B1G Loser Mentality

On 7/2/2019 at 9:02 AM, everybody knows my name said:

I'm with you, man.  Honor and integrity are for losers.  Nebraska to the SEC, where if a student athlete can read and write it's just icing on the championship cake!

I'm just saying the B1G needs to get on an even playing field. I look at it like Poker where you some teams have more chips and are more likely to win. By limiting oversigning you put yourself at a disadvantage. I'd be all for NU to the SEC, the SEC wants to win and doesn't hide it. The B1G is somehow too honorable to go the full extent the rules allow.

I don't think football is at as much of a disadvantage as baseball, anyone know why the baseball teams are severely limited in oversigning. Having teams from much smaller conferences have more baseball success shouldn't happen, but with the limits on over signing the conference can only hope for a lucky run every few decades like what we saw from MI this year.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Salsa Red said:

I'm just saying the B1G needs to get on an even playing field. I look at it like Poker where you some teams have more chips and are more likely to win. By limiting oversigning you put yourself at a disadvantage. I'd be all for NU to the SEC, the SEC wants to win and doesn't hide it. The B1G is somehow too honorable to go the full extent the rules allow.

I don't think football is at as much of a disadvantage as baseball, anyone know why the baseball teams are severely limited in oversigning. Having teams from much smaller conferences have more baseball success shouldn't happen, but with the limits on over signing the conference can only hope for a lucky run every few decades like what we saw from MI this year.

I'd say the weather/climate and region of the country has more to do with some smaller schools/conferences having more success, especially baseball, than some larger conferences. Do you have a list of examples supporting why you feel this oversigning issue is the magic bullet?  It just sort of feels like you have this strong belief about the way the SEC does things but don't have any data to back it up. Baseball does better in the south. Football recruiting generally does better due to location. I don't believe the way the conferences handle things has near as much to do with it as simple geographical location does.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I'd say the weather/climate and region of the country has more to do with some smaller schools/conferences having more success, especially baseball, than some larger conferences. Do you have a list of examples supporting why you feel this oversigning issue is the magic bullet?  It just sort of feels like you have this strong belief about the way the SEC does things but don't have any data to back it up. Baseball does better in the south. Football recruiting generally does better due to location. I don't believe the way the conferences handle things has near as much to do with it as simple geographical location does.

Not sure if you have the answer. But why in the last 20 years is the excuse for northern teams that the south is where everyone wants to be. I mean in the 70s, 80s and 90s we competed fine with all the southern teams. Texas, Alabama and all the Florida schools were all around so it’s not like it’s new competition for recruits.  So is it really geography or is it something else going on? 

46 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Not sure if you have the answer. But why in the last 20 years is the excuse for northern teams that the south is where everyone wants to be. I mean in the 70s, 80s and 90s we competed fine with all the southern teams. Texas, Alabama and all the Florida schools were all around so it’s not like it’s new competition for recruits.  So is it really geography or is it something else going on? 

I’m not saying that’s the answer. I’m merely saying that the southern location is more of a factor than conference rules.

As far as our 70’s through 90’s teams I’ve got quite a few reasons for that.

1- TO and BD were exceptional coaches and brilliant football minds. Plus our program had the right culture while they were at the helm.

2- We’ve been cursed with a string of terrible AD’s and mediocre or worse coaches since Frank was canned. How well do you think we would’ve competed with Callahan, Pelini and Riley no matter what else was going on in cfb? And our culture went in the toilet under their leadership.

3- The 90’s changed some memories of exactly how well we really competed with southern teams in the 70’s and 80’s and even the first few years of the 9O’s. If memory serves, we struggled mightily with the speed and skill of many southern teams, particularly Florida schools, before TO adjusted his approach and philosophy on the types of players we needed to compete.

4- It is a fact that the hottest recruiting beds are in SEC territory. When you’re not having success and you have bad coaches, how tough is it to pull those kids out of those areas and get them to Nebraska?

5- Don’t underestimate program culture and success breeding success.

Sure over signing and having more better players to choose from can’t hurt but I really don’t think it makes the top five on the list of reasons why we haven’t had more success since the 90’s or particularly in the B1G conference. We can and will compete once again regardless the slight differences between how the conferences handle these things.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

But why in the last 20 years is the excuse for northern teams that the south is where everyone wants to be. I mean in the 70s, 80s and 90s we competed fine with all the southern teams. Texas, Alabama and all the Florida schools were all around so it’s not like it’s new competition for recruits.  So is it really geography or is it something else going on? 

It's geography, but less to do with weather (although it is a factor because there are far more days for high schoolers to play football in warm states), and more to do with population shift. There are just way more players to pick from due to the population shift to the south/southeast part of the country. There are just a lot more people in those states now than there were 10, 20, 30 years ago, and more proportionally.

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Another major factor in getting kids to Nebraska in the 70s-90s in addition to what other posters mentioned,  is the fact that few teams were on TV regularly.  Nebraska was one of them and that was a huge selling point.  Now,  everyone is.

1 hour ago, Salsa Red said:

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2008/01/stricter_scholarship_rules_put.html

Here's an article about baseball that talks about the disadvantage B1G schools have. Talks about how depth is more difficult without oversigning

That's a good article on the subject. For sure over signing does offer an advantage to the teams that do it as opposed to those who don't. I guess my opinion is that I'd prefer to see teams stop doing it rather than adding more who do. I suppose at the end of the day everyone has to comply with NCAA rules so maybe it is more up to the B1G to allow it rather than hoping the SEC curtails it. It just doesn't seem like an ethical way to go about dealing with recruits. I've always hoped recruits would see what is happening and would begin to shy away from the schools that are notorious for it but it's pretty hard for kids who are on the bubble academically to avoid wanting to sign when given the chance.

16 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Read up on the population shift to southern states after the invention of air conditioning. 

It sounds goofy, but it’s an actual phenomena. 

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Read up on the population shift to southern states after the invention of air conditioning. 

It sounds goofy, but it’s an actual phenomena. 

Plus the shift from industrial work places which were in the north and east due to proximity to rivers and railroads to commercial/service companies which can be put anywhere. Like you said, the population shift has dramatically shifted to the south and west. The cities of Cleveland and Detroit are prime examples of cities which have shrunk, while areas like Phoenix and Dallas-Fort Worth have exploded with growth. 

• Plus1 1