The Maudfather

Alternate Uniforms 2019

Here's a little tid bit from /r/huskers:

Just wanted to drop some news off from Rivals today.

None of this is confirmed obviously but it appears we will not have a true alternate jersey this year, but instead will have a THIRD team jersey color which will be used in any games we'd like. Said it will be similar to their red/whites. I'm sure more info will be coming out soon, since I've seen a lot of other schools start posting their 2019 jerseys on twitter, etc.

• Plus1 1

Maybe this means we are essentially creating a permanent uniform combo that we will pull out every year and possibly add to? A third color sounds like something that could live past 2019 as a one off uniform.

48 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Maybe this means we are essentially creating a permanent uniform combo that we will pull out every year and possibly add to? A third color sounds like something that could live past 2019 as a one off uniform.

I think so.

Doubt we'll ever do anything close to Oregon, but when Scott started at UCF they made the new uniforms with 3 options each for helmet, jersey, and pants and wore it different every week.

Not saying Nebraska will or should do that, but I can see us incorporating the Blackshirts motif as a 3rd option to occasionally use.

• Plus1 1

I'm sure it will be something that the players think is cool, but I doubt Coach Frost will let it be too gimmicky,. When he was at UCF they had no tradition so he was trying to find different things to attract kids, where as we have lots of tradition so while it might be different from what we're used to, I doubt it will be too far from traditional NU

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

Interesting tidbit that doesn't really say much. If that's to believe, then the third would presumably either be a black jersey, an all-white alternate (which we've worn a lot over the last few years), or an all-red alternate? Or, this:

he6pss1tae801.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s

That tire tread on the jersey is hideous.  Stupid Adidas.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Hope we keep the icey whites we used at northwestern as an alternate road uni.  

Agree - I think and hope it will be some sort of all whites. 

• Upvote 1

I personally hate the all-white look - the ones we wore against NW were the best by far, I could tolerate those. But in general I just don't like the look, if we go all one color I prefer red.

I feel like it has to be black if it's true though, "third team jersey color" implies not red or white. We don't have a tertiary color, and black is really the only other color that makes sense with the blackshirts. Anything other than black or a gray/silver probably just clashes too hard with the traditional red.

• Plus1 3
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I personally hate the all-white look - the ones we wore against NW were the best by far, I could tolerate those. But in general I just don't like the look, if we go all one color I prefer red.

I feel like it has to be black if it's true though, "third team jersey color" implies not red or white. We don't have a tertiary color, and black is really the only other color that makes sense with the blackshirts. Anything other than black or a gray/silver probably just clashes too hard with the traditional red.

I hope not gray. I’ve never liked when the coaches wear gray because it looks too Ohio Statey.

or should I say aOSU. AN Ohio State. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Bigred_inSD said:

Old people are getting ready to yell

It will stop them from yelling at the standing fans!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

All whites in 2017 and 2018 throwback have been our best alternates hands down in my opinion.  The super blacks are probably third on my list.  Hoping to see the trend up continue.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

All whites have always looked terrible

giphy.gif

• Plus1 2

It's just too much of a non-color:

image.png.a59202e42198830200fd2396d7388a44.png

Jersey/pants/helmet the same color can work, but it has to be a color IMO.

1 hour ago, Apsu said:

As a traditionalist, I like the classic jersey.

These ones?

image.png.748520f31adf108ed95dc166e7f31b48.png

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Just bring these back: 

new-adidas-black-football-uniforms-nebra

No. Turrrible, turrible, turrible. 

If we're going black, we better do it right. Every single alternate that Adidas has done (save the 97's) has been way too busy. Just give me something simplistic and clean. 

I'd kill for a matte black helmet, matte black face mask and a blackshirt logo on the helmet. I think our script "Huskers" would be an excellent twist on the helmets too. 

I just hope they do it right this year. 

2 minutes ago, The Maudfather said:

No. Turrrible, turrible, turrible. 

If we're going black, we better do it right. Every single alternate that Adidas has done (save the 97's) has been way too busy. Just give me something simplistic and clean. 

I'd kill for a matte black helmet, matte black face mask and a blackshirt logo on the helmet. I think our script "Huskers" would be an excellent twist on the helmets too. 

I just hope they do it right this year. 

That's busier than the aforementioned picture, which is a basic palate swap between red and black. 

Also, the original throwbacks were simply a font change and numbers on the helmet. 

• Plus1 2

Just now, Cdog923 said:

That's busier than the aforementioned picture, which is a basic palate swap between red and black. 

The palate swap was a big part of the problem. Especially when they added the unnecessary gray accent to the gaudy tire tread and goofy numbers. 

Just now, The Maudfather said:

The palate swap was a big part of the problem. Especially when they added the unnecessary gray accent to the gaudy tire tread and goofy numbers. 

But it's a simpler look than what you are suggesting, which stems from the idea that every alt we've had has been too "busy". If we're going to go crazy with an alternate uniform, let's do it, but let's do it in good faith (and just go full-bore into the Runza uniforms). 

