Linebacker Misses

It's forsure frustrating seeing the misses pile up, that is why the season has to be a good one. Winning cures all. It's a long way to NSD and I expect this staff will once again have a top 20 classes, but the frustrations are there as this was talked about as being a top 15 type class with the numbers and guys we were in on. I am thrilled with who we have gotten so far, but some of these misses are very telling that this staff needs to show what they are selling  come fall.

• Plus1 2

Seems like the one saving grace is the fact that we landed Heinrich and Hannah last year. We also have Nelson and Snodgrass who I think can develop into solid players. So, if we end up needing JUCO help or taking more developmental players this year I think we'll be ok. It'd be great if we could hit on a couple kids though. We are far enough away from Griffin at UCF that they can't rely on that as much so now we need to win big this year and have Barry drafted so we can sell that. I think not being able to get these kids out during the season is tough too as they can't see the atmosphere. We have a long time until December though so I wouldn't panic yet!

https://hailvarsity.com/s/7193/nebraska-recruiting-most-important-position-groups-for-2020-class

I have three position group candidates for us to think about as of today. First is linebacker. Nebraska will lose Mo Barry, Alex Davis and Tyrin Ferguson to graduation after the 2019 season. All three figure to see significant snaps in the coming year and while it will be important to develop the players behind them, it will also be key to land more difference-makers in this class. Cody Simon and Malik Reed are off the board, having committed this week. Blaise Gunnerson and Kaden Johnson remain uncommitted and are two of the top targets for Nebraska.  

I think what the Colorado coach said about recruits wanting to see wins is probably correct and also applies to us.  7-8 wins last year would have kept Frost's COY awards shiny and the program would appear to be rising.  Recruits might still believe in Frost and his staff but have doubts whether he can have success at Nebraska.  The 90's are in the far past and there are too many recent examples of us looking feeble while getting blown out in big games.   Not finding ways to lose games and looking competitive in every game will help change the perception and improve recruiting.  I suspect we are teetering on the edge between a rapid turnaround bolstered by an infusion of talent and a very long slow rebuild but I'm confident one WILL happen.  I really like the players committed for 2020.  We just need more of them.