Would you like to see Texas & OU in the B1G West?

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

They would be brought in for Basketball.  Gotta remember, football isn't the only major sport to consider.

Yep, and I will never understand Nebraska fans who want Nebraska to be part of the elite teams in the country again, but don't recognize that schedule plays a role.  In the Big 8 it was Oklahoma, one of Colorado, Missouri, Oklahoma State would rise up from time to time and a whole bunch of tomato cans.  They want to add Texas and Oklahoma to the division already playing Wisconsin every year and one of Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State is on the schedule, and many times two.  I just think if people expect Coach Frost to elevate the program to Devaney, Osborne heights again, adding Kansas to pair with Texas or Oklahoma makes a hell of a lot more sense.   Plus I like another school that would be an easy day game drive for fans.

28 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Yep, and I will never understand Nebraska fans who want Nebraska to be part of the elite teams in the country again, but don't recognize that schedule plays a role.  In the Big 8 it was Oklahoma, one of Colorado, Missouri, Oklahoma State would rise up from time to time and a whole bunch of tomato cans.  They want to add Texas and Oklahoma to the division already playing Wisconsin every year and one of Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State is on the schedule, and many times two.  I just think if people expect Coach Frost to elevate the program to Devaney, Osborne heights again, adding Kansas to pair with Texas or Oklahoma makes a hell of a lot more sense.   Plus I like another school that would be an easy day game drive for fans.

When and if conference go to 16 or more teams you won't see crossover games or at least less. Back in the days you are discussing most conference were only 2/3 team's deep. Limiting schollies and more tv have made average teams better.

5 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

In the Big 8 it was Oklahoma, one of Colorado, Missouri, Oklahoma State would rise up from time to time and a whole bunch of tomato cans. 

When a division has eight teams, does winning your division mean as much as winning a conference title in an eight team conference?

• Plus1 3

On 10/14/2020 at 1:09 PM, GBRFAN said:

When and if conference go to 16 or more teams you won't see crossover games or at least less. Back in the days you are discussing most conference were only 2/3 team's deep. Limiting schollies and more tv have made average teams better.

If the conference uses 4-team pods and rotates them on a 9 game schedule, teams would play each other more often than they do now.  Everyone would meet every 2 years, home and home every 4 years. 

Edited by nic
wrong number
  • Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, nic said:

If the conference uses 4-team pods and rotates them on a 10 game schedule, teams would play each other more often than they do now.  Everyone would meet every 2 years, home and home every 4 years. 

Interesting thought - why wouldn't you just stick with 2 divisions to make a championship game more straight forward.  if you had pods would you just take the best 2 teams out of the 4 pods and let them play for the championship (with a chance that both teams come from same pod)  

Or are you saying that 2 pods would be in each division and you would play everybody in your division pod yearly and then rotate the other two pods on a 2 year basis.  The math seams like that would have to be 11 game schedule.

14 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Interesting thought - why wouldn't you just stick with 2 divisions to make a championship game more straight forward.  if you had pods would you just take the best 2 teams out of the 4 pods and let them play for the championship (with a chance that both teams come from same pod)  

Or are you saying that 2 pods would be in each division and you would play everybody in your division pod yearly and then rotate the other two pods on a 2 year basis.  The math seams like that would have to be 11 game schedule.

3 games in your pod (Iowa,OU,Kansas) every year.

4 games against pod B

2 games against 2 teams from pod C 

sorry my math was wrong....a 9 game conference schedule. :facepalm:

in year 2, pod D replaces B and you play the other two teams from C.

The division” alternates every year.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What do you not understand?

Oh I understand. Their football doesn't move the needle for anyone.   KU is a great addition to basketball, but they are an automatic easy win for most anyone.  So if that's what people want, by all means have at it.  As for me, I will pass. 

And clearly ISU and KSU are competitive in both sports. 

23 hours ago, admo said:

Oh I understand. Their football doesn't move the needle for anyone.   KU is a great addition to basketball, but they are an automatic easy win for most anyone.  So if that's what people want, by all means have at it.  As for me, I will pass. 

And clearly ISU and KSU are competitive in both sports. 

If past criteria is still valid, KSU would not make the cut. AAU membership was required. I think KU, ISU and Texas all have that. My guess is that OU would get an exception for football and the academic heads will cringe.  I doubt KSU gets the nod over KU.