A meaningless preseason poll has Nebraska at #7

49 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

*And has been the 3rd best program record wise in the last x(whatever number you like) amount of years, don't forget to leave that part out.

Ok. But they still don’t belong with the other 2. 

If we’re going on records alone, UCF has the best record percentage in the last two years than anyone else...accolades do mean something, same as showing up to a semifinal game and getting shut out.

10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Is Alabama out of the dominant teams argument considering they just s#!t the bed and lost by 28? Nobody is saying anything about Michigan being dominant, and whether people want them to be good or not has nothing to do with the argument of dominant teams. And what does "the ACC is weak" have anything to do with Clemson sticking to Alabama? Since Alabama last won something relevant 3 years ago, should they be out like tOSU?

Alabama won the season before last. Some of those players are still on the team and played for the title this year. That means something. Ohio State got blown out 3 years ago and hasn’t done anything since. Bama at least gets a year to see if they can rebound. 

Many folks are still attributing Clemson’s win over Bama to “Clemson has an easy schedule and was rested up while Bama was beat up and tired.” So yeah, it bothers me when a team that got throttled by Purdue gets put in the same category as an two teams that played for the opportunity to be the first 15-0 team in the modern era.

37 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

Alabama won the season before last. Some of those players are still on the team and played for the title this year. That means something. Ohio State got blown out 3 years ago and hasn’t done anything since. Bama at least gets a year to see if they can rebound. 

Many folks are still attributing Clemson’s win over Bama to “Clemson has an easy schedule and was rested up while Bama was beat up and tired.” So yeah, it bothers me when a team that got throttled by Purdue gets put in the same category as an two teams that played for the opportunity to be the first 15-0 team in the modern era.

didnt both teams have like a month off before the 1st round of the playoffs?

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, killer cacti said:

I “conveniently” left out the year they won the national championship? Don’t think so. Conveniently leaving it out or cherry picking would be pulling one out of the middle and not including it.

In the 4 most recent national championship games, 2 teams have met 3 times. The other time, they met in the semifinal due to seeding. It could be argued they may have met for the title that year as well...but that’s neither here nor there. 

The last 4 years, there has been two teams on top on top of college football. In those 4 years, Ohio State has been in the playoff once and got their asses handed to them. If it makes you feel better to say they belong in the “dominant” category, then good for you. But I’m telling you, if Clemson or Alabama lines up against the Buckeyes right now, they’re not gonna be worried about it.

FWIW, I’d put Oklahoma above Ohio State in recent years.

On paper their talent is pretty equal to Alabama and have probably recruited better than Clemson the last 4 or 5 years so they should not take it lightly. Didn’t Ohio state manhandle bama just 5 years ago? The last game bama played they got ran off the field by Clemson so I wouldn’t say they are world beaters like you claim. 

Honestly i am amazed we are debating a guy who doesn’t concede that losing 9 games in 7 years is nothing short of dominance. That’s losing 1.28 games per year. 

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, desertshox said:

Yes.  But that doesn't fit the narrative.   The SEC is the best conference ever.  They play an NFL schedule week after week.  It's amazing they can even finish the season etc........

Clemson and Bama are head and shoulders above current teams.  The old rich getter richer.  OSU has a wealth of talent, but underperforms on the big stage ie playoffs IMHO.  OU plays in a weak conference with no defense.....To add, I'd love their record.  I think they got screwed last year not getting in.  Actually the B1G got screwed...

I don't know why I'm even commenting about anything in this thread, but NU.  

7 is really awesome. And insane IMHO.  I'm ok with top 25.  I'd prefer we sneak up on teams this year as opposed to all the hype.  Hare it when we get no respect.  Hate it when we do.  I guess that's what happens when we wander for the pst 15+ years in mediocrity.  

2 hours ago, killer cacti said:

Because I’m tired of seeing them put on a pedestal only to s#!t the bed. Michigan is in the same boat. It’s like every wants them to be good because they’re in the B1G.

Meanwhile, Clemson still is fighting the rhetoric of “the ACC is weak” even after beating a team everyone was saying was the best team ever by 28 in the title game. 

Ohio State just doesn’t deserve to be in the dominant team conversation just because they are historically a good team who last won something relevant 5 years ago.

