** 2019 Opponent Previews : Colorado (Game 2) **

5 minutes ago, brophog said:

That miss to Robinson in the end zone was very unusual for him. Not a good strategy to assume he misses those.

I was annoyed with that offensive series near the end of the half.  It was like they were trying to force the ball to Wandale the entire series, after he had sat a couple series.  I know Wandale has great speed, but I don't know if he's the best target in limited space, down the field in the red zone.  He's just not a big enough of a target.  I think AM tried to pass it to him 3 straight times, and one could have been intercepted.

Wandale can be used in other areas in the red zone by swinging the ball out to him in the flat and trying to get past people with his speed and quickness.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I was annoyed with that offensive series near the end of the half.  It was like they were trying to force the ball to Wandale the entire series, after he had sat a couple series.  I know Wandale has great speed, but I don't know if he's the best target in limited space, down the field in the red zone.  He's just not a big enough of a target.  I think AM tried to pass it to him 3 straight times, and one could have been intercepted.

Wandale can be used in other areas in the red zone by swinging the ball out to him in the flat and trying to get past people with his speed and quickness.

I agree.  Especially in his very first game as a true Freshman.  I think he will be very different a year or two from now in that situation.

But....2AM totally missed him.

• Plus1 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  Especially in his very first game as a true Freshman.  I think he will be very different a year or two from now in that situation.

Yeah, he did.  If they are going to continue that route with Wandale, Martinez will need to learn how to drop the ball into Wandale.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Definitely agree, and I think a lot of Martinez's problems last week were similar. The pick he did throw he was staring down Washington all the way, similar to his pick in the Iowa game. Maybe trusts the play design a little too much and just assumes the primary read will work when it's theoretically a mismatch in our favor.

27 minutes ago, brophog said:

That miss to Robinson in the end zone was very unusual for him. Not a good strategy to assume he misses those.

Do you think Wandale and Martinez were not on the same page on that play or playcall? They both react in an "oh crap" manner and it almost looks like AM was throwing the ball as if Wandale would continue straight and instead he cut in. Maybe a missed read by one of them.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I highly doubt NU will be able to create a bunch of turnovers against CU, but I also doubt CU will play as flawlessly as they did last week.  I think NU should be able to "create mistakes" by more team speed and aggressiveness than CSU.

Colorado also gave up more than 500 yards on defense and only forced CSU to punt once. Turnovers may have been the only thing saving Colorado from giving up a lot more points.

• Plus1 3
19 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I really disagree strongly. Shoulda had Noa and JD when they were wide open but pressure got to Adrian both times. On the 3rd down throw to Robinson they’re in a single high safety with off coverage vs Trips with the LB on the 3rd receiver. Press the seams, force the Safety to help inside and hit the open man. That play is everything we are looking for but was just poorly thrown.

• Plus1 3

5 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Colorado also gave up more than 500 yards on defense and only forced CSU to punt once. Turnovers may have been the only thing saving Colorado from giving up a lot more points.

Having watched 3/4 of the game, I 100% agree with you.  CSU stopped themselves on offense.

My point was more about CSU's defense being unable to force mistakes by CU's offense, which I think can be done.

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Forcing AM to pass is not a "weakness" at all. The dude completes 60% plus of his passes when playing well (with last week being an outlier).

I hope that CU decides to commit a defensive player to spy Martinez. If they do it will only give the offense even more number advantages and I bet Frost and Martinez scorch their D. Not to mention how easy it'll be to get their D to bite on fakes if their eyes are in the backfield.

I hope they spy him too. Based on last weeks performance that would essentially be a waste of a position. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Having watched 3/4 of the game, I 100% agree with you.  CSU stopped themselves on offense.

My point was more about CSU's defense being unable to force mistakes by CU's offense, which I think can be done.

Agreed. Things also get a little more nerve racking when the game is close for four quarters versus getting 14 off turnovers early.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Do you think Wandale and Martinez were not on the same page on that play or playcall? They both react in an "oh crap" manner and it almost looks like AM was throwing the ball as if Wandale would continue straight and instead he cut in. Maybe a missed read by one of them.

All day they were rushing that LB, forcing that Safety to sit over the top to help. Notice the curl by Noa, the number 1 receiver to the outside. That’s to force that defender away from potentially providing help. Robinson is just attacking the seam vs a Cover 3. It was a well called and well executed play with a poor throw.

• Plus1 1