Craziest Husker related football story you have heard?

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think when NU was awesome, the Lincoln and campus police were best friends with the coaches and players. Since, NU has been pretty mediocre the past 20 years, the cops have been out to get the players. 

I think cell phones and social media probably changed it a bit as well...

I bet players almost hate hitting up the bars now...with Cell Phone Sally just waiting to take a picture and post it.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Carl fooling around with a booster’s wife was true. She divorced her husband and she went with Carl to Florida when he took the FAU head coaching job. 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Carl married that booster's daughter.

She is a former Miss Nebraska (2008). Andrea Stine, from Elkhorn.

They applied for their marriage license in Saunders Co in 2014.

Here's the two of them together.

Sonofagun...

This isn’t a rumor, but I thought this was pretty funny when I was at UNL. I worked with this girl who was dating Adam Julch (offensive tackle, 1995-99). During that time, the players would always wear white hats with their numbers on the front in big, red font. This girl would always say that she would get heckled by fans when she would go to games wearing the hat with Adam’s number.

Does anyone remember what number Adam wore for the Huskers?

Julch wore #69 so the heckling makes sense...on a side note, those hats were awesome.  Would be a cool thing to bring back.

These aren't really crazy rumors or anything, but a few stories that some of y'all might get a kick out of. They come from a friend of mine that was on the team for Callahan's last season. 

- Gruden was around constantly. Always hanging out with Bill and the players. Said he was a cool guy. 

- Before the USC game, Callahan tried to rally the troops by giving some big speech. Apparently it didn't go over real well. At the end of it Callahan singled out Carl Nicks and was like "Carl, you've got a daughter right? Well I want you to imagine that USC D-lineman doing (insert horrible string of disgusting things here) to your daughter. That's how I want you to play tonight." 

- Constant fights and scuffles during practice. One in particular where Victory Haines' nose was broken so badly, he had to have reconstructive surgery on his airways/sinuses, effectively ending his football career. 

- One RB would brazenly steal things from the lockers of "weaker" players (kickers, punters, Freshman)

- Several players blazed up before games. 

• Plus1 2

I also recall hearing once that after the loss to ASU in 96, Frost went off on TO in the locker room after the game. Frost routinely paid the price in practice for his outburst. Absolutely no clue if there's any validity to it. I think the Peter brothers have been fairly vocal in saying they roughed up Scott quite a bit when he came back from Stanford, and the whole thing with LP. 

3 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Weren't there tons of smoke about Marvin Sanders having relations with a student as well? Man, I feel like Bo never recovered from his departure. 

The Marvin Sanders rumor I enjoyed the most was that he liked to indulge in promiscuous women and use the company credit card in those indulgences. 

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Anyone of a certain age knows that Frank Solich liked the drink and the ladies. 

For years you could get away with it because it wasn't really a thing. It was a perk. Frank was hardly the only sports coach to indulge. But by the year 2000, it was getting pretty dangerous.

Frank got a DUI in Ohio shortly after he took the MAC job. That's a fact. There was a poster on here who believe Steve Pederson had someone spike Frank's drink to help justify the firing. Frank's own excuses were a little embarrassing.

He was a helluva fullback and a good coach. He just liked the drink and the ladies. 

Also back in that simpler time......Bob Devaney drove drunk almost nightly.  

" This.  I can't speak to his drinking to excess in Lincoln, but I do know the DUI in Ohio is real.  I think he got divorced shortly before or after.

Fun fact - I actually used to serve Frank & his wife on many Sunday nights at the Misty's on 56th & Hwy 2 (which is gone I think).  He always had one Miller Lite draft and no more with his dinner and they'd sit up in an area by the bar that was typically closed down on weeknights.  He was a very fair tipper, and I looked forward to them coming in, Sunday's were slow.

7 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Remember Scotty Baldwin?  His story got overshadowed by Phillips and others, but that was when cops looked the other way a LOT.  There were lots of issues in the 90's.

I met Scott Baldwin when Dr. Stark was working with him to work through his mental health issues. I was a kid in high school and he was over at Dr. Stark’s house, Dr. Stark was trying to help him through his issues. He came out and shot some hoops with us. I’m not excusing what Baldwin did, but the guy was suffering from major mental health issues.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I met Scott Baldwin when Dr. Stark was working with him to work through his mental health issues. I’m not excusing what Baldwin did, but the guy was suffering from major mental health issues.

Everyone that has met you ends up with some issues!

• Haha 2

I met Scott Baldwin when Dr. Stark was working with him to work through his mental health issues. I was a kid in high school and he was over at Dr. Stark’s house, Dr. Stark was trying to help him through his issues. He came out and shot some hoops with us. I’m not excusing what Baldwin did, but the guy was suffering from major mental health issues.

He was a great guy - dated a friend of mine off and on before the shooting and she stayed in touch with him.  The whole thing was sad, I do wonder if we knew what we know today about mental health if anything would have been different.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

One of the funniest rumors from when I was in school was why Jason Peter didn’t travel to the Kansas State game in Manhattan in 1994. He supposedly had a “groin injury” from microwaving a piece of liver and using it to masturbate. He proceeded to burn his member and couldn’t play that week. 

5 hours ago, teachercd said:

Yep!  I was going to bring this up.

No way this is true. Think about it. If that really happened, would you ever ever tell anyone? It's a great rumor story tho.