That’s the problem with the media getting over excited to crown the best ever team before the season is over. They crowned 05 USC best ever after like week 4 and they lost that year too

29 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

That’s the problem with the media getting over excited to crown the best ever team before the season is over. They crowned 05 USC best ever after like week 4 and they lost that year too

So we just need the media to crown a team the best ever team before the season is over and that team will not win the championship! We beat the system!

On 7/13/2019 at 12:54 PM, killer cacti said:

I just don’t see a point in including them when the national title 3 of the last 4 years has been between the other two teams. The fourth year, one of the teams was in it. It just feels like y’all just want to put a team in from your conference, IMO.

It's more just that while OSU is obviously not quite on par with Bama and Clemson, they're a pretty clear #3 (I guess some could make an argument for Oklahoma) in the playoff era, and they're one that is close and personal to us. A fairly innocuous comment imo and there's no "trying to put a team from our conference" in something, it's more just a conversation amongst a particular group with a particular perspective.

10 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

On paper their talent is pretty equal to Alabama and have probably recruited better than Clemson the last 4 or 5 years so they should not take it lightly. 

“On paper” doesn’t mean s#!t. They’ve definitely beaten Clemson in the recruiting rankings, which also don’t mean s#!t. The only part that matters is when you spot the f#&%ing ball and play.

Didn’t Ohio state manhandle bama just 5 years ago?

They won by 7, hardly manhandling. 

Honestly i am amazed we are debating a guy who doesn’t concede that losing 9 games in 7 years is nothing short of dominance. That’s losing 1.28 games per year. 

How was I accused of “cherry picking” one bad game for Ohio State, but yet everytime you talk about their record or amount of losses you stop right before their 6-7 season?

10 hours ago, desertshox said:

Indeed. Just as I noted about Ohio State when they lost 31-0. Having a month off makes it even worse when you fail to score a point. But like @lo country said...the SEC may as well be the NFC South around these parts. I’ve heard every excuse they can come up with as to why Bama got their asses kicked. 

1 hour ago, killer cacti said:

How was I accused of “cherry picking” one bad game for Ohio State, but yet everytime you talk about their record or amount of losses you stop right before their 6-7 season?

Because it's an anomaly, wasn't under Urban Meyer, and is not indicative of their recent and generally historic dominance.

Here's their last 20 years for context:

11-1 #2

6-6

8-4

7-5

14-0 #1

11-2 #4

8-4 #19

10-2 #4

12-1 #2

11-2 #4

10-3 #10

11-2 #5

12-1 #5

6-7

12-0 #3

12-2 #10

14-1 #1

12-1 #4

11-2 #6

12-2 #5

13-1 #3

• Thanks 1
On 7/11/2019 at 9:56 AM, Nebfanatic said:

I'm sorry but I don't fear Minnesota whatsoever. It's like the same thing as our team except yall have worse talent. What did you guys do last year? Won some games down the stretch, just like we did. We have better talent, a better QB and better coaching. Yes yall got better after we played you last year, but we ran your Gophers out of our stadium and honestly I don't expect it to be much different this season.

That's fine, I don't fear Nebraska either.  Sure, Nebraska scored 53 on Minnesota last year, but then Illinois scored 55 on the Gophers, we replaced our DC, and held Purdue, Wisconsin, and Georgia Tech to 10, 15, and 10.  Those teams were all better than Nebraska or Illinois.

Nebraska doesn't have as much developed talent as you seem to think, and there's nothing special about your team this year.  You're trending upward, but so are we.  I'll see you on October 12th!

• Haha 3
3 minutes ago, everybody knows my name said:

That's fine, I don't fear Nebraska either.  Sure, Nebraska scored 53 on Minnesota last year, but then Illinois scored 55 on the Gophers, we replaced our DC, and held Purdue, Wisconsin, and Georgia Tech to 10, 15, and 10.  Those teams were all better than Nebraska or Illinois.

Nebraska doesn't have as much developed talent as you seem to think, and there's nothing special about your team this year.  You're trending upward, but so are we.  I'll see you on October 12th!

Nebraska is 20th in 4 year recruiting rankings and Minnesota is 42nd. There is a reason we are getting all of this hype and Minny is nowhere to be found. See ya on the 15th.

• Plus1 1