California Kicked out of NCAA

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2019/06/24/ncaa-california-schools-could-banned-championships-over-bill/1542632001/

This will be interesting to see how this plays out. You have seen the rumor started by Zach Smith that Urban Meyer might be interested in coaching at USC. If USC gets excluded from the possibility of competing for NCAA championships I don't see him going there. 

Also, this has got to be a good recruiting tool for any schools not in California. "Hey high school kid, do you want to come to Nebraska or go to UCLA and may not be able to compete for a championship" 

24 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2019/06/24/ncaa-california-schools-could-banned-championships-over-bill/1542632001/

This will be interesting to see how this plays out. You have seen the rumor started by Zach Smith that Urban Meyer might be interested in coaching at USC. If USC gets excluded from the possibility of competing for NCAA championships I don't see him going there. 

Also, this has got to be a good recruiting tool for any schools not in California. "Hey high school kid, do you want to come to Nebraska or go to UCLA and may not be able to compete for a championship" 

Or hey do you want to make money in college? Could go both ways 

• Plus1 1

Just now, BIG ERN said:

Or hey do you want to make money in college? Could go both ways 

How are the schools going to be paying them if they have less funds?  Their revenue (and the conference's) will go down if they're not allowed to compete in championships nor the tournament.  The conference will not get as good of a tv deal neither.

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I like how the NCAA is asking them to wait on the bill until they (the NCAA) review their own rules. This bill wouldn't take effect until 2023! That's not enough time for the NCAA? I know it's not something that can change overnight, but that's a ways off.

Have you ever seen how quickly the NCAA moves?  I've seen snails make quicker decisions.

14 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Have you ever seen how quickly the NCAA moves?  I've seen snails make quicker decisions.

True, but they jumped to the playoff pretty quick once enough people were upset with the old system. I know fans had been talking about it for a while, but it seemed like a pretty quick turnaround from when the NCAA said they were doing it to the first year it happened.

7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

True, but they jumped to the playoff pretty quick once enough people were upset with the old system. I know fans had been talking about it for a while, but it seemed like a pretty quick turnaround from when the NCAA said they were doing it to the first year it happened.

I will say every now and then they do surprise with some of their changes, like the playoff system.  However, this issue has drug on for how many years now?  I don't expect anything even remotely soon.  Maybe in a decade or two they'll have it resolved.

In other news, California is NOT kicked out of the NCAA. Nice clickbait title.

I’m no huge supporter of the NCAA but I find it amusing the people that are upset with them for threatening to not let Cali schools play for NCAA championships. I’m glad somebody is trying to slow their roll. What if some state in the B1G (not Nebraska) decided to pay their players or otherwise give certain schools a competitive advantage over other conference members? This is the type of thing that has to apply to all schools or none. It just might be the first thing the NCAA has gotten right in a very long time.