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

But it's a simpler look than what you are suggesting, which stems from the idea that every alt we've had has been too "busy". If we're going to go crazy with an alternate uniform, let's do it, but let's do it in good faith (and just go full-bore into the Runza uniforms). 

Cdog, you and I have officially hit peak offseason. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Black or GTFO

All whites have always looked terrible

giphy.gif

44 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

It's just too much of a non-color:

image.png.a59202e42198830200fd2396d7388a44.png

Jersey/pants/helmet the same color can work, but it has to be a color IMO.

Also wrong. They look great. Any school with a minimal color accent all white look looks great imo. The stormtrooper look is a good one.

• Plus1 2

While I think the all-whites look good, I have never really been a fan of them.  To me, they are just bad luck.  NU wore them against Ga Tech in the '91 Citrus Bowl and got smoked.  Then NU switched to all-white roadies in '91, and proceeded to get smoked by Washington and had an embarrassing lost to Iowa State.  The all-whites went into moth balls for the long time after that (other than the 2002 season with the red gusset look down the side of the uni).  I think Billy C broke them back out in his last game at NU at Colorado.

I know it's just a uniform, but NU has such great looks with their classic home and road uni's.  If anything, an all-red look at home wouldn't be bad.

• Plus1 1

46 minutes ago, The Maudfather said:

Cdog, you and I have officially hit peak offseason. 

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I got the impression that they are going to be very similar to the existing jerseys and not a true “alternate”.

I think black would make the most sense but for some reason I got the impression that it’s not going to be that.  But I’ve always thought black with red trim looked awesome so hopefully that.

I think aOSU did a better black uniform than we did (because ours had the tire tread or whatever that pattern is on the shoulder). I also prefer the normal looking numbers and the fact that they're red.

new-2013-nebraska-black-football-uniform

8729953.jpg

• Plus1 1

Obligatory Bugeater throwback concept, make this happen Adidas 

GCJZ3C5.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I think aOSU did a better black uniform than we did (because ours had the tire tread or whatever that pattern is on the shoulder). I also prefer the normal looking numbers and the fact that they're red.

new-2013-nebraska-black-football-uniform

8729953.jpg

The problem, I thought, with osu's is they looked like the Corvallis osu

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2019 at 5:54 PM, Landlord said:

Interesting tidbit that doesn't really say much. If that's to believe, then the third would presumably either be a black jersey, an all-white alternate (which we've worn a lot over the last few years), or an all-red alternate? Or, this:

he6pss1tae801.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s

The best part about this pic is his "why the eff are we wearing this uni?" expression.

• Haha 1

(Almost) One month bump. Anybody hear rumors?

1 hour ago, GSG said:

(Almost) One month bump. Anybody hear rumors?

The uniform he is wearing has the 150 patch. So maybe the white/chrome will be coming back as the 3rd uniform.

Screenshot_20190725-161839_Chrome.jpg

• Plus1 3

7 hours ago, FrostedTips said:

The uniform he is wearing has the 150 patch. So maybe the white/chrome will be coming back as the 3rd uniform.

Screenshot_20190725-161839_Chrome.jpg

The 150 patch is to commemorate 150 years of football. 

That combo is the white helmet we wore against NW, our white jersey and white pants.

1 hour ago, The Maudfather said:

That combo is the white helmet we wore against NW, our white jersey and white pants.

I think he knows that. He's pointing to the patch as evidence that this combo will be used this year, as evidenced by the 150 patch.

It's a good argument. Another option would just be that the kid committed threw on some random stuff he wanted for a photo. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

I think he knows that. He's pointing to the patch as evidence that this combo will be used this year, as evidenced by the 150 patch.

It's a good argument. Another option would just be that the kid committed threw on some random stuff he wanted for a photo. 

Im sure he liked the uniform combo, however that jersey has the patches moved around to fit the 2019 look. It’s not like an old jersey they had sitting in storage that he pulled out and tried on in a picture.

7 hours ago, The Maudfather said:

I know what the patch is for, that's why I brought it up. 

He could have just worn our regular all whites and threw on the helmet with chrome facemask. Who knows...

1 hour ago, cornhuskers4ever said:

I want to see something like this for an alternate Jersey

Image result for nebraska uniform 1983

They did that two years ago

Screen_Shot_2017_07_27_at_10.46.58_PM.0.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, huskerguy said:

Im sure he liked the uniform combo, however that jersey has the patches moved around to fit the 2019 look. It’s not like an old jersey they had sitting in storage that he pulled out and tried on in a picture.

What is it with this thread? Yes, I know that :lol: That's why it was brought up in the first place - the jersey top is a new 2019 jersey. So this is either a tease of a new combo our team will wear this year, or it's a recruit trying on some different stuff he likes (doesn't have to be old jerseys sitting in storage, can be all new stuff).

On 6/25/2019 at 7:18 PM, swmohusker said:

Hope we keep the icey whites we used at northwestern as an alternate road uni.  

oh my god plz, or just make them the official away uniforms, old people be darned

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1