cheekygeek

A meaningless preseason poll has Nebraska at #7

I wouldn't be confident that Nebraska could beat half the 18 teams listed below them.

I don't have a Twitter account (anymore) but here's my top 10 list of teams I like:

1. Nebraska

2. Washington State

3. Oregon

4. UCF in 2017

19 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't have a Twitter account (anymore) but here's my top 10 list of teams I like:

1. Nebraska

2. Washington State

3. Oregon

4. UCF in 2017

Thats ridiculous. Nebraska has no business being ranked that highly. We’ve sucked for 20 years so of course that means we are going to suck forever no matter what culture or program changes or coaching improvements may be happening.

*according the some HB posters* :lol:

13 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

Then there's this one from an account with 2200+ tweets.

It's based off a 247 article as well. They didn't just think of that.

1 hour ago, hskrfan4life said:

It's based off a 247 article as well. They didn't just think of that.

I know I would be all for seeing a changing of the guard. Its gotten boring watching Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson dominate the country. Time for some new teams to take over. All of the top 3 of those teams have the coach. Nebraska and Michigan have the history on their side of being on top. Texas A&M not so much- but they are in Texas and have a great coach.

• Upvote 1

Yes, meaningless.  Nebraska is rapidly improving, but it would be remarkable if they finished this season as a top 25 team.

Reality check: your Huskers won four games last year.  And yeah, they improved at the end of the season, but so do most well-coached teams.  So did my Gophers.  The Huskers and Gophers are going to be neck and neck this year, and neither team is going to finish in the top 10.

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, everybody knows my name said:

Yes, meaningless.  Nebraska is rapidly improving, but it would be remarkable if they finished this season as a top 25 team.

Reality check: your Huskers won four games last year.  And yeah, they improved at the end of the season, but so do most well-coached teams.  So did my Gophers.  The Huskers and Gophers are going to be neck and neck this year, and neither team is going to finish in the top 10.

I'm sorry but I don't fear Minnesota whatsoever. It's like the same thing as our team except yall have worse talent. What did you guys do last year? Won some games down the stretch, just like we did. We have better talent, a better QB and better coaching. Yes yall got better after we played you last year, but we ran your Gophers out of our stadium and honestly I don't expect it to be much different this season.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, everybody knows my name said:

Nebraska is rapidly improving, but it would be remarkable if they finished this season as a top 25 team.

The middle ground you’re projecting is awfully narrow. 

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, everybody knows my name said:

Nebraska is rapidly improving, but it would be remarkable if they finished this season as a top 25 team.

No, it wouldn’t. Nebraska would be top 25 with 9 wins, maybe 8. Nothing would be remarkable about that regardless of only winning 4 games last season. 

A top 25 finish is the expected result with a small amount of improvement on defense and a small reduction in offensive mistakes which mostly plagued us during the first half of the season. 

2 hours ago, everybody knows my name said:

I really hope you hang around the board so we can chat early December 

• Plus1 2

48 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

No, it wouldn’t. Nebraska would be top 25 with 9 wins, maybe 8. Nothing would be remarkable about that regardless of only winning 4 games last season. 

A top 25 finish is the expected result with a small amount of improvement on defense and a small reduction in offensive mistakes which mostly plagued us during the first half of the season. 

Nine wins doesn't guarantee top 25. Most of the time a power five team with nine wins doesn't make the final cut.  Last year it was Stanford who won nine and didn't make the cut. In fact Nebraska actually has a little history of winning 9 and not making the final cut.

2016 Riley 9-4 NR

2014 Bo 9-4 NR

2013 Bo 9-4 25th

2011 Bo 9-4 24th

I might be just remembering the late Bo days when we ducked in and out of the top 25 a bunch, but it is a little tricky to end in the top 25.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

Nine wins doesn't guarantee top 25. Most of the time a power five team with nine wins doesn't make the final cut.  Last year it was Stanford who won nine and didn't make the cut. In fact Nebraska actually has a little history of winning 9 and not making the final cut.

