Rhonda Revelle suspended pending review

As the World-Herald notes, the program has been struggling the past few years:

Nebraska’s combined record the past three seasons is 76-83 (.478), including sub-.500 seasons in 2017 (24-29) and 2019 (21-31). Even the 2018 season, in which the Huskers finished 31-23, was a turbulent campaign as Nebraska lost nine of its final 10 games, virtually eliminating the team from postseason consideration.

The Huskers also have lost their past four Big Ten tournament games dating to a 2016 second-round setback to Penn State. The Nittany Lions also ended Nebraska’s season in the first round in 2017, as did Michigan State in 2018 and Illinois in 2019.

This year’s team was Revelle’s second to finish with more than 30 losses. The Huskers had a 9-14 record in Big Ten games. 

While this is unlikely to be THE reason (I'm guessing it has more to do with behavior than performance) it sure doesn't help a coach when complaints are made.

I am not at all surprised by this. Knew a girl, who was a starter and all big ten, on the team just a few years back and Revelle made her HATE softball. She would text at all hours of the night just berating players. This girl said one night Revelle was not happy with her play and she texted her non stop throughout an entire night and she was not able to sleep as you were expected to respond promptly. From everything I have personally been told she is a psycho. 

8 minutes ago, SUHperman said:

I am not at all surprised by this. Knew a girl, who was a starter and all big ten, on the team just a few years back and Revelle made her HATE softball. She would text at all hours of the night just berating players. This girl said one night Revelle was not happy with her play and she texted her non stop throughout an entire night and she was not able to sleep as you were expected to respond promptly. From everything I have personally been told she is a psycho. 

The question is, is this an example of Revelle being psycho or of the play being overly sensitive? Hard to say from outside. I'm sure you have no reason to doubt your friend, but others have a different take on Revelle:

Other coaches:

Stanford

Michigan State

Current/Former players:

Just now, knapplc said:

The question is, is this an example of Revelle being psycho or of the play being overly sensitive? Hard to say from outside. I'm sure you have no reason to doubt your friend, but others have a different take on Revelle:

Other coaches:

Stanford

Michigan State

Current/Former players:

I totally agree many people today are soft and don’t know how to take coaching.  However, everything I have heard she takes it too far. We actually just heard from my friends dad and these were his thoughts. Btw he was a select coach for almost a decade and his daughter played for Nebraska for 4 years so I trust his insight. 

“She is mentally abusive. Great person in general and in the off-season. Once the season starts she turns into somebody else. When she loses games she is relentlessly abusive. She had a tough year and when she lost to Creighton badly she was not pleasant to be around. Many with that say kids are soft today and I agree with that but this kind of stuff was way beyond.” 

If consecutive graduating classes have complained I’m guessing something is going on and it’s not all just the kids being soft. 

• Fire 1

As much as it pains me to this as someone who agrees that kids are softer now than it used to be you just can't coach kids the same way as was done in the 80s/90s/00s.  The only exceptions I can think of are the absolute elite level coaches who are also of the older school like Izzo and Saban who can back up their hard coaching with buckets of accolades.  You also need to take the sport into the context, I think you can coach kids harder in sports like football, wrestling (especially) and basketball because there is a more physical element to those sports and generally, 'tougher' kids are going to thrive.  I thought about including all individual sports in there but I've seen far too many golfers and tennis players just mentally melt down.  Unfortunately for Revelle, she's 6 years removed from a Super Regional appearance and 7 years removed from a WCWS appearance and the team has been mostly .500 or worse since then.  I also think there is probably an element of sometimes your message just starts to go stale.  I don't know off the top of my head, but I think Revelle has been there since at least the early 2000s right?  That's a long, long time.

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's hard to say since none of us have seen the texts that are (apparently) the issue, or heard the verbiage that is (apparently) the issue.

I know Yori's former players came out in support of her just like Revelle's are, and Yori still left.

Agreed and I obviously have no proof of it. I was told this story at least a couple of years ago before this news even broke. If they have received numerous complaints year after year at a minimum Revelle needs to make some sort of change if she is retained. 

20 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

you just can't coach kids the same way as was done in the 80s/90s/00s. 

So true! Back in the 80s and 90s a coach couldn't text their players at all hours of the night and expect a prompt response, they had to save their berating for when the player was actually at practice or on the field!

2 hours ago, SUHperman said:

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

The question is, is this an example of Revelle being psycho or of the play being overly sensitive?

I've known a couple players on the team and they would support what @SUHperman is saying.  One of the dad's is a good friend of mine.  He played college sports and is NOT a parent that typically complains about the coach.  He has flat out said she's a psycho.  

I'm not surprised at this one bit.