Purdue Pause

It's the mistakes that bother me. We out gained Purdue, but we got in our way enough times that they built a lead and won the game. Colorado, Troy, Northwestern, Ohio State... I could go on. There were dumb plays in each that just KILLED us. Even in the last game, against the Hawks, Nebraska had a complete blown coverage on the TE on 4th down. How does that guy get so wide open? We let him run to a spot and then turn and catch the ball beyond the sticks. No bump coverage, no coverage underneath. Zip. Nothing.

Those things were not forced on us. We shot ourselves in the foot.

So in response to would we have beaten Purdue in the tail end of the season. Maybe. But we still would have made a lot of mistakes, so I am not super confident.

Football is tough when you have expectations. It's tough in all sports to a certain degree. But you wait eight months to see your team. And then you find out they still aren't going to be any good. It just rips your heart right out.

8 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

247 has Pirdue at #5 in the B1G at QB.

The verdict: David Blough is gone after almost 10,000 career passing yards and 69 touchdowns but the offense is not expected to slow down in Jeff Brohm’s third season. Rondale Moore is one of the nation's most dangerous playmakers and Sindelar gets a chance to build off his 2017 season where he had 18 touchdowns compared to seven picks (and started eight games). With two years of eligibility remaining after gaining an extra season following a knee injury, Sindelar has a chance to leave a lasting mark on a program that's made noteworthy strides and has an upward trajectory under Brohm.

It's a poor year for Big Ten QBs when David Blough's backup is #5.

3 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

It's the mistakes that bother me. We out gained Purdue, but we got in our way enough times that they built a lead and won the game. Colorado, Troy, Northwestern, Ohio State... I could go on. There were dumb plays in each that just KILLED us. Even in the last game, against the Hawks, Nebraska had a complete blown coverage on the TE on 4th down. How does that guy get so wide open? We let him run to a spot and then turn and catch the ball beyond the sticks. No bump coverage, no coverage underneath. Zip. Nothing.

Those things were not forced on us. We shot ourselves in the foot.

So in response to would we have beaten Purdue in the tail end of the season. Maybe. But we still would have made a lot of mistakes, so I am not super confident.

Football is tough when you have expectations. It's tough in all sports to a certain degree. But you wait eight months to see your team. And then you find out they still aren't going to be any good. It just rips your heart right out.

Here’s what I said to someone ... we are back to beating ourselves rather than being beaten by other teams, as we’ve had the past few years.  It’s a swing in the right direction - knowing they’re capable of winning will eventually translate into the ACTUAL winning.

• Plus1 1

Adrian Martinez is a great QB. And if he gets better. And if we can get the WRs to step up. And if we get improved line play. And if we find an RB to lean upon. And if the defense steps forward and if. and if. and if. 

All of the ifs alone sound like, "Hey, we can do that." Add them up and they sound bad. Of course that's not how odds work. If you buy a lottery ticket 100 times, the odds of getting the winning number is the same each time. Similarly, the Huskers might have 10 problems each with a decent likelyhood of being solved. All of the likely outcomes don't add up to an unlikely outcome. Right? Tell me I am right. Please..... LOL

44 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

Adrian Martinez is a great QB. And if he gets better. And if we can get the WRs to step up. And if we get improved line play. And if we find an RB to lean upon. And if the defense steps forward and if. and if. and if. 

All of the ifs alone sound like, "Hey, we can do that." Add them up and they sound bad. Of course that's not how odds work. If you buy a lottery ticket 100 times, the odds of getting the winning number is the same each time. Similarly, the Huskers might have 10 problems each with a decent likelyhood of being solved. All of the likely outcomes don't add up to an unlikely outcome. Right? Tell me I am right. Please..... LOL

There there - it’s gonna be ok.  :)  just enjoy the process.

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

It's a poor year for Big Ten QBs when David Blough's backup is #5.

Sindelar has a track record of being above average or so, but the dude's article has to be taken will some salt...maybe a lot. 

Lewerke, Johnson, and Annexstad should all be ahead of him and Wisconsin just brought in Mertz which was enough for Hornibrook to leave. Dude's list is a little whacked. 

2 hours ago, tmfr15 said:

To be fair, your ‘ands’ are additive, so call each “if” a 75% yes it will happen. 7 “ifs.” (Line x 2)

Odds of them all happening are 13%. 

I think the WR and lines are the keys.

And yes, I’m damn fun at parties!