2016 Riley 9-4 NR

2014 Bo 9-4 NR

2013 Bo 9-4 25th

2011 Bo 9-4 24th

I might be just remembering the late Bo days when we ducked in and out of the top 25 a bunch, but it is a little tricky to end in the top 25.  

I know it doesn’t but people seem to love Frost. I would guess a lot of it depends on when the 9th win was. E.g. with Riley we sucked at the end of the season. But if the 9th win is your bowl game the chances if ending rated are higher. 

I think we’ll win more than 9 anyway though. 

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

2016 Riley 9-4 NR

2014 Bo 9-4 NR

2013 Bo 9-4 25th

2011 Bo 9-4 24th

That Riley team was getting blown out down the stretch and lost the bowl game. The 2014 Huskers let Melvin Gordon rewrite the record books and lost the bowl game. I have a feeling if we went 9-4 this season it would look much different than those seasons.

• Plus1 2

18 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

2016 Riley 9-4 NR

2014 Bo 9-4 NR

2013 Bo 9-4 25th

2011 Bo 9-4 24th

How you get to your 8 or 9 wins is a big part of it. For example, if you lose early and then trend up, much easier time. If you play really close in your losses, much easier time. Have a coach that the media likes and a sense of hype around your new program? Much easier time. 

None of those years really had any of that. 2016 lost 4 of its last 6 (and two of those by 59 and 30 points respectively). 2014 lost 3 of its last 4 (the first being a 35 point loss and an FBS rushing record given to Wisconsin). 2013 was just barely ranked at all and the losses were spread out so there was never any poll momentum of any kind. 2011 we lost 3 of our last 5.

In comparison, there's usually around 5 teams that finish ranked with 8 or 9 wins at the end of the season each year. There's always a handful of 8 win teams that aren't ranked, but there's rarely more than 1-2 9 wins teams that aren't. 

Michigan is supposed to have an up-tempo offense this yea because of a new OC. This has the pundits predicting a successful outcome.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, jager said:

Michigan is supposed to have an up-tempo offense this yea because of a new OC. This has the pundits predicting a successful outcome.  

Key word is supposed to.  We are all intrigued how that will work with Jim "ball control" Harbaugh chewing on his play sheet trying not to step in.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I know I would be all for seeing a changing of the guard. Its gotten boring watching Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson dominate the country. Time for some new teams to take over. All of the top 3 of those teams have the coach. Nebraska and Michigan have the history on their side of being on top. Texas A&M not so much- but they are in Texas and have a great coach.

Since when has Ohio State been “dominat(ing) the country”?

3 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

I think they are just including the last 5 national championship (and all of the playoff) winners in stating the desire for some new blood.  Ohio state is more personal here for how much NU plays them.

13 hours ago, killer cacti said:

How many games have they lost in the last 5-8 years? Less than 10 I bet. Top 5 recruiting during that same time. 

11 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

How many games have they lost in the last 5-8 years? Less than 10 I bet. Top 5 recruiting during that same time. 

This was their last CFP game. They had a month to prepare and laid an egg. You get shutout in a major bowl game, you can’t claim dominance.

6F28B515-AAB1-412D-B107-F7C21F61CC11.jpeg

14 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

This was their last CFP game. They had a month to prepare and laid an egg. You get shutout in a major bowl game, you can’t claim dominance.

The quote was "Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson dominate the country"

OSU is the 2nd winningest program in the past 10 years. It's accurate to say they've been dominating the country with those 2 teams, even if they get destroyed by 1 of the 2 above them.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The quote was "Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson dominate the country"

OSU is the 2nd winningest program in the past 10 years. It's accurate to say they've been dominating the country with those 2 teams, even if they get destroyed by 1 of the 2 above them.

I just don’t see a point in including them when the national title 3 of the last 4 years has been between the other two teams. The fourth year, one of the teams was in it. It just feels like y’all just want to put a team in from your conference, IMO.

