Democratic Debates

14 hours ago, teachercd said:

This Hickenlooper guy is AMAZING!!!!

Does Biden not realize that he is a former VP?  He is basically THE GUY right now...but...well...won't act like it.

Biden often stopped in mid-sentence and said "oh, my time is up?" when every other candidate just bulldozed over the moderators.

I think Joe was grateful to get out of the question. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Kamla Harris might have put the dagger in Biden's candidacy. I thought Biden was weak and would trail off as the process went along, but he was terrible last night. 

Bernie started off weak but got better throughout the debate. He's not a good debater though, especially in such a crowded field. 

Overall, Kamala Harris killed it. Harris did the best, Bernie did decent, Biden got crushed but will still have good poll numbers, and the rest can bow out of the race. I think the race is going to narrow down to Bernie, Warren, Harris, Booker, and Biden over the next couple months. 

I doubt this. The first debate drew a smidge over 15M viewers. The second one will likely top that number.

Even so, if this article is correct that there are ~157M registered voters in the U.S., this one will barely reach more than 1/10th of registered voters.

She did amazing. But I'm skeptical how much it will change things. She definitely should see a bounce though.

3 hours ago, Ulty said:

I agree that would be more ideal in terms of getting more substantial answers and better conversation flow. ...but watching 4 or 5 of these debates over the course of a week or two, and then doing it again next month? Ugh.

It was hard enough to sit through two of these. And I am a guy who finds these sorts of things very important. More casual voters, and especially those with limited free time, are going to miss out on a lot. It's difficult for a candidate in a crowded field to get their message heard, and I'm not sure if the networks have a good answer to give everyone adequate exposure in an efficient manner.  

Watching 3 and a half hours of debate this week was the most TV I've watched since football season. It was exhausting. Important, yes, but exhausting. 

I was really annoyed at Chuck Todd's stupid "Here's a super complex question, answer it in one or two words, please" schtick.

Like, that's not how any of this is supposed to work.

I think I just really dislike Chuck Todd.

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Ulty said:

I thought Kamala Harris was by far the most impressive last night.

It was my first real experience in watching her and I came away thinking "She probably could handle Trump".

I had never heard of Buttigieg before but color me impressed. I doubt he will create a big enough following to get a chance at the nomination but he is easily my favorite.

I missed night 1 of the debate and went back to watch a bit, so dont have a ton of opinions there, but interesting to see how this shakes out moving forward. 

It seemed liked Biden was disinterested and not prepared. He will be fine eventually but he seemed a bit out of it and didnt seem to have much fight in him. 

Bernie is Bernie. He is so out there that he will keep his strong following but he is just a bit too outrageous to get the nomination.

I honestly think if Kamala can keep this going, she can easily have an Obama type run get make it interesting with Biden for the nomination. 

16 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

It was my first real experience in watching her and I came away thinking "She probably could handle Trump".

I had never heard of Buttigieg before but color me impressed. I doubt he will create a big enough following to get a chance at the nomination but he is easily my favorite.

I missed night 1 of the debate and went back to watch a bit, so dont have a ton of opinions there, but interesting to see how this shakes out moving forward. 

It seemed liked Biden was disinterested and not prepared. He will be fine eventually but he seemed a bit out of it and didnt seem to have much fight in him. 

Bernie is Bernie. He is so out there that he will keep his strong following but he is just a bit too outrageous to get the nomination.

I honestly think if Kamala can keep this going, she can easily have an Obama type run get make it interesting with Biden for the nomination. 

Agreed on Buttigieg. If I didn’t know any of the candidates before the debate, I would think he was the favorite. 

I really hope someone young wins the nomination. 

42 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I was really annoyed at Chuck Todd's stupid "Here's a super complex question, answer it in one or two words, please" schtick.

Like, that's not how any of this is supposed to work.

I think I just really dislike Chuck Todd.

Chuck Todd was definitely the worst part of the debates. Not the right person at all to manage this kind of situation.

The above sort of struck me as a straw man, unless he's responding directly to something that was said? I missed this part of the debate.

I don't think most Christian Republicans (or even Republicans) think God would 'smile on the division of families at the hands of federal agents.' I mean, there's certainly a level of hypocrisy associated with how some Christian Republicans view the horrible things happening along the border. Out of sight, out of mind. 'That's what they get for breaking the law.' Those kinds of things. So, I guess I see the point he's trying to make, but the execution of it here felt a bit uncouth.

But, again, maybe I missed something said by some Republican recently or maybe it was related to something in the debate.

22 minutes ago, Enhance said:

The above sort of struck me as a straw man, unless he's responding directly to something that was said? I missed this part of the debate.

I don't think most Christian Republicans (or even Republicans) think God would 'smile on the division of families at the hands of federal agents.' I mean, there's certainly a level of hypocrisy associated with how some Christian Republicans view the horrible things happening along the border. Out of sight, out of mind. 'That's what they get for breaking the law.' Those kinds of things. So, I guess I see the point he's trying to make, but the execution of it here felt a bit uncouth.

But, again, maybe I missed something said by some Republican recently or maybe it was related to something in the debate.

The Republican party postures itself as the Christian party. Republican voters posture themselves as the Christian moral fiber of America. Those voters support and elect the leaders who enact these policies. If God would not approve of these actions, then all those people involved are acting outside of God's will and contrary to God's nature and thus have no claim to speak for or be on the side of God. 

Is there something in that line of logic you disagree with?

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Agreed on Buttigieg. If I didn’t know any of the candidates before the debate, I would think he was the favorite. 

I really hope someone young wins the nomination. 

He had a calm, effective communication style. He didnt get into the theatrics but yet he still seemed to control his air time.

Only one issue was when Swalwell told him to fire the police chief and he just basically glared at Swalwell. 

3 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

He had a calm, effective communication style. He didnt get into the theatrics but yet he still seemed to control his air time.

Only one issue was when Swalwell told him to fire the police chief and he just basically glared at Swalwell. 

Swalwell was a bit of a jackass.

Kamala Harris already walking back rasing her hand to get rid of private insurance companies. She said she misheard the question. Right... She already did this once when she had a CNN town hall and then the next day walked it back a few months back. Shes trying to pander to the progressives and centrists at the same time. You cant do both. Make up your mind a stick to it. Shes already shown me shes not trustworthy.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

Kamala Harris already walking back rasing her hand to get rid of private insurance companies. She said she misheard the question. Right... She already did this once when she had a CNN town hall and then the next day walked it back a few months back. Shes trying to pander to the progressives and centrists at the same time. You cant do both. Make up your mind a stick to it. Shes already shown me shes not trustworthy.

less trustworthy than trump?