Best Husker Team to Not Win a National Title Tournament

On 7/8/2019 at 10:55 PM, Redux said:

2009 hands down.  It's insane to think just how good that defense was and how bad the offense was at times.  Games against Va Tech and Iowa State should have been wins.  The title game.....the damn title game, the greatest performance by a nose tackle in the history of the game.  Even with a SHRED more on offense that team goes 11-1, wins the title game and probably  beats Alabama .

On 7/9/2019 at 10:46 AM, BigRedBuster said:

You're thinking the only game we lose is to Texas Tech?  That game was a real outlier for the defense.  The offense didn't help them though.

From the write up on Husker Max.

That, plus 12 penalties and an interception.  :facepalm:

That Texas Tech game was bizarre for another reason - just about every prayer their QB threw, their WRs caught. Circus catch after circus catch. Falling out of bounds, tight coverage, didn't matter.

That's also the year they had that crazy huge dude on their offensive line, their version of Richie Incognito, and he was just good enough to slow Suh down just enough to give their QB time to get rid of the ball.

Just about everything that could go right for TT that day did. Play that game ten times, I bet Nebraska wins 6-7 of them. They were not better than us.

• Plus1 1

22 hours ago, TGHusker said:

1999=  Great D but we fumbled going across the goal line.  I think we beat FSU or VTech without issue if we had a chance to play them.  We go on and beat (dominate) another well respected Tenn team in the bowl game.

82,83,93,99 are obvious.    Of those teams I think 82 was the most well rounded team,  83 the most exciting to watch & 93 had the most heart. 

I'll throw out a dark horse.  1978 - We finally get the OU monkey off our back and then we in the emotional let down, get surprised by MO.  If we had beaten Mo, OU wouldn't  have gotten another crack at us in the Orange Bowl - which shouldn't have happened.  We end up losing 2 games but we may have been playing for it all without that emotional let down against MO.  That year Bama won the AP MNC and USC won the coach's MNC.    So NU would have had a real shot at it. 

This is mostly picking nits because #offszn and I agree that NU gets past VT who outside of Vick was pretty good but I don't think they were nearly as deep as NU.

Now, I'm not sure NU gets past FSU in '99 and if they did it would be an absolute barn burner.  That FSU team was ridiculously loaded with Weinke spinning it at QB and they were a nightmare at WR with Peter Warrick (top 5 what if injury for me), Ron Duggans and they had guys like Coles, Boldin and Snoop Minnis (who were all NFL guys) too.  Would've been an all-timer matchup to see Brown/Brown/Craver square off against those dudes.  Shoot, I would've paid just to see Raiola and Corey Simon squaring off!  Damn, that would've been an awesome game!

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Just about everything that could go right for TT that day did. Play that game ten times, I bet Nebraska wins 6-7 of them. They were not better than us.

Agreed, but even with a tick better offense 2009 wouldn't go unscathed.  ISU and Va Tech were easily wins, so I have to go with the anomlie game.  Like said, they just kept catching lucky break after lucky break after insane break.  For whatever reason, we couldn't win that game that day.  It should have been much much closer regardless.

So, one more day for suggestions, and so far, we have 7 consensus teams picked (teams in seed order): 

#1: 1983

#2: 1993

#3: 1982

#4: 1999

#5: 1996

#6: 2009

#7: 1984

After those 7, there is an 9 way tie between 2010, 2000, 1913, 1915, 1980, 1981, 1965 and 1978. If no consensus is reached between these last 9, I'll pick the last team based on end-of-season poll rankings. 

• Plus1 1

1986, 1987, 1988, and 1989 Husker teams played dominant ball most of the year, then fell to faster Florida teams in their bowl game. 11-2 or 10-2 and usually a Top 10 ranking. 

I think you could rank any one of them ahead of 2009 and 2010, maybe even 1980 and 1981.

But the best solution is to stop the list at #5. Those are pretty solid. 

• Plus1 1

On 7/6/2019 at 2:01 PM, JJ Husker said:

I can't improve upon or add to this list. It seems futile to try to include any others.  96 & 99 are a bit iffy but 82, 83 & 93 are solid. The tournament voting will have to have them top 3.

Prediction

#1- 83

#2- 82

#3- 93

That is almost where I would be:  

#1 - 83

#2 - 93

#3 - 82

46 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

1986, 1987, 1988, and 1989 Husker teams played dominant ball most of the year, then fell to faster Florida teams in their bowl game. 11-2 or 10-2 and usually a Top 10 ranking. 

I think you could rank any one of them ahead of 2009 and 2010, maybe even 1980 and 1981.

But the best solution is to stop the list at #5. Those are pretty solid. 

5 is hard to do a tournament with, though. 

It’s hard to argue against 93 or 82. For all intensive purposes they were national champs if you take away refs costing them the game. If instant replay existed we claim 7 not 5 titles. 

Also in 83 if you had overtime in that day we probably win that game to claim 8. But that’s debatable. 93 and 82 we straight up got robbed 

On 7/12/2019 at 1:56 PM, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I just figure you have to add a team that only had one loss and it was in a game played for the NC against the team that was named NC

On 7/12/2019 at 12:52 PM, Pedro G said:

That was by far Devaney’s best team before 1970 and 1971. They just couldn’t handle that smaller and faster Alabama team of Bear Bryant. 

I'm counting this as a vote for '65, effectively breaking the 9 way tie. 

On 7/12/2019 at 10:26 AM, Cdog923 said:

So, one more day for suggestions, and so far, we have 7 consensus teams picked (teams in seed order): 

#1: 1983

#2: 1993

#3: 1982

#4: 1999

#5: 1996

#6: 2009

#7: 1984

After those 7, there is an 9 way tie between 2010, 2000, 1913, 1915, 1980, 1981, 1965 and 1978. If no consensus is reached between these last 9, I'll pick the last team based on end-of-season poll rankings. 

Hard to pick between 81 and 78.  81 made it to the championship game after a slow start while teh 78 team was destined for championship and then let down at the very end.  I think a team that beats OU for the 1st time under Tom deserves some love in this case