7 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

I just don’t see a point in including them when the national title 3 of the last 4 years has been between the other two teams. The fourth year, one of the teams was in it. It just feels like y’all just want to put a team in from your conference, IMO.

I mean if you don’t think Ohio State has been dominant than you are pretty delusional.

OSU in the last 5 years: 1 national title, only 7 losses.

Clemson in the last 5 years: 2 national titles, with 7 losses same as OSU. 

And let’s not act like the ACC has been a gauntlet of a conference either.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, killer cacti said:

1 hour ago, Ziebol said:

I mean if you don’t think Ohio State has been dominant than you are pretty delusional.

The post didn't claim they dominated Clemson, just the other teams on the schedule that comprise the other 99% of the country.  They took down Bama in a playoff as well.  I think they belong in the top 3/dominating the country category in the playoff era. 

Guess what the common denominator is with these 3?????? Coaching! Now that Urb is gone, it's TBD.

2 hours ago, killer cacti said:

I don't think the person who posted that gives 2 s#!ts that they're in our conference or are trying to elevate them.

• Plus1 1

48 minutes ago, runningblind said:

The post didn't claim they dominated Clemson, just the other teams on the schedule that comprise the other 99% of the country.  They took down Bama in a playoff as well.  I think they belong in the top 3/dominating the country category in the playoff era. 

Guess what the common denominator is with these 3?????? Coaching! Now that Urb is gone, it's TBD.

Yes, one can’t cherry pick the game against Clemson and ignore the game they took out Alabama and won the natty. 

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't think the person who posted that gives 2 s#!ts that they're in our conference or are trying to elevate them.

You are correct. I do not want to give Ohio state any more love than the big 10 already gives them. But you can’t deny what Ohio state has been. 

Personally i I think their run is on the downhill slide and Nebraska is in the way up. I don’t know when the passing of the torch happens but it’s soon 

OSU isn't on a downhill slide at all.  That is crazy talk.  It might take a slight dip here or there on the next few years but the word "downhill"  ... come on.  OSU is a far more prestigious university then Nebraska, at least to those outside Nebraska.

OSU will recruit better than us for years to come as well.  We will have to outcoach them.

On 7/11/2019 at 5:51 PM, jager said:

The pundits are all assuming they win at home against OSU, MSU, ND and on the road at Wiscy. I suspect Michigan will have tough time beating Army this year. Army took OU to the wire last year and returns almost everyone. The hype with Michigan is overblown.

53 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

OSU isn't on a downhill slide at all.  That is crazy talk.  It might take a slight dip here or there on the next few years but the word "downhill"  ... come on.  OSU is a far more prestigious university then Nebraska, at least to those outside Nebraska.

OSU will recruit better than us for years to come as well.  We will have to outcoach them.

Urban Meyer is gone, there is no where to go but down. Your either getting better or worse, they will not maintain what a legendary all time coach did. OSU is only a more prestigious place than Nebraska in the last 17 years. The prior 40 years was Nebraska. Who is on top is cyclical. Yes current trends are Ohio state but from a historical perspective we are equals so I dissagree we can’t compete. They start showing cracks in the armor and we start winning 10 plus games a year and scoring 50 points a game the recruiting edge will be gone 

crazy talk is to say some unproven head coach is going to replicate urban Meyers success. USC post Pete Carroll, Nebraska post Tom Osborne, Texas post Mack brown, Florida post urban Meyer

alabama, Michigan, Oklahoma on and on have all fallen from grace after losing iconic coaches. 

there are a few rare cases where you hit 2 hires in a row but it’s very rare and those examples show the elite can all fall 

38 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

OSU is only a more prestigious place than Nebraska in the last 17 years.

That period has now included 4 head coaches. They have been very resilient over the years to coaching changes.

20 minutes ago, brophog said:

That period has now included 4 head coaches. They have been very resilient over the years to coaching changes.

