A meaningless preseason poll has Nebraska at #7

14 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

This was their last CFP game. They had a month to prepare and laid an egg. You get shutout in a major bowl game, you can’t claim dominance.

The quote was "Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson dominate the country"

OSU is the 2nd winningest program in the past 10 years. It's accurate to say they've been dominating the country with those 2 teams, even if they get destroyed by 1 of the 2 above them.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The quote was "Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson dominate the country"

OSU is the 2nd winningest program in the past 10 years. It's accurate to say they've been dominating the country with those 2 teams, even if they get destroyed by 1 of the 2 above them.

I just don’t see a point in including them when the national title 3 of the last 4 years has been between the other two teams. The fourth year, one of the teams was in it. It just feels like y’all just want to put a team in from your conference, IMO.

7 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

I just don’t see a point in including them when the national title 3 of the last 4 years has been between the other two teams. The fourth year, one of the teams was in it. It just feels like y’all just want to put a team in from your conference, IMO.

I mean if you don’t think Ohio State has been dominant than you are pretty delusional.

OSU in the last 5 years: 1 national title, only 7 losses.

Clemson in the last 5 years: 2 national titles, with 7 losses same as OSU. 

And let’s not act like the ACC has been a gauntlet of a conference either.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, killer cacti said:

1 hour ago, Ziebol said:

I mean if you don’t think Ohio State has been dominant than you are pretty delusional.

OSU in the last 5 years: 1 national title, only 7 losses.

Clemson in the last 5 years: 2 national titles, with 7 losses same as OSU. 

And let’s not act like the ACC has been a gauntlet of a conference either.

The post didn't claim they dominated Clemson, just the other teams on the schedule that comprise the other 99% of the country.  They took down Bama in a playoff as well.  I think they belong in the top 3/dominating the country category in the playoff era. 

Guess what the common denominator is with these 3?????? Coaching! Now that Urb is gone, it's TBD.

2 hours ago, killer cacti said:

I don't think the person who posted that gives 2 s#!ts that they're in our conference or are trying to elevate them.

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, runningblind said:

The post didn't claim they dominated Clemson, just the other teams on the schedule that comprise the other 99% of the country.  They took down Bama in a playoff as well.  I think they belong in the top 3/dominating the country category in the playoff era. 

Guess what the common denominator is with these 3?????? Coaching! Now that Urb is gone, it's TBD.

Yes, one can’t cherry pick the game against Clemson and ignore the game they took out Alabama and won the natty. 

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't think the person who posted that gives 2 s#!ts that they're in our conference or are trying to elevate them.

You are correct. I do not want to give Ohio state any more love than the big 10 already gives them. But you can’t deny what Ohio state has been. 

Personally i I think their run is on the downhill slide and Nebraska is in the way up. I don’t know when the passing of the torch happens but it’s soon 

OSU isn't on a downhill slide at all.  That is crazy talk.  It might take a slight dip here or there on the next few years but the word "downhill"  ... come on.  OSU is a far more prestigious university then Nebraska, at least to those outside Nebraska.

OSU will recruit better than us for years to come as well.  We will have to outcoach them.

On 7/11/2019 at 5:51 PM, jager said:

Michigan is supposed to have an up-tempo offense this yea because of a new OC. This has the pundits predicting a successful outcome.  

The pundits are all assuming they win at home against OSU, MSU, ND and on the road at Wiscy. I suspect Michigan will have tough time beating Army this year. Army took OU to the wire last year and returns almost everyone. The hype with Michigan is overblown.

53 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

OSU isn't on a downhill slide at all.  That is crazy talk.  It might take a slight dip here or there on the next few years but the word "downhill"  ... come on.  OSU is a far more prestigious university then Nebraska, at least to those outside Nebraska.

OSU will recruit better than us for years to come as well.  We will have to outcoach them.

Urban Meyer is gone, there is no where to go but down. Your either getting better or worse, they will not maintain what a legendary all time coach did. OSU is only a more prestigious place than Nebraska in the last 17 years. The prior 40 years was Nebraska. Who is on top is cyclical. Yes current trends are Ohio state but from a historical perspective we are equals so I dissagree we can’t compete. They start showing cracks in the armor and we start winning 10 plus games a year and scoring 50 points a game the recruiting edge will be gone 

crazy talk is to say some unproven head coach is going to replicate urban Meyers success. USC post Pete Carroll, Nebraska post Tom Osborne, Texas post Mack brown, Florida post urban Meyer

alabama, Michigan, Oklahoma on and on have all fallen from grace after losing iconic coaches. 

there are a few rare cases where you hit 2 hires in a row but it’s very rare and those examples show the elite can all fall 

20 minutes ago, brophog said:

That period has now included 4 head coaches. They have been very resilient over the years to coaching changes.

Yes the guy post Tressel was a disaster and urban Meyer fell in their lap. If not what would they be now? Guessing if this new guy is a flop they will run through some coaches like Nebraska, Florida and tennessee have been 

5 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Yes the guy post Tressel was a disaster and urban Meyer fell in their lap. If not what would they be now? Guessing if this new guy is a flop they will run through some coaches like Nebraska, Florida and tennessee have been 

Tressel was good. Luke Fickel was a one year interim coach. There were no plans to keep him as head coach unless that one year was stellar. Truth be told, OSU was probably waiting for Meyer and already talking to him when Fickel took over. I have no proof of that, I am speaking rumors.;) before Tressel, Cooper was a 10 to 12 win coach most years. He got fired for going 2-9-1 against UofM. 

52 minutes ago, nic said:

Tressel was good. Luke Fickel was a one year interim coach. There were no plans to keep him as head coach unless that one year was stellar. Truth be told, OSU was probably waiting for Meyer and already talking to him when Fickel took over. I have no proof of that, I am speaking rumors.;) before Tressel, Cooper was a 10 to 12 win coach most years. He got fired for going 2-9-1 against UofM. 

I just don’t believe they are less immune to down periods than anyone else. If that was true they would be way ahead of everyone in all time wins. Nebraska has been miserably bad for 17 years and Ohio state just passed us in all time wins 2 years ago.