Republican Anti-Democracy and Voter Disenfranchisement

18 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

For those of you that didn't see it in the other thread

I've always thought we should show ID to vote. I show ID to buy booze, so it's not such a huge burden for me. 

I understand the accusations of poll taxes, and I understand that elections are secure enough with one address = one vote, but it still seems weird to me that I don't have to prove I am who I say I am. 

• Plus1 3

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I've always thought we should show ID to vote. I show ID to buy booze, so it's not such a huge burden for me. 

I understand the accusations of poll taxes, and I understand that elections are secure enough with one address = one vote, but it still seems weird to me that I don't have to prove I am who I say I am. 

A very reasoned outlook that I happen to agree with. This is the hot button for a lot of the left, similar to gun control for the right. There has to be some middle ground on both issues. I liked your earlier proposal of combining the two so that everyone gets a little and gives a little. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

I agree.  The devil is in the details though.  How it's implemented is the important part.

• Plus1 3

One of the better reads, that I have seen, on GA voting law

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/31/politics/fact-check-georgia-voting-bill-law-elections-explained/index.html

The "but no water" thing blew up on Twitter. I have yet to understand how it is even a bone of contention. Here is what it says:

Another section of the law, which has generated criticism from Biden and others, limits how voters can be provided food and drink in the vicinity of a voting location. The law makes it a misdemeanor for "any person" to give or offer "any money or gifts," including "food and drink," to any voter within a polling place, within 150 feet of the building housing a polling place, or "within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place."
This provision is located in the same paragraph as a provision banning campaign activity in these locations, but the provision doesn't prohibit only people who are campaigning from giving out food and drink. It says "any person," not just campaigners.
There is, however, one exception: poll officers are allowed to make available "self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in line to vote." And it's perhaps worth noting that there is not a prohibition on voters in line buying food and drink for themselves; the provision is about other people providing "money or gifts" including food and drink.

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

One of the better reads, that I have seen, on GA voting law

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/31/politics/fact-check-georgia-voting-bill-law-elections-explained/index.html

The "but no water" thing blew up on Twitter. I have yet to understand how it is even a bone of contention. Here is what it says:

Another section of the law, which has generated criticism from Biden and others, limits how voters can be provided food and drink in the vicinity of a voting location. The law makes it a misdemeanor for "any person" to give or offer "any money or gifts," including "food and drink," to any voter within a polling place, within 150 feet of the building housing a polling place, or "within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place."
This provision is located in the same paragraph as a provision banning campaign activity in these locations, but the provision doesn't prohibit only people who are campaigning from giving out food and drink. It says "any person," not just campaigners.
There is, however, one exception: poll officers are allowed to make available "self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in line to vote." And it's perhaps worth noting that there is not a prohibition on voters in line buying food and drink for themselves; the provision is about other people providing "money or gifts" including food and drink.

It was already illegal to give anything as a gift that could influence a vote including food and water. This change in the law was specifically to make standing in line to vote more difficult.

• Plus1 3

33 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It was already illegal to give anything as a gift that could influence a vote including food and water. This change in the law was specifically to make standing in line to vote more difficult.

Okay, but you (or Mr Doucette) still only say it's terrible to not allow water to be given out. WHY? If I anticipate standing in line to vote, I would probably take a bottle of water, or fountain soda, with me if I believed I would become thirsty. Is that beyond the realm of thinking in GA? Bring your own beverage, and then there are zero issues?

And what about the rest of the law...?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Okay, but you (or Mr Doucette) still only say it's terrible to not allow water to be given out. WHY? If I anticipate standing in line to vote, I would probably take a bottle of water, or fountain soda, with me if I believed I would become thirsty. Is that beyond the realm of thinking in GA? Bring your own beverage, and then there are zero issues?

And what about the rest of the law...?

Why is banning water being passed out even a thing that needs to be legislated? What's the motivation?

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Why is it a big deal?

Why is banning water being passed out even a thing that needs to be legislated? What's the motivation?

9 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

What about the rest of the law?

I haven't analyzed the rest of the law. Might be good or bad. But that's really besides the point of why the particulars of banning sharing food and water are in there.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I haven't analyzed the rest of the law. Might be good or bad. But that's really besides the point of why the particulars of banning sharing food and water are in there.

If you don't wish to answer my question, that's fine. I will answer yours, as I did earlier in this thread: quid pro quo

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I honestly don't get this reference? Me or GA voting...?

You're accusing me of not answering your questions while you are not answering my questions. Particularly when I answered your question in the post you were replying to.

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You're accusing me of not answering your questions while you are not answering my questions. Particularly when I answered your question in the post you were replying to.

I guess I haven't seen your answer. You propose a hypothetical in the post I referenced.

As for me, picture this: 

At a GA polling location, in May or November, there is a line of folks waiting to vote. A person pulls a wagon that contains a cooler full of bottled water, and asks folks in line at the polling place if they are thirsty. A large photo of Stacy Abrams or Jon Ossof (or Brian Kemp) is posted on the side of the wagon and cooler. The politician depicted may not even be in the race for this election, but are popular representatives for each party in GA.

Do you disagree that it might encourage voters in line believe that Abrams party, or Kemp's party, should get their vote because they were thirsty and were given water? That is what I meant by quid pro quo, and it was not in reference to your previous repeated non answers. Who does this "disenfranchise" and how in the world does it affect POC more than anyone else on election day?

My other point still stands. If I believe I will have to stand in line an inordinate amount of time, and I might get thirsty, I would take a beverage with me. I think that this whole thing has been blown out of proportion for the optics. 

And, regarding the weather in GA for elections, the average daily high temp in May is 80 and the average for November is 63. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

I guess I haven't seen your answer. You propose a hypothetical in the post I referenced.

I even broke out the question I was answering from the rest of your post:

2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

What about the rest of the law?

2 hours ago, RedDenver said: