A meaningless preseason poll has Nebraska at #7

13 minutes ago, everybody knows my name said:

Yes, meaningless.  Nebraska is rapidly improving, but it would be remarkable if they finished this season as a top 25 team.

Reality check: your Huskers won four games last year.  And yeah, they improved at the end of the season, but so do most well-coached teams.  So did my Gophers.  The Huskers and Gophers are going to be neck and neck this year, and neither team is going to finish in the top 10.

I'm sorry but I don't fear Minnesota whatsoever. It's like the same thing as our team except yall have worse talent. What did you guys do last year? Won some games down the stretch, just like we did. We have better talent, a better QB and better coaching. Yes yall got better after we played you last year, but we ran your Gophers out of our stadium and honestly I don't expect it to be much different this season.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, everybody knows my name said:

Nebraska is rapidly improving, but it would be remarkable if they finished this season as a top 25 team.

No, it wouldn’t. Nebraska would be top 25 with 9 wins, maybe 8. Nothing would be remarkable about that regardless of only winning 4 games last season. 

A top 25 finish is the expected result with a small amount of improvement on defense and a small reduction in offensive mistakes which mostly plagued us during the first half of the season. 

2 hours ago, everybody knows my name said:

Yes, meaningless.  Nebraska is rapidly improving, but it would be remarkable if they finished this season as a top 25 team.

Reality check: your Huskers won four games last year.  And yeah, they improved at the end of the season, but so do most well-coached teams.  So did my Gophers.  The Huskers and Gophers are going to be neck and neck this year, and neither team is going to finish in the top 10.

I really hope you hang around the board so we can chat early December 

• Plus1 2
48 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

No, it wouldn’t. Nebraska would be top 25 with 9 wins, maybe 8. Nothing would be remarkable about that regardless of only winning 4 games last season. 

A top 25 finish is the expected result with a small amount of improvement on defense and a small reduction in offensive mistakes which mostly plagued us during the first half of the season. 

Nine wins doesn't guarantee top 25. Most of the time a power five team with nine wins doesn't make the final cut.  Last year it was Stanford who won nine and didn't make the cut. In fact Nebraska actually has a little history of winning 9 and not making the final cut.

2016 Riley 9-4 NR

2014 Bo 9-4 NR

2013 Bo 9-4 25th

2011 Bo 9-4 24th

I might be just remembering the late Bo days when we ducked in and out of the top 25 a bunch, but it is a little tricky to end in the top 25.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

Nine wins doesn't guarantee top 25. Most of the time a power five team with nine wins doesn't make the final cut.  Last year it was Stanford who won nine and didn't make the cut. In fact Nebraska actually has a little history of winning 9 and not making the final cut.

2016 Riley 9-4 NR

2014 Bo 9-4 NR

2013 Bo 9-4 25th

2011 Bo 9-4 24th

I might be just remembering the late Bo days when we ducked in and out of the top 25 a bunch, but it is a little tricky to end in the top 25.  

I know it doesn’t but people seem to love Frost. I would guess a lot of it depends on when the 9th win was. E.g. with Riley we sucked at the end of the season. But if the 9th win is your bowl game the chances if ending rated are higher. 

I think we’ll win more than 9 anyway though. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

2016 Riley 9-4 NR

2014 Bo 9-4 NR

2013 Bo 9-4 25th

2011 Bo 9-4 24th

That Riley team was getting blown out down the stretch and lost the bowl game. The 2014 Huskers let Melvin Gordon rewrite the record books and lost the bowl game. I have a feeling if we went 9-4 this season it would look much different than those seasons.

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

2016 Riley 9-4 NR

2014 Bo 9-4 NR

2013 Bo 9-4 25th

2011 Bo 9-4 24th

How you get to your 8 or 9 wins is a big part of it. For example, if you lose early and then trend up, much easier time. If you play really close in your losses, much easier time. Have a coach that the media likes and a sense of hype around your new program? Much easier time. 

None of those years really had any of that. 2016 lost 4 of its last 6 (and two of those by 59 and 30 points respectively). 2014 lost 3 of its last 4 (the first being a 35 point loss and an FBS rushing record given to Wisconsin). 2013 was just barely ranked at all and the losses were spread out so there was never any poll momentum of any kind. 2011 we lost 3 of our last 5.

In comparison, there's usually around 5 teams that finish ranked with 8 or 9 wins at the end of the season each year. There's always a handful of 8 win teams that aren't ranked, but there's rarely more than 1-2 9 wins teams that aren't. 

1 hour ago, jager said:

Michigan is supposed to have an up-tempo offense this yea because of a new OC. This has the pundits predicting a successful outcome.  

Key word is supposed to.  We are all intrigued how that will work with Jim "ball control" Harbaugh chewing on his play sheet trying not to step in.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
14 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I know I would be all for seeing a changing of the guard. Its gotten boring watching Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson dominate the country. Time for some new teams to take over. All of the top 3 of those teams have the coach. Nebraska and Michigan have the history on their side of being on top. Texas A&M not so much- but they are in Texas and have a great coach.

Since when has Ohio State been “dominat(ing) the country”?

3 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

Since when has Ohio State been “dominat(ing) the country”?

I think they are just including the last 5 national championship (and all of the playoff) winners in stating the desire for some new blood.  Ohio state is more personal here for how much NU plays them.