A meaningless preseason poll has Nebraska at #7

8 hours ago, Ziebol said:

I mean if you don’t think Ohio State has been dominant than you are pretty delusional.

OSU in the last 5 years: 1 national title, only 7 losses.

Clemson in the last 5 years: 2 national titles, with 7 losses same as OSU. 

And let’s not act like the ACC has been a gauntlet of a conference either.

Nobody’s claiming the ACC is strong. 

I’m not sure why 5 years is everyone’s sample size, but if you drop it to 4 years, it’s Clemson & Bama and then everyone else. I thought we were talking about the most recent success...and Ohio State or anyone else should not be in the conversation. 

9 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

Nobody’s claiming the ACC is strong. 

I’m not sure why 5 years is everyone’s sample size, but if you drop it to 4 years, it’s Clemson & Bama and then everyone else. I thought we were talking about the most recent success...and Ohio State or anyone else should not be in the conversation. 

"Recent" can mean a lot of different numbers of years, and there can be different numbers of teams involved in this discussion. You could pick the 5 best teams and say they've dominated the country, or the best 10.

Using your arbitrary definition of recent which is 4 instead of 5, OSU is 47-6 in that time. I'm not gonna look it up but I'm guessing they're #3 or close to it in the past 4 years. You accused people of talking about OSU because they're in our conference, but you're conveniently leaving out the year they won a national championship.

We're arguing the English language right now, and you're not on the correct side of it.

If someone says Jack, Sally, and Bob are a lot better than the other students at math, and their average test scores are 100%, 99.9%, and 95%, and the next best student's average is 85%, then they are all a lot better than their classmates. Commenting that Jack and Sally are a lot better than their classmates (including Bob) doesn't make the previous statement untrue.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Using your arbitrary definition of recent which is 4 instead of 5, OSU is 47-6 in that time. I'm not gonna look it up but I'm guessing they're #3 or close to it in the past 4 years. You accused people of talking about OSU because they're in our conference, but you're conveniently leaving out the year they won a national championship.

I “conveniently” left out the year they won the national championship? Don’t think so. Conveniently leaving it out or cherry picking would be pulling one out of the middle and not including it.

In the 4 most recent national championship games, 2 teams have met 3 times. The other time, they met in the semifinal due to seeding. It could be argued they may have met for the title that year as well...but that’s neither here nor there. 

The last 4 years, there has been two teams on top on top of college football. In those 4 years, Ohio State has been in the playoff once and got their asses handed to them. If it makes you feel better to say they belong in the “dominant” category, then good for you. But I’m telling you, if Clemson or Alabama lines up against the Buckeyes right now, they’re not gonna be worried about it.

FWIW, I’d put Oklahoma above Ohio State in recent years.

2 hours ago, killer cacti said:

I “conveniently” left out the year they won the national championship? Don’t think so. Conveniently leaving it out or cherry picking would be pulling one out of the middle and not including it.

In the 4 most recent national championship games, 2 teams have met 3 times. The other time, they met in the semifinal due to seeding. It could be argued they may have met for the title that year as well...but that’s neither here nor there. 

The last 4 years, there has been two teams on top on top of college football. In those 4 years, Ohio State has been in the playoff once and got their asses handed to them. If it makes you feel better to say they belong in the “dominant” category, then good for you. But I’m telling you, if Clemson or Alabama lines up against the Buckeyes right now, they’re not gonna be worried about it.

It's not relevant to me whether we discuss the 2, 3, 5, 10, 25 teams that have been dominating college football the past 4, 5, 10 years, so no, it doesn't make me feel better/worse to include Ohio State, unless of course they're one of the 3 best teams in the past X years and we're discussing the 3 teams that have dominated college football in the past X years. And even then it doesn't make me feel better, it just means I understand what we're talking about.

What's relevant is that you got all nitpicky because someone said the 3 most dominant teams were X. The statement was 100% accurate but you're ignoring or don't understand the concept of 3 things being better than the other things and the 3rd thing being better than the other things even if the 2 things above it are better than the 3rd. It's a pretty simple concept.

