Republican Anti-Democracy and Voter Disenfranchisement

9 hours ago, knapplc said:

I'm all for making voting easier, more accessible, and more interesting to all Americans.

I'm interested in knowing how any new laws in any state legislatures makes that happen.

Anyone here want to explain how this Georgia law makes voting easier, more accessible, and/or more interesting for Joe on the Street?

Easier should not mean no rules...easier should not mean 3 months to cast a vote...easier should not be shotgunning ballots out to every post office box or address...easier should not mean drop boxes on food trucks...easier does not mean "no ID/no problem"

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Easier should not mean no rules...easier should not mean 3 months to cast a vote...easier should not be shotgunning ballots out to every post office box or address...easier should not mean drop boxes on food trucks...easier does not mean "no ID/no problem"

This is weird thinking.

No one thinks there should be "no rules."

Three months to cast a vote - why is this a problem? This is a no-brainer "yes" for anyone who loves democracy.

Mailing ballots to voters - this is another "duh" no-brainer. Why wouldn't we do that? Why force people to go to a polling place? Vote by mail is no less secure than any other method of voting. It's insane not to want this for a true democracy.

Drop boxes on food trucks - where is this a problem?

No ID/no problem - again, where is this a problem?

You literally solve no problems with any of these measures. All of them (even the food truck thing?) would make it easier for people to vote.

This is a list of things we should all want our fellow Americans to have access to. It's weird that these are presented as "problems."

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

This is weird thinking.

Three months to cast a vote - why is this a problem? This is a no-brainer "yes" for anyone who loves democracy.

Mailing ballots to voters - this is another "duh" no-brainer. Why wouldn't we do that? Why force people to go to a polling place? Vote by mail is no less secure than any other method of voting. It's insane not to want this for a true democracy.

You literally solve no problems with any of these measures. All of them (even the food truck thing?) would make it easier for people to vote.

This is a list of things we should all want our fellow Americans to have access to. It's weird that these are presented as "problems."

All these voter disenfranchisement laws being proposed/passed around the country are due to this psychopath's Big Lie (see above).

People who support these changes can't identify what problem they are intended to fix because there are no documentable problems to fix.  It's all based on a red herring.

So either these people can't keep their eye on the ball, that this was the most secure election in our country's history and thus no changes needed, or they are good with the attempted neo-Jim Crowism sweeping the country.  Either way they are complicit to the erosion of American democracy.

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

This is weird thinking.

(I didn't write this, but am in full agreement)

Why would you oppose voter ID? Why do you need longer hours to vote? No one has opposed absentee ballots. Absentee voting requires you to request a ballot at which time you have to show an ID to prove who you are. Why would you not want voters to prove who they are? Why would voting day need to be on a holiday? What holiday would that be in November? Do you know that employers have to allow time off for you to vote? I for one, am surprised people do not want, in the most important election in this country, for people to have to prove who they are and live where they are supposed to live to be able to vote. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Why would you oppose voter ID? Why do you need longer hours to vote? No one has opposed absentee ballots. Absentee voting requires you to request a ballot at which time you have to show an ID to prove who you are. Why would you not want voters to prove who they are? Why would voting day need to be on a holiday? What holiday would that be in November? Do you know that employers have to allow time off for you to vote? I for one, am surprised people do not want, in the most important election in this country, for people to have to prove who they are and live where they are supposed to live to be able to vote. 

Please post the evidence of voter fraud that would then require making voting more difficult rather than more inclusive.  I'll wait.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

None of that opinion answers the questions I posed - what problems are being solved by doing any of the things we've been talking about?

There is no voter fraud. The election was not stolen in 2020. This is all lies created by trump & his ilk because his fragile ego can't stand to lose.

This law is not necessary and it restricts voting rights.

Why would you oppose voter ID? Because it can be used to create a poll tax.

Why do you need longer hours to vote? Because too many districts are underserved by polling places in this country.

No one has opposed absentee ballots. The GOP did when it proclaimed the election results should be KNOWN on Election Night.

Absentee voting requires you to request a ballot at which time you have to show an ID to prove who you are. Not in every state, not every time you request an absentee ballot.

Why would you not want voters to prove who they are? Every voter has to verify who they are via their address. One vote per name per address. No double voting. Also, see the poll tax answer above.

Why would voting day need to be on a holiday? To make it easier for American citizens to exercise their most basic freedom.

What holiday would that be in November? Election Day.

Do you know that employers have to allow time off for you to vote? Yes, but there are restrictions that can apply based on your state. Take that decision out of the employer's hand.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-politics-legislature-local-elections-bills-73b331234cec8c966bb2308f6ed1696e

"The measure will allow the Legislature to select the chair of the state election board and make the elected secretary of state a nonvoting member of the panel, essentially sidelining the chief election officer who was picked by voters. The board could then remove local election officials and replace them."

This is probably the most insidious element of the Georgia voting bill.  Now just remove anyone not willing to play ball.  Easy enough to find those votes Trump was asking for.  This is democracy?  Sounds more like a banana republic.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

Please post the evidence of voter fraud that would then require making voting more difficult rather than more inclusive.  I'll wait.

You make me laugh :thumbs

1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-politics-legislature-local-elections-bills-73b331234cec8c966bb2308f6ed1696e

"The measure will allow the Legislature to select the chair of the state election board and make the elected secretary of state a nonvoting member of the panel, essentially sidelining the chief election officer who was picked by voters. The board could then remove local election officials and replace them."

This is probably the most insidious element of the Georgia voting bill.  Now just remove anyone not willing to play ball.  Easy enough to find those votes Trump was asking for.  This is democracy?  Sounds more like a banana republic.

Agreed. I said same thing earlier.