What will our defense be good at this season?

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

...and if Tannor can step it up.

Yes. Tannor is absolutely a potential 'X' factor this season. 

This will probably be the last time I post this train of thought (at least for a while), but what will be interesting to see is whether or not we're aggressive with our linebackers this year or not.

If we're not and we also wind up not playing well, the responses here will be interesting, because the theme from most posters is that "Chinander didn't have the right roster to be aggressive."

So my question is, does he have that roster now? Gifford and Young graduated. Domann was hurt for about half the year. So there are some differences coming into the season if Domann stays healthy. But my big contention is that you're going to get trampled in the B1G in a 3-4 if you don't play aggressively; this is basic.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yes. Tannor is absolutely a potential 'X' factor this season. 

This will probably be the last time I post this train of thought (at least for a while), but what will be interesting to see is whether or not we're aggressive with our linebackers this year or not.

If we're not and we also wind up not playing well, the responses here will be interesting, because the theme from most posters is that "Chinander didn't have the right roster to be aggressive."

So my question is, does he have that roster now? Gifford and Young graduated. Domann was hurt for about half the year. So there are some differences coming into the season if Domann stays healthy. But my big contention is that you're going to get trampled in the B1G in a 3-4 if you don't play aggressively; this is basic.

That was my gripe last year. How can anyone expect to get pressure when you have 3 down lineman going against 5-6 blockers? 

6 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

That was my gripe last year. How can anyone expect to get pressure when you have 3 down lineman going against 5-6 blockers? 

In most cases you want your nose to eat up 2 guys at least. That should open up at least one linebacker. Also, you need backers and dlinemen to beat someone. 

4 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

In most cases you want your nose to eat up 2 guys at least.

Easier said than done. Partly because it depends on how the offense you're going up against game planned for you.

This is especially problematic against Wisconsin where you're going up against multiple All Big Ten linemen; they're not just big, strong bodies - they're also well coached and smart players. They will have a plan to either double team your nose guard or have one guy step into the next level to hit a linebacker. 

Again, if we want to say last year's Wisconsin game is a mulligan when they ran for 370 on us, that's fine. But in my opinion there are no more excuses left for anybody heading into year 2.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Undone said:

Easier said than done. Partly because it depends on how the offense you're going up against game planned for you.

This is especially problematic against Wisconsin where you're going up against multiple All Big Ten linemen; they're not just big, strong bodies - they're also well coached and smart players. They will have a plan to either double team your nose guard or have one guy step into the next level to hit a linebacker. 

Again, if we want to say last year's Wisconsin game is a mulligan when they ran for 370 on us, that's fine. But in my opinion there are no more excuses left for anybody heading into year 2.

I agree that it's easier said than done, but Wisconsin does run a base 3-4 and have good defenses. Just like with any schemes there are ways to beat it and you just have to execute better. 

This year we have a true 3-4 nose and d ends. If we get good play out of our outside backers the defense should work this year. If it doesn't I agree you can't use the personnel excuse from last year. 

• Plus1 2

6 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Chinander's play calling last year was almost completely dictated by injuries and roster deficiencies.  I'm not saying he is Charlie McBride, but I'd like to see what he can do with some Jimmies and Joes.

Would the southern equivalent be Jimmy Bobs and Joe Bobs?