• Plus1 3
9 hours ago, killer cacti said:

Why you arguing semantics so hard? Ohio State has been one of the best 5 teams in the country in the past 4 years or 5 years or 7 years for that matter. There is really no arguing against that. Its not outside the realm of possibility someone would consider them squarely 3rd behind Clemson and Alabama. If you want to make it Oklahoma then fine, but they've lost 2 semifinals the last 2 years what did they do the 2 before that? Over the last 4 seasons they have 8 losses, 2 more than Ohio State. I'm not sure why you take offense when Ohio State literally has the 3rd best win loss record over the past 4 seasons. Or 5 seasons, or even 7 seasons. In fact, since 2013, Bama has 8 losses and Clemson and OSU have 9. Next best is 15 losses. Please move along on this one buddy.

• Plus1 3

I’m the one “arguing semantics” yet y’all are the ones adding on years to prove your point. If we add every year, we can say that Michigan has dominated college football, since they have the best overall record...but we all know how laughable they’ve been.

Fact is, Clemson & Bama are head over heels better than anyone else IN THE MOST RECENT SEASONS. College football is a “what have you done for me lately” sport. Oklahoma and Ohio State are next in line. If you’re gonna put tOSU in, put Oklahoma in too. 

Maybe this is the year the B1G can get a team in that will actually score a point in the playoffs. It’s only been 1,644 days since that happened...

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

I’m the one “arguing semantics” yet y’all are the ones adding on years to prove your point. If we add every year, we can say that Michigan has dominated college football, since they have the best overall record...but we all know how laughable they’ve been.

Fact is, Clemson & Bama are head over heels better than anyone else IN THE MOST RECENT SEASONS. College football is a “what have you done for me lately” sport. Oklahoma and Ohio State are next in line. If you’re gonna put tOSU in, put Oklahoma in too. 

Maybe this is the year the B1G can get a team in that will actually score a point in the playoffs. It’s only been 1,644 days since that happened...

Except if you pick any time frame, OSU has a better record than Oklahoma. 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, 4 years, 5 years. Doesn't matter the time span short or long, OSU has the 3rd best record in college football in this era however you want to define this era.

• Plus1 2

40 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

Why do you have such a strong bias against tOSU? It's a weird hill to die on considering everyone is agreeing with you that Clemson and Alabama are better than tOSU.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Why do you have such a strong bias against tOSU? It's a weird hill to die on considering everyone is agreeing with you that Clemson and Alabama are better than tOSU.

Because I’m tired of seeing them put on a pedestal only to s#!t the bed. Michigan is in the same boat. It’s like every wants them to be good because they’re in the B1G.

Meanwhile, Clemson still is fighting the rhetoric of “the ACC is weak” even after beating a team everyone was saying was the best team ever by 28 in the title game. 

Ohio State just doesn’t deserve to be in the dominant team conversation just because they are historically a good team who last won something relevant 5 years ago.

Just now, killer cacti said:

Because I’m tired of seeing them put on a pedestal only to s#!t the bed. Michigan is in the same boat. It’s like every wants them to be good because they’re in the B1G.

Meanwhile, Clemson still is fighting the rhetoric of “the ACC is weak” even after beating a team everyone was saying was the best team ever by 28 in the title game. 

Ohio State just doesn’t deserve to be in the dominant team conversation just because they are historically a good team who last won something relevant 5 years ago.

*And has been the 3rd best program record wise in the last x(whatever number you like) amount of years, don't forget to leave that part out.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, killer cacti said:

Is Alabama out of the dominant teams argument considering they just s#!t the bed and lost by 28? Nobody is saying anything about Michigan being dominant, and whether people want them to be good or not has nothing to do with the argument of dominant teams. And what does "the ACC is weak" have anything to do with Clemson sticking it to Alabama? Since Alabama last won something relevant 3 years ago, should they be out like tOSU?