Best Husker Team to Not Win a National Title Tournament

We have 8 weeks left until the first game. 8 weeks of offseason topics left. I'd like to go out with a big one, and see who HB thinks is the Best Husker Team to Not Win a National Title. Now, I know a lot of us might think there is one fairly obvious answer to this question, but we've got 8 weeks left to fill with offseason content, and I'd like to try and stave off the Alternate Uniform/Tunnel Walk/Oh **** Someone Else Got In Trouble topics as much as possible, so I'm asking for nominations for an 8 teams tournament. I'll take the 8 teams that get the most nominations, throw them in a bracket, and have weeklong votes/discussions to see if we can come to a consensus as to which Husker Team is the Best to Not Win a National Title. So, ITT, give me  5 teams that you think would qualify for our mythical tournament. I'll use stats and rankings to seed them, and we'll start the voting in a week. 

TL;DR: give me 5 teams you think are the best to not win a Natty at Nebraska. I'll throw them in a tournament and we'll vote over the next weeks to find the best because no one really likes talking about alternate uniforms and the Tunnel Walk. 

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

I'll throw out some obvious ones: 

I can't improve upon or add to this list. It seems futile to try to include any others.  96 & 99 are a bit iffy but 82, 83 & 93 are solid. The tournament voting will have to have them top 3.

Prediction

#1- 83

#2- 82

#3- 93

Fun thread idea. Mine are basically the same as everyone else

1982 - Friggin Penn St. and those garbage calls. 

1983 - If Rozier stays in the game, I think we win a close one.

1993 - I hate to use refs as an excuse, but wasn’t there some funny business going on? I wanna say I heard somewhere that crew was investigated and not allowed to ref a game together again. If only Byron made that kick.

1996 - If I recall correctly, wasn’t there a flu bug going around during the Big XII title game? I think even with the loss to ASU, had they beat UT, they could’ve snuck in. 

2009 - If only this team had any kind of offensive threat. They’d have been dangerous.

2010 - If T-Mart avoids the injury during the Mizzou game, I think this team makes a run. D wasn’t as good as 2009, but was still very solid. 

• Plus1 2

1984 - #1 Defense that had a couple clunkers on O.  Would have had a chance against anyone on the right day.

1982 - Not so happy valley. Dominant O.

1983 - Going for the win. Dominant O.

1999 - Another salty D.

1993 - Just a bit outside.  Solid on both sides,  but not world beaters on either.

19 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I'll throw out some obvious ones: 

I can't improve on this list. IMO, 1999 was the worst. That was a great team, and the MNC was fumbled away against Texas. The Huskers out gained Texas by 429-275, and a horrible pitch by Crouch cost us the winning TD (one of 3 lost). It would have been nice to get some revenge against the Seminoles. I also wonder what the effect would have been on Frankie.