A Martinez in a 1973-1981 Osborne offense, hypothetical.

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Osborne was running a pro-style offense in these years with little running of the QB. It wouldn’t have taken advantage of one of Martinez’s biggest skills. It would have been a waste. 

I disagree. QBs of the 70s don't have the completion rates that today's QBs do. Dave Humm was 54.8%, Vince Ferragamo was 57.5%, Martinez is head and shoulders above them with 64.6%. Martinez's int:attempt is a lot better too.

1 minute ago, OH HSKR FAN said:

You think so?

He doesnt need to go crazy like he did with Turner.

Maybe a few runs a game?   Then again what was a “bubble screen” in those days?

Turner Gill didn’t run a lot in Osborne’s offense but either, but he did a great job of feeding the FB and the I-back. The Gill’s best play in my opinion was the option pass where he reverse pivoted and hit the Wingback on the slant or deep pass. He was deadly on that play.

I don’t think we can compare offenses from 40+ years ago to today’s offenses. Yes, there are similar concepts, but it’s completely different. 

• Plus1 2

Just now, Gage County said:

I disagree. QBs of the 70s don't have the completion rates that today's QBs do. Dave Humm was 54.8%, Vince Ferragamo was 57.5%, Martinez is head and shoulders above them with 64.6%. Martinez's int:attempt is a lot better too.

But Martinez’s completion percentage is helped by short completions to wide open receivers who aren’t getting mugged by DB’s. Stop comparing stats to QB’s from 40 years ago. It’s a totally different game. 

• Plus1 3
32 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don’t think we can compare offenses from 40+ years ago to today’s offenses. Yes, there are similar concepts, but it’s completely different. 

There aren’t even that many similar concepts. Yes, a lot of the concepts used in today’s offenses existed back then, but not refined. They existed as some “gimmick” offense at backwater state.

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Osborne was running a pro-style offense in these years with little running of the QB. It wouldn’t have taken advantage of one of Martinez’s biggest skills. It would have been a waste. 

We pivoted into a much more run heavy offense starting in '77, and then into a more dual-threat option heavier version starting in '80, so some of that time Martinez would've been deadly in Osborne's scheme.