the same thing: will losing to tOSU derail the season because of the preseason hype? I sure hope not.

It has so much hype around and will only get bigger.  It is week 4 (right?)

Gameday will be here, it will probably be Top 5 vs Top 20?

Since it is at home I feel like even a close loss will really mess things up.

• Plus1 1

Defensive coordinator Erik Chinander hears all the suggestions about physicality and execution and scheme. He offers something else.

“They want to play for each other,” he said. “The ‘care factor’ is high right now — about each other and about the program. Scott does an unbelievable job. And I think what makes him the best is the culture piece of this whole thing.”

A large amount of pre-season "journalism" (way too strong a word for gossip and propaganda/hype) is just to fill pages with ink so you can give something to readers who are aching for something to fill in their football diet....also as a disclaimer I could not read the full article, because I am not a subscriber.  HOWEVER, whenever I hear touchy feely things coming from the coach's mouth, like 'caring', 'work ethic', etc, it makes me want to run for the hills.  The farther the coaches get away from concrete things they are doing different, and the closer they get to "working harder" and "caring more", the more worried I get for our season.

• Plus1 1

Did 0-6 ruin the rest of the season?

Just now, CriticalFan said:

A large amount of pre-season "journalism" (way too strong a word for gossip and propaganda/hype) is just to fill pages with ink so you can give something to readers who are aching for something to fill in their football diet....also as a disclaimer I could not read the full article, because I am not a subscriber.  HOWEVER, whenever I hear touchy feely things coming from the coach's mouth, like 'caring', 'work ethic', etc, it makes me want to run for the hills.  The farther the coaches get away from concrete things they are doing different, and the closer they get to "working harder" and "caring more", the more worried I get for our season.

Please do “run for the hills”.  Kthxbye.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

That game was brutal.

If I forced myself to see the glass as half full on the OSU game, the main thing I'd come up with is that they could be going through some transition stuff with Day at the helm that could maybe have them in disarray, so maybe playing them early versus us getting less time to get our stuff together is a wash(?).

26 minutes ago, CriticalFan said:

You are right, they weren't caring enough until game 7.  (Posted from the hills I ran to - CriticalFan)

My two posts got merged - the 0-6 comment was for those who were questioning if an early loss was going to ruin the mentality of the team for the rest of the season.  

The run for the hills was chosen specially for you.  :)  Since that’s what you wanted to do anyway, I’m merely encouraging it.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Depends on how we lose. If its a tight game the excitement will be just as high if not higher. A blowout loss would be a kick in the nads though.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, CriticalFan said:

In the full article there was plenty of talk about things they are doing differently. They're in the football offices when they weren't before, they are watching film together when they weren't before, they are organizing outside team activities they weren't before. There is actually only the one line of touchy feely in the article.