CBS Sports: Nebraska's defense, not offense, will be key in living up to preseason hype

Scott Frost and Adrian Martinez are garnering a lot of excitement for Nebraska, but they won't decide the Huskers' fate.

Nebraska is an offseason darling this offseason after a 4-8 season in 2018. The Huskers lost their first six games under Scott Frost last year, including a home loss to Troy, but rebounded to win four of their final six.

That was good enough for a fifth-place finish (they held the tie-breaker with Minnesota) in the West Division of the Big Ten. They also showed enough to convince nearly everybody that Nebraska will be one of the teams to beat in the West in 2019.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/nebraskas-defense-not-offense-will-be-key-in-living-up-to-preseason-hype/

• Plus1 1

I think the Huskers need to score a lot, in the early going this season. Let the D get used to their roles. 

T O's teams did that every few years, letting one side of the ball carry the load, till everyone got their positions down.

I didn't see much of a D at UCF to think our D/C can get it going here, but it looks like they are bringing in some good talent and coaches, that should give us hope.

Nothing to do now but see how this year sets us up, for a great run in 2020. 

GBR!!!

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, huskered17 said:

I think the Huskers need to score a lot, in the early going this season. Let the D get used to their roles. 

T O's teams did that every few years, letting one side of the ball carry the load, till everyone got their positions down.

I didn't see much of a D at UCF to think our D/C can get it going here, but it looks like they are bringing in some good talent and coaches, that should give us hope.

Nothing to do now but see how this year sets us up, for a great run in 2020. 

GBR!!!

Chinander was in year 1 and year 2 of being a defensive coordinator.