Rhonda Revelle suspended pending review

I also know several former players (all Big Ten, now pro players, have moved on to coaching) who say they owe their careers to her. 

I’m not trying to discount posts above me saying the opposite. But I think it’s unfair to act as if your thoughts are fact because you know someone. I do as well. I don’t know Coach Revelle, though. You don’t, either. So why don’t we let it shake out? We can talk about it all day. But the caveat is we’re doing just that - it’s conjecture right now. 

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

If the stories above are true, then the issue might be exacerbated by the relative lack of success in the past few years. So those people whom were coached by her during the super regional/wcws experienced a different level of the “coaching” described. 

I agree with this.  Winning goes a long way to hiding other issues.  Like noted above with coaches like Saban.  Urbs is another one that comes to mind.  People pretty much don't give a damn about your demeanor and character if you're winning.

14 minutes ago, IHateBobCostas said:

I also know several former players (all Big Ten, now pro players, have moved on to coaching) who say they owe their careers to her. 

I’m not trying to discount posts above me saying the opposite. But I think it’s unfair to act as if your thoughts are fact because you know someone. I do as well. I don’t know Coach Revelle, though. You don’t, either. So why don’t we let it shake out? We can talk about it all day. But the caveat is we’re doing just that - it’s conjecture right now. 

I am.  I'm simply saying that, from what I know, this is not a surprise.  The AD will do whatever he needs to do.  I really don't care either way.

Yea this stuff happens. Many times girl athletes that I have known for some reason hate their coaches. Also, many have loved and adored their coaches as well. That may or may not be the case here, but a couple of players bad experiences aren't always true or can be misconstrued. However, I don't know what is going on so I will let it play out. Sometimes players can get frustrated and lay the blame elsewhere, I have seen it, and it could be a couple of players in this case. I have seen a couple of accusations against coaches before and they stayed because they were innocent and stuff like this was said but must have not been true. However, this may not be the case and Rovelle could totally be at fault. 

Anyway, she could absolutely be at fault here and I will stand behind whatever the administration wants to do. All I know is this should have nothing to do with the record and only to do with the mistreatment of players. 

I am going to let you all in on a secret.  

All you have heard is true.  Both sides.  There are players that hate her and think she is crazy and...wait for it...there are players that love her and owe her everything.  Just like with every single coach, teacher, parent, boss, mentor, friend, brother, sister and so on.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Maybe she's descended into worse behavior coinciding with the last few years of poor play? A lot of people become different people when things aren't going their way; it's easier to exhibit good character when you're winning. 

As far as testimony of other coaches, that couldn't matter any less imo. I don't see any reason why any of them would know her well enough to be able to say. 

26 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Maybe she's descended into worse behavior coinciding with the last few years of poor play? A lot of people become different people when things aren't going their way; it's easier to exhibit good character when you're winning. 

As far as testimony of other coaches, that couldn't matter any less imo. I don't see any reason why any of them would know her well enough to be able to say. 

Coaches will almost always stick up for each other...they are coaching...something that most people do for free or for about 5k a season...college coaches are making 6 figures minimum (for the most part) they are not likely to do anything but support each other...never know when you will need a new job!

• Plus1 1

34 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I'm guess your first sentence is part of it.  But it also wouldn't surprise me a bit if everyone was simply more accepting of it when things were going well.

And I definitely agree with your second paragraph.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Even if she was wonderful to 99% of her players 100% of the time, being abusive to 1% of them isn't okay.

Sure but that depends on the "abuse"

If she yells at a player "You are being a soft a$$ player, get your a$$ out there and hustle when you are running to first!!!!"

Is that abuse?

5 hours ago, teachercd said:

Sure but that depends on the "abuse"

If she yells at a player "You are being a soft a$$ player, get your a$$ out there and hustle when you are running to first!!!!"

Is that abuse?

Obviously it depends on whether it was actual abuse. And no that isn’t an example of it. Texting someone every 30 mins from 11pm to 7am might be if the player thinks they’ll get in trouble if they don’t respond. But if that was a one time thing it’s not enough to get fired for.

I had a softball coach when I was around 11 or 12 who yelled a lot but I thought it was ok. I had a coach who screamed at his daughter way worse than anyone else and it wasn't okay. Actually, one time he screamed at her for yelling at me. I also saw him screaming at her in her house once, in front of a bunch of her friends. Later on he disowned her for having a kid out of wedlock. Not sure if I have any point to any of that.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, teachercd said:

I am going to let you all in on a secret.  

All you have heard is true.  Both sides.  There are players that hate her and think she is crazy and...wait for it...there are players that love her and owe her everything.  Just like with every single coach, teacher, parent, boss, mentor, friend, brother, sister and so on.

I was going to say about the same thing. Coaches and teachers do not always treat everyone the same. It is not surprising some think she is great and others think she is a psycho. She is likely both persons but if the psycho stories turnout to be true, a like number of positive reviews won’t save her, especially when factoring in some mediocre team results. Her supporters can blame the climate of collegiate sports all they want but it doesn’t matter if you’re Riley nice or psycho Pelini if you aren’t performing at the desired level.