Craziest Husker related football story you have heard?

We have the recent one...with Moos being handsy and then passed out at local lincoln bars...which of course must have happened on the day when everyone forgot their cell phones.

We have Bo's wife wearing gloves that said FUSP on them...which again no one got a picture of.

We have the "meeting" underground the day of the Texas game...which again...no one got a picture of Bo and his staff going in or out of a hotel...on a gameday...in Lincoln.

We have TO hiding a gun?

What other crazy ones have you heard?

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

We have the recent one...with Moos being handsy and then passed out at local lincoln bars...which of course must have happened on the day when everyone forgot their cell phones.

We have Bo's wife wearing gloves that said FUSP on them...which again no one got a picture of.

We have the "meeting" underground the day of the Texas game...which again...no one got a picture of Bo and his staff going in or out of a hotel...on a gameday...in Lincoln.

We have TO hiding a gun?

What other crazy ones have you heard?

Can you give me a quick reminder on the "FUSP", texas meeting, and TOs gun stories? I don't remember any of that?!

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

Can you give me a quick reminder on the "FUSP", texas meeting, and TOs gun stories? I don't remember any of that?!

Sure!

The FUSP was allegedly something that Mary Pat Pelini wrote on her gloves/mittens after Bo did not get the job the first time.  The rumor is she wore those gloves at the bowl game (I think) and of course EVERYONE saw it...but there is no picture that I know of.  f#&% You Steve Pederson.  I don't believe this story BUT it is one that is believable. 

Texas Meeting:  This one has gained crazy legs because of message boards.  So, the day of the Texas game (Red Out Around The World) I guess there were some boosters that had upset Bo and his staff...Sooooooo Bo and his staff drove/walked over to a hotel (Cornhusker?  I can't remember) and met with this booster(s) in private, in the basement and basically bullied and threatened the booster.  The booster was soooooooo scared that he ran back to his tailgate and told everyone and everyone at the tailgate could see how scared he was...This one still gets a lot of "I heard it is true" and even some media guys have spouted off that it is true.   This one, not true in my mind.  Bo and Carl (One more staff member I think) on gameday (11am game I think) getting around Lincoln, in and out of a hotel and no one sees them and snaps a picture?  NO ONE?  This story became so big because people wanted to nail Bo...it of course did not really start leaking out until well after "it happened"

TO Gun story:  More people can chime in on this one, I don't know it as well.  A robbery or shooting took place?  And somehow TO ended up with the players gun and hid it/kept it in his office so that the player could not get in trouble.  

• Plus1 1

I want to believe the Cornhusker Hotel story real badly, because that's entirely in character with Bo. I'm also a fan of the "Ritchie Incognito fought the entire baseball team at a house party" story. 

The TO Gun story goes something like this: Riley Washington apparently robbed someone at gunpoint, apparently it was Tyronne Williams, gave the gun to TO, and he "hid" it under the auspices of waiting to turn it over to the police. 

The hidden gun story is true.  From SI in 1995

Tyrone Williams, a senior cornerback, was charged in March 1994 with two felonies--unlawful discharge of a firearm and use of a weapon to commit a felony--in connection with a Jan. 30, 1994, shooting. Police say that Williams fired two shots into a car occupied by former New York Jet safety Kevin Porter, who was in town visiting friends. Porter was not hit. After the shooting, but before Williams was charged, then-Nebraska assistant Kevin Steele was given Williams's .22 caliber revolver. Then Steele and Osborne locked the gun in a cabinet.

"When the chief of police and I learned that a gun wanted in connection with a felony shooting was in Osborne's possession when it should have been immediately turned over to the police, then you have evidence that is being withheld," Lacey says.

When his actions came to light, Osborne said, "Frankly, if anybody had asked, we would have given it to them sooner. No charges had been filed, so we didn't think anybody was anxious about it." Osborne has said all along that he notified campus police about the gun. Last week Osborne conceded in an interview with SI that prosecutors were probably looking for the gun at the time he filed it away. "The weapon was missing when we asked [Williams] to get it. If we hadn't made him give us the gun, the police might never have gotten it."

• Plus1 4

The reason the Bo hotel story is believable is because it’s not something that is beneath Bo Pelini to do. That’s probably the best type of rumor. Something you can see the person actually doing but is slightly crazier than normal. 

Even though I don’t believe it... I’m only like 60% sure it didn’t happen.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

The Bo booster story seems plausible.  I think it's interesting that the recorded Bo rant post OSU game didn't generate more rumors until it was actually reported on years later.

The Moos story makes me shake my head in disgust.  I still think it was a lame attempt to discredit Moos before he could fire Miles.

An Illini booster reminded me about TO and the gun story which I had completely forgotten about.  I googled it later and came across article(s) about it, probably the SI article posted above.

There's always a lot of crazy rumors surrounding coaching hires.  Tressel in Lincoln had a lot of people convinced he would be the next coach.

The Solich as a womanizer with a drinking problem are strange rumors.  I don't know if they had any factual basis or are as some people suggest, started by SP to justify his decision to fire Frank.

Rumor mongering about the program seems to be a Nebraska past time which I think is both good and bad.  I'm thinking about the PSU scandal where apparently Sandusky was commonly referred to as Jerry the Perv or something similar which is proof rumors existed.  I like to think that If enough decent Nebraskans heard rumors about something scandalous like this that they would demand the facts come out and people held accountable rather than it continuing on for decades.  UNL administrators might react similarly to how the PSU administrators did which is why the press is important.  LJS may fall in line but I believe the OWH would have no problem digging into stories like this and hopefully expose what is going on.  The bad is when someone starts a false rumor which becomes so widespread that it appears credible.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

FWIW, I heard a slightly different version of Bo and the Cornhusker Hotel story. 

A booster’s son was spouting off about how his dad was “going to get Bo fired.” The team stayed at the Cornhusker the night before the UT game, and as they were leaving, Bo spotted this booster’s son. Bo and Carl (somehow) had a sheriff or LPD officer stand look out as they coerced the booster’s son to the basement/parking garage and as the officer stood watch, Bo and Carl unloaded profanities on him, threatening him etc.

1 minute ago, Fru said:

The Solich womanizing/impregnating a coed one always seemed fishy to me. Maybe it was legit, but he just never struck me as that kind of guy. 

I think you're confsuing Solich with Bill McCartney, and the coed with his daughter being impregnated by a player. 

Colorado digs continuing through September 13th!

• Plus1 3
13 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I think you're confsuing Solich with Bill McCartney, and the coed with his daughter being impregnated by a player. 

Colorado digs continuing through September 13th!

I do remember hearing about that Solich rumor as well for whatever worthless grain of salt lol.  Wasn't there also smoke around Carl Pelini's departure being due to him fooling around with a prominent booster's wife?

23 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I do remember hearing about that Solich rumor as well for whatever worthless grain of salt lol.  Wasn't there also smoke around Carl Pelini's departure being due to him fooling around with a prominent booster's wife?

I recall hearing that and something about him being fond of drugs,  coke maybe. 

• Plus1 1