Do you support allowing college athletes to be paid for ''their likeness''?

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Money will have even more control in determining where players go and the chasm between haves and have nots will widen greatly.

The chasm between the two has always been massive. The best teams already get the best players.

I think players being allowed to profit off their likeness would actually level the playing field a tad. Not a lot, but more so than it is now.

With this new way, a five-star QB from Tulsa now may actually stay in Tulsa if he can profit off his likeness. Now, he may not stay. But as is now, he's going to Alabama, Clemson, Georgia or Oklahoma. At least with this way, Tulsa or North Texas have a chance.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, K9Buck said:

Leftists always want to censor discussion. 

You seem triggered.  You could ignore the thread.  

You, yourself deemed this thread unnecessary a long time ago....

I'm not for censoring, just by following board rules.  My god man: you hate free enterprise, you hate rules set forth by private entities; you sound like a communist!!!!!

I hope you get to P&R, you won't last 1 week...

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Boy, I just caught up with the last two pages of this thread. What a sh#tshow this turned into. It had potential for thoughtful discussion. Had.

I made that comment with a friendly warning a while back...

I want a damned cookie!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hans Gruber said:

The chasm between the two has always been massive. The best teams already get the best players.

I think players being allowed to profit off their likeness would actually level the playing field a tad. Not a lot, but more so than it is now.

With this new way, a five-star QB from Tulsa now may actually stay in Tulsa if he can profit off his likeness. Now, he may not stay. But as is now, he's going to Alabama, Clemson, Georgia or Oklahoma. At least with this way, Tulsa or North Texas have a chance.

I hope you're right but I really think this opens it up even more for the scenario where boosters can help funnel that likeness money to their star recruits and players. I can't see how that possibly levels the playing field and doesn't make it even more lopsided. 

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I hope you're right but I really think this opens it up even more for the scenario where boosters can help funnel that likeness money to their star recruits and players. I can't see how that possibly levels the playing field and doesn't make it even more lopsided. 

Each team will still only have 85 scholarships, so it’s not like SEC Team X can stockpile all the best players. Also kids are going to want to play, they aren’t just going to go to the highest bidder to sit on the bench.

And again, incoming freshmen are going to be at the bottom of the pay scale when

it comes to making money off their likeness.  Boosters will smarten up and stop paying hot shot incoming freshmen large sums of money once they realize that less than 50% pan out.

27 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Each team will still only have 85 scholarships, so it’s not like SEC Team X can stockpile all the best players. Also kids are going to want to play, they aren’t just going to go to the highest bidder to sit on the bench.

And again, incoming freshmen are going to be at the bottom of the pay scale when

it comes to making money off their likeness.  Boosters will smarten up and stop paying hot shot incoming freshmen large sums of money once they realize that less than 50% pan out.

You have more faith than I do as to how boosters will smarten up to save their money. I think it more likely that it turns into an unrestrained contest to see who can help the hottest commodity find their way to campus and be extremely well taken care of while there....all courtesy of booster x.

I hope I'm wrong and that you're right.

22 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Man, without a certain someone, this thread died like a Joe Bauserman pass into the late-night Lincoln sky. 

He sent me a private message yesterday inviting me to talk politics at some Ohio State message board.

I'm sure you will all be stunned to hear that I did not take him up on his request.