Democratic Debates

6 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I didn't watch it because I can't vote in the primary anyway and I'll vote for whichever Democrat is running against Trump. I have a few candidates I would prefer, like not-Biden and a couple others, but I'm not gonna become a Democrat just to vote in the primary.

I think if you are registered as an independent, like I am, you can vote in either the democratic or republican primary. You can vote in only one or the other not both. This might vary state by state but in Nebraska I believe that is the case. 

• Fire 1
12 hours ago, teachercd said:

Prediction AOC leaves politics for a sweet 30 million dollar a year job on some TV station discussing current events.  And honestly...it would be the right choice at her age...strike now and enjoy it.

This would be the biggest heel turn in history. Even bigger than Hulk Hogan becoming Hollywood Hogan. The only thing I ask is we get Jim Ross and Jerry the King to break the news. 

13 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Warren did well as expected. I'll be interested in seeing if her stance on abolishing the private insurance industry will be as much of a liability down the road as pundits assure us all it will be.

I just want to clarify that M4A doesn't abolish private insurance - that's the hot take by the media. What it actually says is that an insurance provider cannot offer the same service coverage as M4A, so that insurance companies cannot defraud people by getting them to pay for what M4A already covers. It's a subtle difference, but it means that supplemental insurance is it allowed.

13 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

The biggest takeaway was that 10 person debates don't work. You barely scratch the surface of what participants believe and want to do.

Yeah, the large, circus debate style makes the entire process non-serious and leads to reality TV personalities winning elections. I'm not sure how the DNC should handle it though.

11 hours ago, teachercd said:

Agreed...he is horrible on TV and I think everyone knows that but I think he is better in person.  

Bernie is actually good on TV in interviews and townhalls - he's just not a good debater. Bernie isn't aggressive enough and doesn't attack the other Dem candidates, which I wish he would but that's not his style.

• Thanks 1

Kamla Harris might have put the dagger in Biden's candidacy. I thought Biden was weak and would trail off as the process went along, but he was terrible last night.

Bernie started off weak but got better throughout the debate. He's not a good debater though, especially in such a crowded field.

Overall, Kamala Harris killed it. Harris did the best, Bernie did decent, Biden got crushed but will still have good poll numbers, and the rest can bow out of the race. I think the race is going to narrow down to Bernie, Warren, Harris, Booker, and Biden over the next couple months.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

I think if you are registered as an independent, like I am, you can vote in either the democratic or republican primary. You can vote in only one or the other not both. This might vary state by state but in Nebraska I believe that is the case. 

I tried doing the Dem primary in 2016 and they wouldn’t let me in.

13 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I just want to clarify that M4A doesn't abolish private insurance - that's the hot take by the media. What it actually says is that an insurance provider cannot offer the same service coverage as M4A, so that insurance companies cannot defraud people by getting them to pay for what M4A already covers. It's a subtle difference, but it means that supplemental insurance is it allowed.

Yeah, the large, circus debate style makes the entire process non-serious and leads to reality TV personalities winning elections. I'm not sure how the DNC should handle it though.

Bernie is actually good on TV in interviews and townhalls - he's just not a good debater. Bernie isn't aggressive enough and doesn't attack the other Dem candidates, which I wish he would but that's not his style.

They should handle it by increasing the minimum polling %. Make it 3 or 5 or whatever. 

@BigRedBuster, I know you say you're conservative and wouldn't vote for Bernie or Warren, but you agree with quite a few of their policies based on discussions on here. Might be worth looking into their policies deeper and see if you really disagree with them that much.

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

They should handle it by increasing the minimum polling %. Make it 3 or 5 or whatever. 

But then up-and-coming candidates are excluded. I'd propose having a maximum of 5 or 6 candidates per debate stage and just have a bunch of parts instead of just 2 parts like this week.

11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

@BigRedBuster, I know you say you're conservative and wouldn't vote for Bernie or Warren, but you agree with quite a few of their policies based on discussions on here. Might be worth looking into their policies deeper and see if you really disagree with them that much.

But then up-and-coming candidates are excluded. I'd propose having a maximum of 5 or 6 candidates per debate stage and just have a bunch of parts instead of just 2 parts like this week.

Might be a good idea. They could separate the 4 major/highest % candidates to their own groups to try to help with viewership.

15 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'd propose having a maximum of 5 or 6 candidates per debate stage and just have a bunch of parts instead of just 2 parts like this week.

I agree that would be more ideal in terms of getting more substantial answers and better conversation flow. ...but watching 4 or 5 of these debates over the course of a week or two, and then doing it again next month? Ugh.

It was hard enough to sit through two of these. And I am a guy who finds these sorts of things very important. More casual voters, and especially those with limited free time, are going to miss out on a lot. It's difficult for a candidate in a crowded field to get their message heard, and I'm not sure if the networks have a good answer to give everyone adequate exposure in an efficient manner. 

Watching 3 and a half hours of debate this week was the most TV I've watched since football season. It was exhausting. Important, yes, but exhausting.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Meh....I'm not ruling anyone totally out (Other than Trump) at this time.  I'll listen.  Right now, Bernie is pretty far down on my list.  Pretty close to the bottom.  Warren is probably somewhere in the middle.

Bernie seems like the type of candidate that is good for getting discussion going on topics and might have some good ideas.  But...not a guy that I would prefer to be in the office full time.