Do you support allowing college athletes to be paid for ''their likeness''?

I understand that the state of California may pass a law that would require the NCAA to permit athletes to be compensated for ''their likeness''. Do you support this potential new law? 

I'm not Nostradamus so I won't make any predictions on how it would affect NCAA athletics, but I'll take a guess that such a law would be detrimental. After all, what isn't detrimentally affected once the government decides to step in and take over?

• Plus1 2

48 minutes ago, K9Buck said:

After all, what isn't detrimentally affected once the government decides to step in and take over?

If we're comparing the quality of governance/regulation by the NCAA and the US government, I'll take the US government every time.

I support paying college athletes, including for likeness, ever since the money coming in has exploded into the billions.

• Plus1 4

I think it will happen eventually. It will be interesting to see how its done though. Does a star quarterback for a national title contender get more than a backup on a bottom feeder from the sun belt? Does the school pay them which would be hard since most dont turn a profit or does it come from espn and fox. I don't know how it will play out but I'm sure it won't go smoothly.

33 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

If we're comparing the quality of governance/regulation by the NCAA and the US government, I'll take the US government every time.

I don't share that view.  I don't agree with the concept of the government injecting itself into every facet of our lives.  Then again, I'm not a statist.  If government didn't wreck everything it touched, I might be inclined to agree with you.  

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, K9Buck said:

what isn't detrimentally affected once the government decides to step in and take over?

Lots of things.

And "take over" is an exaggeration, anyway.

40 minutes ago, K9Buck said:

If government didn't wreck everything it touched

It doesn't.

• Plus1 3

If these multi billion dollar companies are going to continue to make insane amounts of money off the players they deserve a cut. In what other scenario does a company make so much money without compensating the people featured? 

However, I think it needs to be done in a way that doesn't lead to recruiting advantages. Otherwise you'll see power even more consolidated and it'll be the same schools getting the best recruits and winning over and over again. So, I don't think the money can come from the schools and maybe not even the NCAA.

40 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The former NCAA College Football video game was one. College teams used to sell jerseys of their top players each year. Team autographed footballs are sold all the time  Those are just a few. 

The video game was abolished years ago due to a lawsuit.  Can you provide a CURRENT and specific example of someone profiting off of the image of a player's likeness?  

41 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Lots of things.

And "take over" is an exaggeration, anyway.

It doesn't.

LOL.  Virtually everything government touches ends up costing more and delivering less.  Do you really want the state of California running the NCAA?  Thank God for the electoral college.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

If these multi billion dollar companies are going to continue to make insane amounts of money off the players they deserve a cut. In what other scenario does a company make so much money without compensating the people featured? 

However, I think it needs to be done in a way that doesn't lead to recruiting advantages. Otherwise you'll see power even more consolidated and it'll be the same schools getting the best recruits and winning over and over again. So, I don't think the money can come from the schools and maybe not even the NCAA.