Craziest Husker related football story you have heard?

Anyone of a certain age knows that Frank Solich liked the drink and the ladies. 

For years you could get away with it because it wasn't really a thing. It was a perk. Frank was hardly the only sports coach to indulge. But by the year 2000, it was getting pretty dangerous.

Frank got a DUI in Ohio shortly after he took the MAC job. That's a fact. There was a poster on here who believe Steve Pederson had someone spike Frank's drink to help justify the firing. Frank's own excuses were a little embarrassing.

He was a helluva fullback and a good coach. He just liked the drink and the ladies. 

Also back in that simpler time......Bob Devaney drove drunk almost nightly.  

2 hours ago, Fru said:

FWIW, I heard a slightly different version of Bo and the Cornhusker Hotel story. 

A booster’s son was spouting off about how his dad was “going to get Bo fired.” The team stayed at the Cornhusker the night before the UT game, and as they were leaving, Bo spotted this booster’s son. Bo and Carl (somehow) had a sheriff or LPD officer stand look out as they coerced the booster’s son to the basement/parking garage and as the officer stood watch, Bo and Carl unloaded profanities on him, threatening him etc.

That's how I heard it as well. And I know with probably 90% confidence that the team always stayed at the Cornhusker the night before home games, which would dispel the biggest issue teach has with the story being that Bo wouldn't be able to get in and out without being seen. 

31 minutes ago, Landlord said:

That's how I heard it as well. And I know with probably 90% confidence that the team always stayed at the Cornhusker the night before home games, which would dispel the biggest issue teach has with the story being that Bo wouldn't be able to get in and out without being seen. 

The rumor has always been day of the game, I have never once heard night before.  I say that just because the rumor started with that booster "coming back to the tailgate after the showdown in the basement..."

But who knows!

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

The rumor has always been day of the game, I have never once heard night before.  I say that just because the rumor started with that booster "coming back to the tailgate after the showdown in the basement..."

But who knows!

I always assumed Bo passed by the booster (or his son) in the Cornhusker and they just exchanged “F you’s” and then the story grew into something it wasn’t. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, runningblind said:

I think you're confsuing Solich with Bill McCartney, and the coed with his daughter being impregnated by a player. 

Colorado digs continuing through September 13th!

Nah it was definitely Frank that I heard it about. IIRC, there was also some connection between the girl and David City. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Anyone of a certain age knows that Frank Solich liked the drink and the ladies. 

For years you could get away with it because it wasn't really a thing. It was a perk. Frank was hardly the only sports coach to indulge. But by the year 2000, it was getting pretty dangerous.

Frank got a DUI in Ohio shortly after he took the MAC job. That's a fact. There was a poster on here who believe Steve Pederson had someone spike Frank's drink to help justify the firing. Frank's own excuses were a little embarrassing.

He was a helluva fullback and a good coach. He just liked the drink and the ladies. 

Also back in that simpler time......Bob Devaney drove drunk almost nightly.  

Yeah Bob liked to drink as did Joe Cipriano, often times together I've heard. I do know for a fact that Cipriano was absolutely wasted in the middle of a day when I went to his basketball camp back in 78ish. He came in to an afternoon session looking like Joe Lounge Lizard, shirt unbuttoned to his navel and long gold chains. He came in yelled at all the campers for awhile, slurring his words and stumbling about then he left. Absolutely true story.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

I do remember hearing about that Solich rumor as well for whatever worthless grain of salt lol.  Wasn't there also smoke around Carl Pelini's departure being due to him fooling around with a prominent booster's wife?

Carl fooling around with a booster’s wife was true. She divorced her husband and she went with Carl to Florida when he took the FAU head coaching job. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

My brother told me that when Devaney was AD he would drive his Cadillac thru campus to get to his office at the football stadium. He literally drove his car on the large sidewalks which students use to walk thru campus. He was also a big drinker and he would go out with Barry Switzer the Friday night before the OU game every year.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1