B1G Loser Mentality

One thing about the B1G that bothers me is the "loser" mentality compared to other conferences. The conference puts itself in a disadvantage where it is harder to compete. For example what Michigan did in baseball is considered a miracle due to the conference self appointed recruiting restrictions. Also most other conferences over-sign but the B1G restricts that as well, more conference games, higher academic requirements, etc all put every school in the B1G at a disadvantage.

It seems the B1G thinks they are "too good" to do what everyone else is doing and makes it harder to compete. Even the big 10 network doesn't push for it's teams to get into the playoff when they have legitimate claim (PSU, WI, OSU have been passed by other teams with same losses by the committee and the B1G didn't put up much of a fight) like all the other networks do. It could be that the conference always wanted to go to the rose bowl as it's prime goal but I think the attitude needs to change if it wants to have long term success. 

The money is great for the schools but the self appointed restrictions will make winning championships even more difficult.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory.

I love all of those things you mentioned about the B1G. If those things put us at a disadvantage, so be it. 

You know TO used a lot of "partial qualifiers"  that were really good players on his best teams.

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory.

I love all of those things you mentioned about the B1G. If those things put us at a disadvantage, so be it. 

This is why the Ivy League is my favorite conference.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

If the only goal is to win championships at all costs, then the OP may have a point. I like to believe there are more important things; doing things the right way, educating and developing young people, financial stability. If all you want is the best team money and the lack of ethics can provide, well that's what professional sports is for.  The goal shouldn't be to lower our conference to what some others are doing but rather raise the bar and get more of them doing it better.

• Plus1 4

So are you guys saying that the big 10 does it right? Did TO and BD do it wrong since they had more players and looser requirements? I just fear the big 10 will have to have a lot of thing right and get lucky to have a champion again.

By handicapping ourselves we are essentially decreasing our odds of becoming relevant.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Salsa Red said:

So are you guys saying that the big 10 does it right? Did TO and BD do it wrong since they had more players and looser requirements? I just fear the big 10 will have to have a lot of thing right and get lucky to have a champion again.

By handicapping ourselves we are essentially decreasing our odds of becoming relevant.

What does TO and BD have anything to do with it? Their league rules were different. They didnt break any rules and the B1G is promoting higher emphasis on the student part of student-athlete. Since most college athletes don't go pro what the B1G does is a good thing and whether or not you like how TO used partial qualifiers, the league allowed him to so he took advantage of it to help make his team better. Nothing wrong with either

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

To the OP I think partially what your getting at is having universal rules across all conferences so everyone plays by the same rules. Whether we come down, everyone else comes up or meet in the middle I agree with. There should be an NCAA standard for all colleges that wish to compete for a national championship. All teams play 12 regular season games, 10 of those are P5 schools etc etc

the last 2 games can be G5 but no lower tiers of football 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Salsa Red said:

@Swiv3D already covered this pretty well but just in case.....

dribbble_apples_oranges.gif

• Thanks 2