Would you like to see Texas & OU in the B1G West?

10 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

I am assuming that this is a failed attempt at humor...right? I would rather go back to the Big12 than have Texas and Oklahoma join the Big ten. We can barely compete in the BIG west as it is, you want to add Texas and Oklahoma to the mix...that is a brilliant idea...

Nope. It was a valid concern, and may be again post-COVID, because the Big XII is moribund--they're not adding anyone or extending the GOR  (because it takes a supermajority to do so, and Texass, OU, and Kansas won't because the GOR is up in 2021/2022).  

The B1G already did homework on Texass, Oklahoma, and Kansas--remember, there was a five team Big XII to B1G deal that A&M scuttled due to their greed, so while there may need to be some updates, the preliminary work has already been done. 

Texass can't realistically go anywhere unless they buy off the Texas government (this is referred to as the "Tech" problem Ohio State made light of via emails during the last bout of realignment). Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M alums, among others, won't let Texass go to another conference because it will leave the remaining schools (save for A&M) in the lurch. 

Oklahoma was already part of the aforementioned five team deal, so we know the B1G is (was, at least) good with them joining. The Oklahoma fans want the SEC (because they're morons) but the folks that are wanting to raise Oklahoma's academic cache have kept a keen eye on what has happened in Lincoln--we're no Harvard, but we've improved considerably since joining the B1G. 

Kansas was also part of the original five team deal, so we know the B1G is down with the Jayhawks as well. And while certain myopic folks want to slag Kansas for football, they forget that 1) Kansas has been to a BCS game more recent than we have, and 2) their Basketball program drives more revenue and eyeballs than many football programs do because of their current and past success. 

Smart money is on Kansas and Oklahoma, whenever we get back to expansion talk. And frankly, I wouldn't be shocked if we see something after this season, especially considering how the Big XII is out of the running for anything of relevance already.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

22 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Smart money is on Kansas and Oklahoma, whenever we get back to expansion talk. And frankly, I wouldn't be shocked if we see something after this season, especially considering how the Big XII is out of the running for anything of relevance already.

I agree with this.  Kansas BB would be great for the B1G - which already has great BB.  OU to the west division  I think would drive some passion back into our program in regards to competitiveness.  We don't get excited about Iowa, even though they have had our # the past few years, and we'd like to be Wisc's rival  but we haven't lived up to the idea.  While we haven't been very competitive in the West in recent years, we should shy away from the challenge.  

Regarding Texas - I have a friend from the Houston area, big Texas fan and a friend of some insiders or so he claims.  He claims that Urban Meyer is just waiting for texas to let go of Herman for not performing as expected - considering the financial and and recruiting advantages texas has.  He claims Urb wants the texas job and insiders want Urb as their coach.   Perhaps it is all speculation. 

However, I'd prefer not to have texas anywhere near the big 10 - not for competition reason but because of their corrupting nature.

• Plus1 1

I would rather see us become relevant in the West before we added more road blocks.  Two more losses a year is not something this program can stand.  We have one chance at getting back to meaning football and that is Coach Frost.  If he doesn't make it,  we will never be competitive in the West let alone the conference as it stands today.  Wishing and a hoping is not the answer. 

• Haha 1

Don't think how heavy handed the BIG has been during the Covid outbreak was lost on any school looking to join the BIG.  I think the idea Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas wanting to join and surrendering their right to decide anything on their own campuses severely hinders the BIG ability to recruit any new schools of note--even with a BIG pay day.  The door is shut now for good on Notre Dame.  ACC was accommodating and the precedent was set.  Big 12, ACC and SEC are reasonable during this outbreak and the PAC12 and particularly the BIG were reactionary, stubborn and dictatorial.  The Western spirit that Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas evolved under doesn't lend itself to being dictated to from a far. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, Herbie95 said:

Don't think how heavy handed the BIG has been during the Covid outbreak was lost on any school looking to join the BIG.  I think the idea Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas wanting to join and surrendering their right to decide anything on their own campuses severely hinders the BIG ability to recruit any new schools of note--even with a BIG pay day.  The door is shut now for good on Notre Dame.  ACC was accommodating and the precedence was set.  Big 12, ACC and SEC are reasonable during this outbreak and the PAC12 and particularly the BIG were reactionary, stubborn and dictatorial.  The Western spirit that Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas evolved under doesn't lend itself to being dictated to from a far. 

I think that is a very valid point.  However, it's not like pandemics come around too often and the B1G listened to it's members in the end.  I think college football is either headed towards an expanded playoff or 4 super conferences.  4 super conferences make a lot more sense to many as it results in a very clean playoff picture- the 4 conference champions play for the title.  Not sure which conference goas away but it won't be the B1G or the SEC if that happens.  The Big 12 seems the most fragile at the moment to me. 

23 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I think that is a very valid point.  However, it's not like pandemics come around too often and the B1G listened to it's members in the end.  I think college football is either headed towards an expanded playoff or 4 super conferences.  4 super conferences make a lot more sense to many as it results in a very clean playoff picture- the 4 conference champions play for the title.  Not sure which conference goas away but it won't be the B1G or the SEC if that happens.  The Big 12 seems the most fragile at the moment to me. 

I don't know if suing the conference to get clarity on its bylaws, and being told to do as we say or you won't be a member anymore equates to listening to its members.  To anyone who didn't already know

this pandemic clearly illustrates how the conference is run.  Instead of just providing a framework for scheduling and collective bargaining power for media rights it envisions itself as a some sort of mini-NFL where the league office dictates what happens and the teams do it.  Not how it works in College Football historically.  I really think the BIG is now a much harder sell to any legitimate team that has any choice where to go if the BIG 12 does indeed break up someday.  The conference has really harmed itself and its members collectively with how it has handled this situation. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1