Athlon Quarterback Rankings

9. Adrian Martinez, Nebraska

The continued development of Martinez is a big reason why coach Scott Frost’s team should take a big step forward in 2019. Martinez did not play as a high school senior due to injury but showed no rust in his freshman season. The California native connected on 64.6 percent of his passes for 2,617 yards and 17 touchdowns to just eight picks. Martinez finished second on the team with 629 rushing yards and chipped in eight scores on the ground. With a full offseason to develop under Frost, look for Martinez to contend for All-Big Ten honors this fall.

Link

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

I misread that at first and thought it said ninth in the Big 10. 

I'd say ninth in the country is a tad high, but I could see him being there by the end of the year. 

They have him as 3rd in the Big 10.

I'm know I'm biased.  But, I wouldn't take the other two above him.  Two guys who couldn't win the starting job at their previous schools (until injuries to the starter in Patterson's case).  Have yet to show dominance in their current programs.

Don't get me wrong.  I think both Patterson and Fields are good QBs.  I just don't think they have shown enough to definitely put them above 2AM.

• Plus1 3

56 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

They have him as 3rd in the Big 10.

I'm know I'm biased.  But, I wouldn't take the other two above him.  Two guys who couldn't win the starting job at their previous schools (until injuries to the starter in Patterson's case).  Have yet to show dominance in their current programs.

Don't get me wrong.  I think both Patterson and Fields are good QBs.  I just don't think they have shown enough to definitely put them above 2AM.

I agree that he's probably the best quarterback in the Big 10. Fields has never proven anything. If they're going to rank him so high because he was a five star in high school then they might as well rank the Northwestern transfer that high too.

I think Patterson is good, not great and I'd definitely take Martinez over him.

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Martinez is 3rd in returning total offense in the country.

I don't care as much about total offense. I think yards per play and TD to interception ratio are more important.

Not that total offense is meaningless, but pace has made it much less relevant over the last 10 years or so. 

• Plus1 1

Ehlinger is pretty salty, different offense different demands. But he’s good. 

Tua is damn good, we know this (plus..Alabama)

Lawrence has proven himself (plus..Clemson)

Fields and Patterson...prove it buddy. 

there may be 1-2 guys who put up sheer numbers better than Martinez, so there’s that. 

But for what we do, under Frost, only being a sophomore...I think our guy is top 5 

i actually hope his running numbers go down, minus TDs. I’d like to see him distribute to playmakers, execute, ball control, and lead more of the offense, hopefully more of that than he’s forced to run. If Washington and Mills can do their thing this may bear out. We need him healthy and playing all the games. 

Obviously, it allllll comes down to line play. 

1 hour ago, Hans Gruber said:

I don't care as much about total offense. I think yards per play and TD to interception ratio are more important.

Not that total offense is meaningless, but pace has made it much less relevant over the last 10 years or so. 

Why does pace make total offense less relevant?

I think it doesn't make sense to compare 2019 to 1999 total offense, but comparing players within the same season, I'm not sure why it would be less relevant.

But I would say points per play or points per yard are more relevant than total offense or yards per play.

22 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Why does pace make total offense less relevant?

I think it doesn't make sense to compare 2019 to 1999 total offense, but comparing players within the same season, I'm not sure why it would be less relevant.

But I would say points per play or points per yard are more relevant than total offense or yards per play.

Because even now not everyone plays with pace. Sure, many more do.

But a Wisconsin, Iowa, Stanford or Army quarterback finishing with 400 yards of offense on 35 total touches is much more impressive than a Nebraska, Oregon or Oklahoma quarterback finishing with 500 yards of offense on 50 touches.

1 minute ago, Hans Gruber said:

Because even now not everyone plays with pace. Sure, many more do.

But a Wisconsin, Iowa, Stanford or Army quarterback finishing with 400 yards of offense on 35 total touches is much more impressive than a Nebraska, Oregon or Oklahoma quarterback finishing with 500 yards of offense on 50 touches.

Only if they're able to score enough to win after taking up that clock. That's why points per play and points per yard are more important. And we were pretty bad at that last season, but got better as the season went on.

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Only if they're able to score enough to win after taking up that clock. That's why points per play and points per yard are more important. And we were pretty bad at that last season, but got better as the season went on.

You're not wrong, but I think a quarterback has less control over team points per play or team points per yard.

And honestly, while I get that those stats work, I don't have a baseline for what is good or bad with those outside of extreme outliers.

Kind of like 40-yard dash times. I know what's fast, what's slow, what's fast for specific positions etc. On the other hand, I have no clue what's good and bad in the three-cone drill or the shuttle run.