Yes the guy post Tressel was a disaster and urban Meyer fell in their lap. If not what would they be now? Guessing if this new guy is a flop they will run through some coaches like Nebraska, Florida and tennessee have been 

5 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Yes the guy post Tressel was a disaster and urban Meyer fell in their lap. If not what would they be now? Guessing if this new guy is a flop they will run through some coaches like Nebraska, Florida and tennessee have been 

Tressel was good. Luke Fickel was a one year interim coach. There were no plans to keep him as head coach unless that one year was stellar. Truth be told, OSU was probably waiting for Meyer and already talking to him when Fickel took over. I have no proof of that, I am speaking rumors.;) before Tressel, Cooper was a 10 to 12 win coach most years. He got fired for going 2-9-1 against UofM. 

52 minutes ago, nic said:

Tressel was good. Luke Fickel was a one year interim coach. There were no plans to keep him as head coach unless that one year was stellar. Truth be told, OSU was probably waiting for Meyer and already talking to him when Fickel took over. I have no proof of that, I am speaking rumors.;) before Tressel, Cooper was a 10 to 12 win coach most years. He got fired for going 2-9-1 against UofM. 

I just don’t believe they are less immune to down periods than anyone else. If that was true they would be way ahead of everyone in all time wins. Nebraska has been miserably bad for 17 years and Ohio state just passed us in all time wins 2 years ago. 

8 hours ago, Ziebol said:

Nobody’s claiming the ACC is strong. 

I’m not sure why 5 years is everyone’s sample size, but if you drop it to 4 years, it’s Clemson & Bama and then everyone else. I thought we were talking about the most recent success...and Ohio State or anyone else should not be in the conversation. 

6 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Yes, one can’t cherry pick the game against Clemson and ignore the game they took out Alabama and won the natty. 

Which was 5 years ago...the players are all different now. They’ve s#!t the bed every year since.

9 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

Nobody’s claiming the ACC is strong. 

I’m not sure why 5 years is everyone’s sample size, but if you drop it to 4 years, it’s Clemson & Bama and then everyone else. I thought we were talking about the most recent success...and Ohio State or anyone else should not be in the conversation. 

"Recent" can mean a lot of different numbers of years, and there can be different numbers of teams involved in this discussion. You could pick the 5 best teams and say they've dominated the country, or the best 10.

Using your arbitrary definition of recent which is 4 instead of 5, OSU is 47-6 in that time. I'm not gonna look it up but I'm guessing they're #3 or close to it in the past 4 years. You accused people of talking about OSU because they're in our conference, but you're conveniently leaving out the year they won a national championship.

We're arguing the English language right now, and you're not on the correct side of it.

If someone says Jack, Sally, and Bob are a lot better than the other students at math, and their average test scores are 100%, 99.9%, and 95%, and the next best student's average is 85%, then they are all a lot better than their classmates. Commenting that Jack and Sally are a lot better than their classmates (including Bob) doesn't make the previous statement untrue.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Using your arbitrary definition of recent which is 4 instead of 5, OSU is 47-6 in that time. I'm not gonna look it up but I'm guessing they're #3 or close to it in the past 4 years. You accused people of talking about OSU because they're in our conference, but you're conveniently leaving out the year they won a national championship.

I “conveniently” left out the year they won the national championship? Don’t think so. Conveniently leaving it out or cherry picking would be pulling one out of the middle and not including it.

In the 4 most recent national championship games, 2 teams have met 3 times. The other time, they met in the semifinal due to seeding. It could be argued they may have met for the title that year as well...but that’s neither here nor there. 

The last 4 years, there has been two teams on top on top of college football. In those 4 years, Ohio State has been in the playoff once and got their asses handed to them. If it makes you feel better to say they belong in the “dominant” category, then good for you. But I’m telling you, if Clemson or Alabama lines up against the Buckeyes right now, they’re not gonna be worried about it.

FWIW, I’d put Oklahoma above Ohio State in recent years.